• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cole Schave collection: face jobs?

4,963 posts in this topic

So the current Pedigree auction is featuring a high grade collection accumulated by Cole Schave out of Green Bay. A number of the books appear to have had their front covers pulled back in the slabbed version of plastic surgery. It may not be a practice restricted to a lone E-Bay seller out of Washington state.

It's readily apparent on a couple of comics I used to own. Here's one:

JIM93.jpg

JIM96facejob.jpg

Any other explanations for why the pages now extend so far beyond the front cover?

Are there spine ticks on the 9.2 that are now not visible (from the front) on the 9.6? Not clear from the scans because the spine hardly seems to have moved compared to other books that have had this type of work done. As it is, the 9.2 version looks better to me than the 9.6 because the latter has the interior pages fanned out. hm

Perhaps the Wilson won that book first..gave it the facelift and Cole bought it after...I am sure the board detectives will do a quick check on the cert number.

Check the ASMs, Avengers, JIMs, and TOS from this collection with the 119771... certification numbers. He would have to have purchased much of his collection from Wilson for this to be so.

Looking closely at it, it does not appear to have the cover wrapped around.

hm

shrinkage??

Wow. You're correct. And it's not trimmed.

Maybe it's just squished so hard the pages are smashed out of the book.

I can't tell what supposedly has happened... if you're saying the spine was moved (like that famous Avengers 1 example) so front spine damage moves to the back, then why does the front cover not appear shifted in any way? The details along the left edge seems identical, unshifted. (shrug)

Maybe it was just squished as usual. That can highlight a bad wrap even more.

Which makes it mysterious that the grade jumped from 9.2 to 9.6.

By squished I mean pressed. So am not surprised by the grade bump.

I guess, but at least on the basis of those scans, I would prefer to own the 9.2 version of that book.

Maybe it was just squished as usual. That can highlight a bad wrap even more.

Which makes it mysterious that the grade jumped from 9.2 to 9.6.

By squished I mean pressed. So am not surprised by the grade bump.

I guess, but at least on the basis of those scans, I would prefer to own the 9.2 version of that book.

Agreed.