• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cole Schave collection: face jobs?

4,963 posts in this topic

How can this not be regarded as destruction to the book. So much for CGC

detecting and punishing for a bad press. Has anyone brought this to the attention of Paul Litch ?

That smelled like BS from day one. What a transparent PR song and dance. Just tell them what they want to hear.

If a press is done properly (regardless of the eye appeal of the outcome), it is undetectable as all of these defects exist naturally.

CGC is not going to punish itself.

detecting and punishing for a bad press. Has anyone brought this to the attention of Paul Litch ?

That smelled like BS from day one. What a transparent PR song and dance. Just tell them what they want to hear.

If a press is done properly (regardless of the eye appeal of the outcome), it is undetectable as all of these defects exist naturally.

Which is why we need a legit competitor.

Of course not, especially if CCS is the one doing the pressing.

If I am interpreting this correctly, that is a terrible situation. Shameful.

So every book with the pages sticking out has been pressed?

There sure were a lot of books being pressed 30 years ago when I first payed attention to this defect.

They were pressed right in the factory too because all the books I bought off the newsstand were like this. :cry:

Yeah, I think the majority of my silver age FFs and Thors look this (front cover much shorter than the page overhang) and plenty of them are mid-grade copies I picked up for $10 20 years ago so I know they're not re-aligned or even pressed.

However, what namisgr is showing certainly looks like a major pancake job. I bet a back cover scan would also show the pages squeezed out past the back cover. I've bought a few slabbed books like this. It's disappointing, but with CGC being the holy arbiter it's just the way it is. I just wonder how these books hold up 10-20 years down the road after the smooshing.

That is going to be interesting.IF they are ever removed from the slabs.I really hope no beautiful books suffer.Or any books.Imagine if it turns to be detrimental after some time.So many comics....

There sure were a lot of books being pressed 30 years ago when I first payed attention to this defect.

They were pressed right in the factory too because all the books I bought off the newsstand were like this. :cry:

Yeah, I think the majority of my silver age FFs and Thors look this (front cover much shorter than the page overhang) and plenty of them are mid-grade copies I picked up for $10 20 years ago so I know they're not re-aligned or even pressed.

However, what namisgr is showing certainly looks like a major pancake job. I bet a back cover scan would also show the pages squeezed out past the back cover. I've bought a few slabbed books like this. It's disappointing, but with CGC being the holy arbiter it's just the way it is. I just wonder how these books hold up 10-20 years down the road after the smooshing.

That is going to be interesting.IF they are ever removed from the slabs.I really hope no beautiful books suffer.Or any books.Imagine if it turns to be detrimental after some time.So many comics....

They don't feel a thing. :gossip:

So the current Pedigree auction is featuring a high grade collection accumulated by Cole Schave out of Green Bay. A number of the books appear to have had their front covers pulled back in the slabbed version of plastic surgery. It may not be a practice restricted to a lone E-Bay seller out of Washington state.

It's readily apparent on a couple of comics I used to own. Here's one:

JIM93.jpg

JIM96facejob.jpg

Any other explanations for why the pages now extend so far beyond the front cover?

The alignment of the spine is the same. Not the same FACE JOB as Wilson.

They don't feel a thing. :gossip:

They cry in the night.

I bought it raw and had it encapsulated - thought it was a solid NM- with little shot at a 9.4. The guy who bought it from me got it into a 9.4 slab, but without altering the cover/page alignment. It was almost certainly pressed to take out a couple of impressions along the spine to reach that grade.

Like so many of the otherwise high grade books in this guy's collection, the book looks goofy with the pages sticking out so far from the cover. Here's another example of an unfortunate 9.6:

ASM10faced.jpg