• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gotham
3 3

1,832 posts in this topic

New Catwoman actress on the way!

gotham-finale-lili-simmons-as-catwoman-1167891.thumb.jpeg.0d0f8ff5fa39ef8814769a8e4c93b30b.jpeg

FOX has released the first look at Lili Simmons as Catwoman in the series finale of Gotham. The series finale jumps ahead 10 years to show Batman battling the Joker and other villains from his rogues' gallery in the world of Gotham.

Selina Kyle has been played by Camren Bicondova throughout the series, but Bicondova chose to step aside to let another actress play the role as she would appear ten years into the future.

“I have important news to share, and I ask that you continue reading with open minds and understanding hearts,” Bicondova said in a statement released on Twitter. “April 18th’s episode, 511, was my last appearance as Selina Kyle in Gotham. It’s important to me that I’m the one to tell you this because it was a choice that I made, through a lot of thoughts, prayer, and time (which Warner Bros., FOX, and our internal production team respected). I wanted to give (the character) Selina Kyle as much respect as possible. Some will say that giving her respect would include seeing the character through to the end of the show, which I understand. But, I firmly believe that part of leaving a legacy and being part of a legacy means knowing when to pass the torch to someone else. I was blessed to be the vessel for Selina Kyle for her formative teen years, and it only felt right to give someone else the torch for her adult self. The woman who will be playing the older Selina Kyle is the glorious Lili Simmons, who, when I met for the first time, made me cry tears of joy. She is perfect for this role, and she really wanted to do Selina right. We spoke about Selina Kyle for hours; I shared journal entries and scenes that were prime examples of Selina’s characteristics, and she shared thoughts of backstory for the 10 years that the audience doesn’t see.”

While Selina Kyle was played by young actress Camren Bicondova throughout the entire series, Gotham brought in an older replacement for the flash forward in the finale. Lili Simmons took over for Bicondova in this last episode and provided a pretty seamless transition. In fact, she was convincing enough in the role that whispers of a spinoff seem to be filling the air.

After the episode, TVLine spoke with show-runner John Stephens about the ending of the series, and specifically asked about a potential spin-off following Simmons' Catwoman in the years before Bruce Wayne returned to Gotham. Stephens didn't say that anything was in the works necessarily, but he didn't shut things down either.

"I don’t know that it’s planted," Stephens responded when asked if they had planted the seeds of a spinoff. "I’d say… hopeful?"

So the producers and writers of Gotham didn't exactly have a spinoff in mind when they made this finale, but it would be safe to say that they'd like to try and make something happen with Simmons and the character. After all, if there was going to be a spinoff of Gotham, this is the one that makes the most sense.

:whatthe:

Recently, Dragon Con hit up Atlanta as usual, and it was there the cast of Gotham reunited. The ensemble was asked if they would consider returning for a continuation of Gotham, and Donal Logue said the cast was game so long as everyone came back planned.

"I think if the other people were involved, we’d absolutely be down to do it together," the actor said. "It would just get funky if it was [without them]. We were really very close and will remain so. ... It’d be hard to imagine doing this stuff without Ben [McKenzie]."

Continuing, Robin Lord Taylor said the cast is excited to see how huge Gotham grows from here. The show may have shut its door, but re-runs and online streaming will hopefully reintroduce new audiences to Gotham year after year.

"It’s a whole different world now, it’s insane. Nothing goes away anymore. And also, our show hits Netflix on September 30th, the final season comes out on Netflix September 30th, and people are just going to continue to discover the show," Lord said.