• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Book Fading

51 posts in this topic

If you really want to display them, UV film is affordable, and you can apply it to the window and the top loaders.

I just bought this one to put over my top loaders

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VViViD-Matte-Clear-Protective-Film-12-x-60-Vinyl-Sheet-for-Car-Auto-Vehicle-/151267081027?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item2338387b43&vxp=mtr&autorefresh=true

Thanks again :grin:

Why? (shrug)

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. Comics are fine art to me. Museums display art all the time. Displaying ASM#129 (First appearance of a hero in stripper boots) in my office, is a lot more appealing to me than an expensive picture of Africa. I guess I could ask you the same question, why do you keep them in the closet?

I don't! (shrug)

If you really want to display them, UV film is affordable, and you can apply it to the window and the top loaders.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VViViD-Matte-Clear-Protective-Film-12-x-60-Vinyl-Sheet-for-Car-Auto-Vehicle-/151267081027?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item2338387b43&vxp=mtr&autorefresh=true

Why? (shrug)

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. Comics are fine art to me. Museums display art all the time. Displaying ASM#129 (First appearance of a hero in stripper boots) in my office, is a lot more appealing to me than an expensive picture of Africa. I guess I could ask you the same question, why do you keep them in the closet?

I don't! (shrug)

Then what's the "why" for?

Why? (shrug)

I don't! (shrug)

The auto protective film. :makepoint:

Why? (shrug)

I don't! (shrug)

The auto protective film. :makepoint:

It's explained...I bolded it for you. :makepoint:

I am pretty sure a Boardie did a test of a display just as you describe. No direct light, but natural light came in. He did it for 1 year and there was no fading. And this was a boardie I trust. (mschmidt)

Edited by faster friends

I am pretty sure a Boardie did a test of a display just as you describe. No direct light, but natural light came in. He did it for 1 year and there was no fading. And this was a boardie I trust. (mschmidt)

I found the thread!!!

http://cgcforum.gpanalysis.com/cgcforum_thread.asp?pagenumber=4&ThreadID=4403873&forumID=4&threadName=Do+any+of+you+guys+display+your+CGC%27s%3F

Do CGC cases have UV protection?

Edited by MrGreen

Why are half of the replies - print out a scan and put that on the wall? Why not just print out a AF #15, just seems silly to own something that can never be displayed.

My thoughts exactly, I went with UV blocking film over toploaders

Right after MsSchmidt's comments about his at home test for a year showing no visible fading was another boardie's (Mister_Comics) comment that he worked in product testing for fading and light always fades, even if slowly. He mentions that by the time you notice it - it is too late.

I have way too many comics to think in terms of display. I think in terms of collecting and preserving.

To each their own. Once purchased, it belongs to its new owner. Display it or not.

My new Ultimate spider-man #1 had a tear on the spine, so with this thread in mind, I put it in a cheap bag and board (from a Midtown order) and put it in my window of my comic book room inside the blinds, so it is always exposed. Faces north, so gets light all day, some direct sun, some not. Placed it on Mothers day, and will scan it every so often for several months to see how it does. May not be scientific, but certainly 'real world'.

So far, about 234 hours of natural light, a good deal of bright sunshine, and no noticeable fading. I set it next to another copy from my boxes, and couldn't tell them apart. I am feeling better about having them in my dark room on display with only a few hours of LED light per month!

window picture

Window.jpg

5-10-14

51014start.jpg

5-16-14

051614suntest.jpg

5-28-14

052814.jpg

Edited by Bill1

My new Ultimate spider-man #1 had a tear on the spine, so with this thread in mind, I put it in a cheap bag and board (from a Midtown order) and put it in my window of my comic book room inside the blinds, so it is always exposed. Faces north, so gets light all day, some direct sun, some not. Placed it on Mothers day, and will scan it every so often for several months to see how it does. May not be scientific, but certainly 'real world'.

So far, about 234 hours of natural light, a good deal of bright sunshine, and no noticeable fading. I set it next to another copy from my boxes, and couldn't tell them apart. I am feeling better about having them in my dark room on display with only a few hours of LED light per month!

window picture

Window.jpg

5-10-14

51014start.jpg

5-16-14

051614suntest.jpg

5-28-14

052814.jpg

No, I wanted to see how a new book would react- no way to tell if an older book has already faded. My position is that the new books are better quality paper and inks and everything, and are unlikely to fade anytime soon,

Maybe a multi-book test? Modern, CA, BA, SA?

I know, it's asking a lot...

:eek:

-slym

Too much for me, and you would have to use like-new older books for it to be at all accurate, and I wouldn't want to volunteer any.

My point, in all of this, is that comics today are much more resilient to light/acid than they were 20 plus years ago. Having young collectors all worked up over even displaying their collection is just not necessary any longer. Paper, covers, boxes, bags, boards, etc. are all much better quality than they used to be. Spend your money on more comics, not expensive, unnecessary ways to protect them from imagined problems.

My point, in all of this, is that comics today are much more resilient to light/acid than they were 20 plus years ago.

Well, why didn't you say that in the first place? hm

Or did you? lol

:gossip: And here I thought you were the OP - talk about thread hijack. :baiting:

My point, in all of this, is that comics today are much more resilient to light/acid than they were 20 plus years ago.

Well, why didn't you say that in the first place? hm

Or did you? lol

:gossip: And here I thought you were the OP - talk about thread hijack. :baiting:

Just trying to provide useful information relevant to the OP's question. You should try it!