• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cole Schave collection: face jobs?

4,963 posts in this topic

I had to look several times to see if what I was seeing was an optical illusion. However it does appear a very slight shift of the spine can be seen. I don't have any graphic design software installed on the PC I'm using to post this reply, but the area where you can notice this is just beneath the marquee with Thor's face, where it says Marvel Comics Group. There is a squiggly line that hugs just around the M in Marvel, and if you compare the 9.2 with the 9.6, you will notice that the bottom part of that squiggle line is gone.

Thanks BUTM. The first zoomed photo you provided cuts off the bottom part of the squiggle line I'm referring to. When I first noticed it in the 9.2 scan I wondered if it was an artifact of the scanner, but seeing it there in the second scan of the 9.2 (minus the bottom part) confirmed it was actually on the comic. The white space from the spine to the letters C and G is also pretty stark when they are put side-by-side.

I had to look several times to see if what I was seeing was an optical illusion. However it does appear a very slight shift of the spine can be seen. I don't have any graphic design software installed on the PC I'm using to post this reply, but the area where you can notice this is just beneath the marquee with Thor's face, where it says Marvel Comics Group. There is a squiggly line that hugs just around the M in Marvel, and if you compare the 9.2 with the 9.6, you will notice that the bottom part of that squiggle line is gone.

Totally agree on this point. I had the same reaction and wondered if it was possible that a slight alignment shift took place to the upper portion of the book only as the rest of the spine seems to have remained the same. What this doesn't explain though is the consistent fanning from end-to-end. hm

Interesting how the usual suspects in the gaming of the system continue to pop up in the middle of these kind of controversies. Like I've always said I don't have a problem with pressing but these examples are just plain ugly.

agree totally

:(

It's unfortunately happening with pedigree comics as well.

From the CGC gallery:

JIM88NLcgcgallery.jpg

From the Pedigree auction:

JIM88NLpedigree.jpg

If CGC gets back a Pedigree book it already graded and it looks different, isn't that kind of one hint that a book might have been pressed? As far as this whole "can't detect pressing" thing goes, and all that.

It doesn't matter if the CGC can detect pressing or not. They have an in house pressing service, so it's a moot point.

However, I do find it strange that this "procedure" hasn't made it's way into one of the "How to Spot Bad Pressing" infomercial emails propagated by the CSS.

From the CGC gallery:

JIM88NLcgcgallery.jpg

JIM88NLpedigree.jpg

If CGC gets back a Pedigree book it already graded and it looks different, isn't that kind of one hint that a book might have been pressed? As far as this whole "can't detect pressing" thing goes, and all that.

they can't detect pressing with certainty all the time is the issue. what are they supposed to do? have notes on the label: P- pressed, PP- possibly pressed, PPP- possibly pressed poorly

From the CGC gallery:

JIM88NLcgcgallery.jpg

JIM88NLpedigree.jpg

they can't detect pressing with certainty all the time is the issue. what are they supposed to do? have notes on the label: P- pressed, PP- possibly pressed, PPP- possibly pressed poorly

I don't know, but they sure PP'd on that nice Pedigree.

Problem is, pressing has been leaving in its' wake a slew of fugly defects on books with high numerical grades. We're now seeing the face jobs and Costanza's and rogue staples, but other obvious defects have been overlooked by the graders for some time.

Here's an example of how the moisture and heat made a White Mountain arrival date runny. There are many examples of this happening to White Mountains - not hideous like the face jobs and Costanza's, but still unattractive.

JIM92WM.jpg

From the CGC gallery:

JIM88NLcgcgallery.jpg

JIM88NLpedigree.jpg

I don't know, but they sure PP'd on that nice Pedigree.

lol - they sure did.

From the CGC gallery:

JIM88NLcgcgallery.jpg

JIM88NLpedigree.jpg

Didn't even get a grade bump. Given the front spine does not look like it moved, that book has got to be a pancake to have that much more of a page flare doesn't it?