• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cole Schave collection: face jobs?

4,963 posts in this topic

Maybe it was just squished as usual. That can highlight a bad wrap even more.

Which makes it mysterious that the grade jumped from 9.2 to 9.6.

It didn't. My copy was resubmitted by the buyer mbhighlander and became a 9.4. The 9.6 is a brand new grade.

Here's another of many examples with 119771... certification numbers:

JIM88face.jpg

Maybe it was just squished as usual. That can highlight a bad wrap even more.

Which makes it mysterious that the grade jumped from 9.2 to 9.6.

By squished I mean pressed. So am not surprised by the grade bump.

I guess, but at least on the basis of those scans, I would prefer to own the 9.2 version of that book.

Agreed.

Ditto. Cheaper and looks better.

And another. Without back cover scans, it's hard to know for certain whether the cover has been rolled front-to-back a teensy bit or the pages squished out as a consequence of the way a pressing was done. Either way, it's a disappointing the ugly appearances didn't detract from the numerical grades.

ASM14face.jpg

Who does the pressing for Pedigree Comics?

Whomever it is, they smash the holy bat mess out of them. :eek:

They received higher grades, no? Sounds like a successful press. It's all about that number.

+1, come on all you pro-pressers, the number in the upper left hand corner is bigger, the book is in a blue label. If CGC can't detect the completely f'd up press job, it is all good right (shrug)

They received higher grades, no? Sounds like a successful press. It's all about that number.

So eliminating a small ding or two -- or whatever it is the pressing did -- raises the grade even though the interior pages are pushed out beyond the cover? CGC really ought to rethink this ....

So eliminating a small ding or two -- or whatever it is the pressing did -- raises the grade even though the interior pages are pushed out beyond the cover? CGC really ought to rethink this ....

+1

Fanned pages has been a defect since day one whether it was done by being in the middle of the legendary stack in the barn or by more, ahem, mechanical means.

So every book with the pages sticking out has been pressed?

There sure were a lot of books being pressed 30 years ago when I first payed attention to this defect.

They were pressed right in the factory too because all the books I bought off the newsstand were like this. :cry:

So every book with the pages sticking out has been pressed?

There sure were a lot of books being pressed 30 years ago when I first payed attention to this defect.

They were pressed right in the factory too because all the books I bought off the newsstand were like this. :cry:

Exactly.

I mean for a book that could sell for 50k I would understand. But every book ? Even those that sell for $200 ? :screwy: