• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cole Schave collection: face jobs?

4,963 posts in this topic

So the current Pedigree auction is featuring a high grade collection accumulated by Cole Schave out of Green Bay. A number of the books appear to have had their front covers pulled back in the slabbed version of plastic surgery. It may not be a practice restricted to a lone E-Bay seller out of Washington state.

It's readily apparent on a couple of comics I used to own. Here's one:

JIM93.jpg

JIM96facejob.jpg

Any other explanations for why the pages now extend so far beyond the front cover?

They REALLY wanted the over graded 9.6

Because it used to be a $100 book? (shrug)

I find that extremely hard to believe. Besides, I don't see ComicLink involved in that kind of funny business...

:signfunny:

hm

So every book with the pages sticking out has been pressed?

There sure were a lot of books being pressed 30 years ago when I first payed attention to this defect.

They were pressed right in the factory too because all the books I bought off the newsstand were like this. :cry:

Yeah, I think the majority of my silver age FFs and Thors look this (front cover much shorter than the page overhang) and plenty of them are mid-grade copies I picked up for $10 20 years ago so I know they're not re-aligned or even pressed.

However, what namisgr is showing certainly looks like a major pancake job. I bet a back cover scan would also show the pages squeezed out past the back cover. I've bought a few slabbed books like this. It's disappointing, but with CGC being the holy arbiter it's just the way it is. I just wonder how these books hold up 10-20 years down the road after the smooshing.

I find that extremely hard to believe. Besides, I don't see ComicLink involved in that kind of funny business...

It's always more fun when pitchforks and torches are involved.

hm

Can I interest you in a CVA sticker? It's hologram-y.

AAAADPq-7lYAAAAAAdvA6A.jpg

hm

Can I interest you in a CVA sticker? It's hologram-y.

AAAADPq-7lYAAAAAAdvA6A.jpg

I approve of this post.

So Joe, what do you think has caused so many of the books from this collection to have the interior pages stick way past the cover?

:baiting:

slide0038_background.gif

So Joe, what do you think has caused so many of the books from this collection to have the interior pages stick way past the cover?

Anything I would say is a guess at best Bob. Given the heat CGC recently took on the Avengers #1 it would have been a stupid move to allow these books out the door without intense scrutiny.

The cover could have shrunk. This would allow the interior pages to give the appearance of extending out a little further. I don't know what the back cover scans look like?

The book could have been tampered with rolling the cover back like the Avengers #1. I would find it highly unlikely, but a possibility.

The book was smashed and the interior pages not being flatter extend out a little further.

Like I said earlier, they are guesses. The only one who knows is the one who pressed them.

It's deja vu all over again....

the only difference this time is there is no uproar ;)

for those that question if this is anything but a face job or shrinkage, just email Doug for the back cover and you can make your own decision. Heck, I would ask for back cover on ANY books at any auctions but that is just me.

There sure were a lot of books being pressed 30 years ago when I first payed attention to this defect.

They were pressed right in the factory too because all the books I bought off the newsstand were like this. :cry:

Exactly.

I mean for a book that could sell for 50k I would understand. But every book ? Even those that sell for $200 ? :screwy:

It wouldn't make much sense for a small fry like myself to squeeze every dollar out of every book, but for someone dealing in a lot of volume it makes perfect sense.

Hmm, admittedly I've never seen so many books together in one auction all with this type of defect. Almost 2/3 of the auction highlight books all have this same problem.

The ASM 10 pages are fanning out so much they look like they are getting creased by the interior edge of the slab.

Exactly.

I mean for a book that could sell for 50k I would understand. But every book ? Even those that sell for $200 ? :screwy:

It wouldn't make much sense for a small fry like myself to squeeze every dollar out of every book, but for someone dealing in a lot of volume it makes perfect sense.

Again, high dollar books yes, low dollar books no sense at all. ( just not worth the time and effort IMO)

Exactly.

Again, high dollar books yes, low dollar books no sense at all. ( just not worth the time and effort IMO)

One must practice with the more moderately priced books first, before going to town on the keys.

:sumo:

Exactly.

One must practice with the more moderately priced books first, before going to town on the keys.

:sumo:

Exactly, plus do people think it takes a day to press a book? How about minutes. Doing a quick press job on a mid grade book that you never plan to submit to CGC is still money in the pocket if done to books with the right defects, especially when someone is doing it themselves. Do people actually believe that only the few folks that advertise their pressing service are the only ones doing it. (shrug).

How can this not be regarded as destruction to the book. So much for CGC

detecting and punishing for a bad press. Has anyone brought this to the attention of Paul Litch ?

That smelled like BS from day one. What a transparent PR song and dance. Just tell them what they want to hear.

If a press is done properly (regardless of the eye appeal of the outcome), it is undetectable as all of these defects exist naturally.