• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Spine Realignment Therapy, turn your 8.5's into 9.2's!

3,329 posts in this topic

After knowing what to look for, I would say yes, this has been going on for a while. If he would have waited for the photos to expire off EBay we would be clueless to it.

I wonder if this Avengers #1 didn't undergo the same "treatment" ?

Linky

yes it's been pressed.

he'll make a healthy profit.

No doubt.

Just history repeating itself. The seller in question has been at this for a while and multiple high dollar examples have been posted in the SA thread.

This person is raking in some serious money with doing this to these books. He is making more a year than a lot of us do working legit careers.

Makes me really sick thinking about what this person is doing and how he is being highly rewarded for doing it.

I did not go through the entire thread in Silver, but does the appearance of any of the damage improve aesthetically, because the paper where the damage occurred is now flat, as opposed to having the stress of the bend? This is the only way I would think they would have any possibility of a grade bump.

Additionally, CGC is obviously taking nothing off for the now fanned pages. This is wrong as it is clearly not a production related defect.

I did not go through the entire thread in Silver, but does the appearance of any of the damage improve aesthetically, because the paper where the damage occurred is now flat, as opposed to having the stress of the bend? This is the only way I would think they would have any possibility of a grade bump.

Additionally, CGC is obviously taking nothing off for the now fanned pages. This is wrong as it is clearly not a production related defect.

you can't prove it isn't production. That's the problem.

I'd be interested to see any examples of books that look like this from production, as I would have thought CGC could easily spot books pressed in this way ?

I'd be interested to see any examples of books that look like this from production, as I would have thought CGC could easily spot books pressed in this way ?

asm 9 is notorious. The avengers. 1 looks so horrible because the interior fans out a little also pre spine shift.

You couldn't prove it if there was no original damage on the spine, but as manipulated there should be a vertical line of damage that is concentrated 1/8" away from the current spine and gets uncharacteristically smaller as it approaches the current spine and radiates out evenly from that 1/8" centerline.

You can tell if it is production related or not. Paper exposed to air oxidizes faster than when it is not. The edge sticking out prior should be slightly darker than the rest as the cover protected it from exposure better. Even if its minimal you should be able to see it in hand.

Is anyone else this disappointed in cgc right now. I know I am.

I'm not. CGC is in the business of pressing. If all was known about their grading standards, and all books were graded consistantly and equally, then in time, there submissions would dwindle as everyone would know the game and not bother hunting for ways to improve books or resub candidates because the field would be be dry. By keeping a mystery about the process, they keep the resubs coming.

CGC encourages these type of things, and if something else comes up in the future they will encourage that too. Whatever gets people to keep submitting the same books multiple times is simply more money in their pocket.

If they actually said pressing, spine realignment, cover cleaning etc were resto and would get purple labels.... they would probably lose 30% of their submissions. If they had an open grading standard, much more than that.

In time, the press and flip game will wear out and the subs will begin coming in less and less. They are just trying to get as much as possible in the shortest amount of time... because time is not on their side.

I'm only surprised that anybody's surprised. This is simply a natural progression and there will be more to come.

Oh, and for those who think CGC's standards haven't slipped over the years, please explain how a 7.5 is now in a 9.2 holder? hm

I agree with Nick here: I would have graded the 1st one 7.5, without looking at the back cover...

CAL who thought the Silver Comics thread re: AVG 1 was a great Thread...

Just history repeating itself. The seller in question has been at this for a while and multiple high dollar examples have been posted in the SA thread.

This person is raking in some serious money with doing this to these books. He is making more a year than a lot of us do working legit careers.

Makes me really sick thinking about what this person is doing and how he is being highly rewarded for doing it.

"History repeating" implies it stopped at some point. When did it stop? ???

All the rancor and outrage over in the SA thread is truly baffling. There were HUGE debates over this nonsense, Overstreet changed their definitions to comply, resistance was demeaned and largly silenced, and the hobby has steadily evolved in support of "The Crackout Game" that was imported over from coins.

That's the "History", consciously creating demand and a new profession to fill it.

This far in the reaction should be along the lines of: "Well played, Gamer. Well played." meh

:news: The System was gamed as it was intended to be gamed, using the tools promoted explicitly for that purpose.

:roflmao:

The guy definitely found a loophole in the system,just means there are less unmolested books out there for the true collectors who believe this type of stuff(pressing) is restoration. :(

Don't start this "true collector" BS. Just because I have some books pressed, doesn't mean I'm any less of a collector than you are. I'm not exactly getting rich off of Godzilla:Kingdom of Monsters #1 Retailer Editions, Astonishing X-Men, and sketch covers.

meh

A Collection is a collection, any size and any quantity, quality. A Collector is a Collector, but there ARE Collector/Dealers.

CAL trying to help out...

So are you guys saying that this type of work is something not offered by Matt Nelson?

I'm not sure if you're directing this question to me, but I don't know.

What I do know is that agencies like the FTC need to be alerted of this type of fraud and manipulation, and I've leave it to them to decide the appropriate action for consumer redress.

The comics market is an unregulated market; the FTC would not hear any of this...

Sorry CAL...

You can tell if it is production related or not. Paper exposed to air oxidizes faster than when it is not. The edge sticking out prior should be slightly darker than the rest as the cover protected it from exposure better. Even if its minimal you should be able to see it in hand.

The Question I had is:

What happened to that 1/4" overhang that the back Cover surely must have had? Was it Trimmed off???

Curious CAL... hm

Is anyone else this disappointed in cgc right now. I know I am.

I'm not. CGC is in the business of pressing. If all was known about their grading standards, and all books were graded consistantly and equally, then in time, there submissions would dwindle as everyone would know the game and not bother hunting for ways to improve books or resub candidates because the field would be be dry. By keeping a mystery about the process, they keep the resubs coming.

CGC encourages these type of things, and if something else comes up in the future they will encourage that too. Whatever gets people to keep submitting the same books multiple times is simply more money in their pocket.

If they actually said pressing, spine realignment, cover cleaning etc were resto and would get purple labels.... they would probably lose 30% of their submissions. If they had an open grading standard, much more than that.

In time, the press and flip game will wear out and the subs will begin coming in less and less. They are just trying to get as much as possible in the shortest amount of time... because time is not on their side.

but the defects on the book are still there though. In fact the book now has more defects because of the fugly right side of the front cover. Cgc is essentially telling everyone hey, we're gonna grade the front cover and ignore the back so do what ya have to do. I'm not dissappointed that people are gonna press the spines but it is dissappointing that cgc allows these people to be rewarded in the first place. I mean come on, the frecking same defects are still on the book. it's a real shame they are now being ignored.

Those umpteen color breaking former spine stresses aren't production.