• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gotham
3 3

1,832 posts in this topic

On 4/25/2022 at 1:47 PM, Boozad said:

Is it any good? I think I watched the first two seasons years ago and gave up. Might give it another whirl.

It is zany interpretations of favorite DC characters at times. But for me it all comes together in a fun way.

On 4/30/2022 at 11:09 PM, Bosco685 said:

It is zany interpretations of favorite DC characters at times. But for me it all comes together in a fun way.

Suspend any semblance of the series being remotely serious, and you'll enjoy it so much more.

Some characters are played very poorly - Jada Pinkett-Smith as Fish Mooney , and Erin Richards (Barbara Kean) are dreadful, but more than made up for by Ben McKenzie, Donal Logue and Robin Lord Taylor, who is the perfect Penguin.

It's hard to think of any Batman characters who aren't in it (except Batman!)

Sure there are some big 'ol plot holes, but it's a fun show.

Some well known 'stars' in it as well - B.D.Wong, Michael Chiklis, James Frain, Alexander Siddiq, Morena Baccarin and Sean Pertwee amongst them.

I enjoyed it - probably best to watch in two or three episode chunks, rather than binge a whole season.

On 4/30/2022 at 9:26 PM, Beige said:

Some characters are played very poorly - Jada Pinkett-Smith as Fish Mooney , and Erin Richards (Barbara Kean) are dreadful, but more than made up for by Ben McKenzie, Donal Logue and Robin Lord Taylor, who is the perfect Penguin.

You and I seem to have very similar taste in movies and shows. Add into this that I absolutely love Corey Michael Smith's Riddler.

I think I need to re-visit. I remember not liking it much first time around mainly because it had naff all to do with canon, I think I'm well over that now I haven't read a comic for what seems like ever.

On 5/2/2022 at 4:16 PM, Boozad said:

I think I need to re-visit. I remember not liking it much first time around mainly because it had naff all to do with canon, I think I'm well over that now I haven't read a comic for what seems like ever.

Nice to see you posting, Gav. :smile:

This show got better in later seasons. Even Barbara Keene became more watchable. The fact that the show establishes the entire Rogues Gallery as several years older then Batman as a premise was a problem for me. How impressive is Batman when he can just kick out their canes?

On 5/2/2022 at 11:16 AM, Boozad said:

I have very fond memories of the show because most of the acting was so well done. For me, good acting can overcome bad writing and vice-versa. There was 1 season that I was kinda bored (S4, IIRC), but otherwise I was always excited to boot up the DVR and watch a few episodes at a time. Gordon, Alfred, Bruce etc were all well-cast and well-written. Thinking about it now, Selina was one of the more annoying characters that I didn't care for one bit.

On 5/3/2022 at 12:24 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I have very fond memories of the show because most of the acting was so well done. For me, good acting can overcome bad writing and vice-versa. There was 1 season that I was kinda bored (S4, IIRC), but otherwise I was always excited to boot up the DVR and watch a few episodes at a time. Gordon, Alfred, Bruce etc were all well-cast and well-written. Thinking about it now, Selina was one of the more annoying characters that I didn't care for one bit.

I'm going to finish Taxi Driver off then start it again I think. I've pretty much run Netflix dry bar Gotham given my new found freedom as a pretty broke single parent so it's got to be time. It'll keep me out of trouble for a couple of weeks anyway.