• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reasonable Price for ASM 361

489 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, kimik said:

There are plenty of newsstand copies. I know two local collectors, one of whom is a boardie, that were on the ball and went around to clean out all of the newsstands they could hit of ASM #361 when it came out. One of them also placed a big spec order at his LCS and has/had nice stacks of both.

I imagine speculation orders on this one were rather light, based on that 1/6th page cover shot in #359. Sharp eyed readers.

Stupid me, I bought tons of #358...cuz, you know...gimmicks.

9 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I imagine speculation orders on this one were rather light, based on that 1/6th page cover shot in #359. Sharp eyed readers.

Stupid me, I bought tons of #358...cuz, you know...gimmicks.

I've got a few sets of that crossover story arc. 

23 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Newsstand copies from 1992...despite what misinformation Chuck Rozanski believes...are not rare in any way, especially in high grade, and especially for books that were "instantly hot", like this one. This was a book that, due to the distribution of the newsstand at the time, was scooped up the day it came out, as it was already a $5-$10 book for Direct market copies. That "scooping up" meant those books didn't have time to be mangled on magazine racks.

Those who try to hype newsstand copies as "rare!" or "rare in high grade!" are usually trying to sell you something.

ASM #361 has a lot of 9.8s, true...but it isn't anywhere near as common as #362, or #363, or #375, or #365 (which was the only issue of ASM to ever break the 1,000,000 copy print run barrier.) And while this was in the era of "let's print a bazillion of everything!!", it wasn't quite at that point for everything just yet. That would come with #365. ASM #361 had highER print numbers than immediately preceding issues, but not MUCH higher.

I don't have my Krause handy at the moment, but the number for #361 from Cap City were, I think, in the neighborhood of 60,000..maybe 61k? Not substantially more than #359 or #360 (in fact, I think #353, the first issue of the Punisher crossover...remember when THOSE meant something...?...was substantially higher than #361.)

#362 had much higher orders, and #363 had orders topping 102k. 102,000 copies JUST for Capital City. #363 had orders, and an extrapolated print run, almost 60% higher than #363.

And newsstand copies of ASM #361 are probably rareR than Direct copies by perhaps a factor of 1:1.05. In other words, for every 1,000 newsstand copies, there are, perhaps, 1,050 Direct copies.

Not rare.

At all.

No, I'm not currently selling any.

I remember going to all the 7 elevens and scooping up all the 361s newsstand. I would agree that the 361 newsstand copies had a less rate of return..probably less than 5%. With all the hype on 361, I decided to buy 100 copies on  362 and 500 copies of 363 and many others speculated on those books as well. Since with all this Caranage news, 362 and 363 is continuing to dry up. Wish I still had that many of 361-363 as I did before.

19 hours ago, divad said:

Although, this doesn't extrapolate. :hi:

You are not a local collector, but great move. :whee:

I picked up as many as I could in the $20-$30 range (or less) a few years back. I think I am down to just a couple of 2nds and a handful of raw 1st prints, unfortunately. Raw 8.0 - 9.2 copies have been selling for $50 - $80 for us at shows for at least four years here now. It is nice to see the rest of the markets finally catching up. lol

38 minutes ago, divad said:

Yeah! (But you live on Long Island . . . the birthplace of comic books, and a densely populated market). Bravo!  (thumbsu

Actually I was living in Queens, NY at the time that I snapped these up. I was only able to buy two copies from my LCS. When I tried the other shops in the metropolitan area they were all sold out. Three weeks later I hit up most of the newsstands in Queens and the rest is history. All together I had around 127 copies give or take.  I sold a few here and there through out the years. Today I still have 86 copies left.

I also pre ordered around 100 or more copies of 362 & 363 at around 30 percent discount from cover.

1 hour ago, mr_highgrade said:

Actually I was living in Queens, NY at the time that I snapped these up. I was only able to buy two copies from my LCS. When I tried the other shops in the metropolitan area they were all sold out. Three weeks later I hit up most of the newsstands in Queens and the rest is history. All together I had around 127 copies give or take.  I sold a few here and there through out the years. Today I still have 86 copies left.

I also pre ordered around 100 or more copies of 362 & 363 at around 30 percent discount from cover.

(worship) (Maybe RMA is right?) . . . nah! lol

1 hour ago, mr_highgrade said:

Yeah, that sure sounds typical across the country.

I have 20-30 #361s, but far, far too many #362s and #363s...10 packs worth. Ugh. Maybe now they'll finally be movable! ;)

#362 and #363 have been steady sellers at $10 - $15 apiece over the past three or four years at local shows. Collectors see Carnage and Venom on the cover and buy them. lol

2 hours ago, kimik said:

#362 and #363 have been steady sellers at $10 - $15 apiece over the past three or four years at local shows. Collectors see Carnage and Venom on the cover and buy them. lol

Sure, but isn't that, like, 37 cents US...?

:shy:

On 6/24/2017 at 1:21 PM, ygogolak said:

Rarity is a dangerous word to use in an instance.

the simple logic is that people buying them at 7-11 or the grocery store were not taking as good of care of them as people buying them at a comic store where they also sell comic supplies. Are there deviations like Mr. Pine above? Of course.

Dont make it harder equation than that. Is it true? nobody knows now and they will never know for certain.

On 6/25/2017 at 0:54 PM, mr_highgrade said:

:whistle:

IMG_2252.JPG

Now that we do know for certain I think some mea culpa might be in order?

1 hour ago, Broke as a Joke said:
1 hour ago, ThothAmon said:

There are people that swear that 361 was not a hoarded book when it came out.  Looking back it seems comical now.

You forget that the people who post here are not representative of the world-at-large. Yes, three professional collectors hoarded the book (or attempted to) when it came out. I'm sure other dealers did as well.  But the vast number of the comic-buying public did not.  And I would venture that most of the dealers dumped their inventory below $20 each . . . Why wouldn't they? A quick $15-18 an issue in 1992? Hello???

8 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

It's funny when people see 50 copies of a book and think that has any bearing whatsoever on how many are out there. Print run was 100,000k + correct.

50 would be 0.05%