• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cole Schave collection: face jobs?

4,963 posts in this topic

Timeline to think about:

Wilson facejobs come to light.

CGC (CCS) recalls some of these facejobs to "inspect" them.

The next MONTH new and improved, harder to explain nelson facejobs come to light.

Coincidence?

Speaking of Wilson… The prodigal son returns.

And to fund his next mission, the Wilson-ized inventory runneth over with facejobs a plenty…

http://stores.ebay.com/wxproduction?_rdc=1

wow - it is like every book! :lol:

Yeah, I'm sure this looks a lot better than it used to. lol

697637467_o.jpg

This book is a perfect example of why this thread is mostly about speculation run rampant.

Quite clearly, something happened to a couple of the early books that Bob posted, something that altered the way the pages lay. However, to assume that every book is like this because of a bad pressing job is just ridiculous.

If this book which obviously has not been pressed exhibits this same type of perceived defect, then why shouldn't thousands of other books. I have bought original owner collections that many, many, many of the books exhibit this same amount of paper showing on the right edge. These books had never been pressed and were simply purchased and placed in a box for years and years.

Lets get a little perspective. These books were mass produced to sell to children. The printing process was far from perfect and trying to make a "square" book was probably the farthest through from their minds, unless is actually saved them a little money on paper. Cheap paper, cheap printing processes and cheap paper cutting tools all contribute to the things we are seeing.

Likely none of us is in favor of damaging a book for profit. And clearly there have been some instances of attempts of abuse of the system, but I don't think it is nearly as rampant as many on here believe. I think the boards does a great job of showing where problems lie, but I think people go over board many times. I also believe people see what they want to see in many cases.

If this is so, and it's a defect, shouldn't the graders be grading those books with defects lower? I'm referring to the earlier slabbed books that were shown.

That is what I don't understand.,these were supposed to be recent submissions and I believe we were told that they were going to grade the "facejobs" differently.

As for "Matt" pressing these, CGC must be getting a lot of pressing work and I really doubt Matt is standing over a press 24/7, I'm sure there are different people operating the presses, which actually could account for some of the new errors -IF they were sent to CGC, and not home pressed. There might be someone who is new, or needs guidance doing the work.

If this is so, and it's a defect, shouldn't the graders be grading those books with defects lower? I'm referring to the earlier slabbed books that were shown.

That is what I don't understand.,these were supposed to be recent submissions and I believe we were told that they were going to grade the "facejobs" differently.

As for "Matt" pressing these, CGC must be getting a lot of pressing work and I really doubt Matt is standing over a press 24/7, I'm sure there are different people operating the presses, which actually could account for some of the new errors -IF they were sent to CGC, and not home pressed. There might be someone who is new, or needs guidance doing the work.

I would assume it would be a printing defect(in some cases).

I would have to agree with whoever it was that said there is no reason for a book to shrink one direction (side to side), and not shrink in the other direction (top to bottom).

Why would one person collect so many books with the same "printing" defect, and how could they possibly assemble that kind of collection?

I know you have seen many more books than I have, but I've seen my fair share and it just does not sound plausible. A printing defect where hundreds of one title, one issue#..maybe....but a collection of so many different books all with the same printing defect?

I think you are trying to find a nice way around the problem and I applaud you for that, but it just does not make much sense to me....and while your expertise is certainly in comics, mine was in "fact finding".

I don't think they shrunk...I think there was a manual change made. I don't know how it was done, but I can guess why.

My offer of an apprentice presser was my attempt to make this sound better...but I have not convinced myself.

Cole Schave was a high grade collection, not OO from the same source. There is no way all these books exhibited the same printing defect. As Sharon states, these books should have been graded lower, not higher.

I am assuming Dale is concerned that books in his inventory exhibiting a true printing defect will now be questioned. I suspect this is true. All dealers will be looking at their stock. I know am looking through my collection. Doug may have cost himself and others a lot of money as books with this 'look' will be questioned and probably avoided.

Why would one person collect so many books with the same "printing" defect, and how could they possibly assemble that kind of collection?

I know you have seen many more books than I have, but I've seen my fair share and it just does not sound plausible. A printing defect where hundreds of one title, one issue#..maybe....but a collection of so many different books all with the same printing defect?

I think you are trying to find a nice way around the problem and I applaud you for that, but it just does not make much sense to me....and while your expertise is certainly in comics, mine was in "fact finding".

Sharon,

Who are you talking about when you refer to an individual collector with so many books with the same defects? I haven't looked at any of the Schave books, other than what was posted here. And I am not trying to say at all that this could not be done. I am certainly not saying that the books in the Cole Schave collection haven't been altered in some way. It is clear by the scans that Bob posted, those books are different than they were originally. With that being said, it would not surprise me at all if many of the other books have been altered in the same way.

What I am saying is this, for all those people who are seeing these books everywhere, is that this type of page fanning sometimes occurs naturally in many cases, whether it was due to printing or improper storage or whatever. Clearly, it could occur from an unnatural process as well.

Cole Schave was a high grade collection, not OO from the same source. There is no way all these books exhibited the same printing defect. As Sharon states, these books should have been graded lower, not higher.

I am assuming Dale is concerned that books in his inventory exhibiting a true printing defect will now be questioned. I suspect this is true. All dealers will be looking at their stock. I know am looking through my collection. Doug may have cost himself and others a lot of money as books with this 'look' will be questioned and probably avoided.

Thanks for clarifying. Don't know anything about Cole Schave or his books. I am speaking strictly from my own experience with buying books and collections.

Timeline to think about:

Wilson facejobs come to light.

CGC (CCS) recalls some of these facejobs to "inspect" them.

The next MONTH new and improved, harder to explain nelson facejobs come to light.

Coincidence?

Speaking of Wilson… The prodigal son returns.

And to fund his next mission, the Wilson-ized inventory runneth over with facejobs a plenty…

http://stores.ebay.com/wxproduction?_rdc=1

wow - it is like every book! :lol:

Yeah, I'm sure this looks a lot better than it used to. lol

697637467_o.jpg

This book is a perfect example of why this thread is mostly about speculation run rampant.

If this book which obviously has not been pressed exhibits this same type of perceived defect, then why shouldn't thousands of other books.

Likely none of us is in favor of damaging a book for profit. And clearly there have been some instances of attempts of abuse of the system, but I don't think it is nearly as rampant as many on here believe. I think the boards does a great job of showing where problems lie, but I think people go over board many times. I also believe people see what they want to see in many cases.

Not every book that looks like this has been pressed/deformed, but in this case, it (and apparently every other book this seller has on ebay right now) most certainly has. (thumbs u

Here are a couple more of his beauties...the Monster Mash! :cloud9:

697637215_o.jpg

697829385_o.jpg

The right edge on that FF looks slightly curved to me.

:shrug:

-slym

Yeah, I don't think there's a 90-degree angle or straight edge left anywhere on that book. :(

-slym

Yeah, I don't think there's a 90-degree angle or straight edge left anywhere on that book. :(

Um, don't let your paranoia drive you too far over the edge on this one -- the curvature you see is due to the picture taken, not the book itself. :)

My 2c - sorting some raw books this weekend I stumbled upon a comic that had apparently been sitting at the bottom of the pile and the cover shifted to the left (direction of the spine) causing the interior pages to stick-out from the edge.

It was quite serendipitous to see this as this was being debated here in this thread. But I have to agree with Sharon, that it's unlikely it would happen to as many books consistently they way it appears to have occurred on those face-job suspects being questioned.

-slym

Um, don't let your paranoia drive you too far over the edge on this one -- the curvature you see is due to the picture taken, not the book itself. :)

Sure, it's probably just a coincidence that all his books look like this, given his pedigree and all... :whistle: