• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Spine Realignment Therapy, turn your 8.5's into 9.2's!

3,329 posts in this topic

:roflmao:

The guy definitely found a loophole in the system,just means there are less unmolested books out there for the true collectors who believe this type of stuff(pressing) is restoration. :(

Don't start this "true collector" BS. Just because I have some books pressed, doesn't mean I'm any less of a collector than you are. I'm not exactly getting rich off of Godzilla:Kingdom of Monsters #1 Retailer Editions, Astonishing X-Men, and sketch covers.

meh

A Collection is a collection, any size and any quantity, quality. A Collector is a Collector, but there ARE Collector/Dealers.

CAL trying to help out...

There's no such thing as a collector/dealer. Their collection is simply untapped stock. They are dealers, plain and simple... Not that there's anything wrong with that. Some of my good friends are dealers and I accept them for what they are. :foryou:

You can tell if it is production related or not. Paper exposed to air oxidizes faster than when it is not. The edge sticking out prior should be slightly darker than the rest as the cover protected it from exposure better. Even if its minimal you should be able to see it in hand.

The Question I had is:

What happened to that 1/4" overhang that the back Cover surely must have had? Was it Trimmed off???

Curious CAL... hm

It wasn't just the cover that was shifted. The entire book was refolded and pressed, it seems. That's why the comic now fills the well, where the original had a little play inside.

he'll make a healthy profit.

Is anyone else this disappointed in cgc right now. I know I am.

I'm not. CGC is in the business of pressing. If all was known about their grading standards, and all books were graded consistantly and equally, then in time, there submissions would dwindle as everyone would know the game and not bother hunting for ways to improve books or resub candidates because the field would be be dry. By keeping a mystery about the process, they keep the resubs coming.

CGC encourages these type of things, and if something else comes up in the future they will encourage that too. Whatever gets people to keep submitting the same books multiple times is simply more money in their pocket.

If they actually said pressing, spine realignment, cover cleaning etc were resto and would get purple labels.... they would probably lose 30% of their submissions. If they had an open grading standard, much more than that.

In time, the press and flip game will wear out and the subs will begin coming in less and less. They are just trying to get as much as possible in the shortest amount of time... because time is not on their side.

but the defects on the book are still there though. In fact the book now has more defects because of the fugly right side of the front cover. Cgc is essentially telling everyone hey, we're gonna grade the front cover and ignore the back so do what ya have to do. I'm not dissappointed that people are gonna press the spines but it is dissappointing that cgc allows these people to be rewarded in the first place. I mean come on, the frecking same defects are still on the book. it's a real shame they are now being ignored.

Or they are not ignoring the defect as they are not entirely on the back cover but rather the defects are now just obscured as they are now across the apex of the spine (rather than the back or front cover) making them less distracting.

Grading is really about degrees of separation (let's say from a perfect 10), so removing a degree (or two) of distraction will increase the apparent grade of the book.

You can tell if it is production related or not. Paper exposed to air oxidizes faster than when it is not. The edge sticking out prior should be slightly darker than the rest as the cover protected it from exposure better. Even if its minimal you should be able to see it in hand.

The Question I had is:

What happened to that 1/4" overhang that the back Cover surely must have had? Was it Trimmed off???

Curious CAL... hm

It wasn't just the cover that was shifted. The entire book was refolded and pressed, it seems. That's why the comic now fills the well, where the original had a little play inside.

I understand how someone tried to work within the rules of what CGC allows to get the best grade possible.

I'm surprised that the removal of a spine roll increases the grade, which I think is totally acceptable but the addition of one also increases the grade.

The Question I had is:

Curious CAL... hm

I understand how someone tried to work within the rules of what CGC allows to get the best grade possible.

I'm surprised that the removal of a spine roll increases the grade, which I think is totally acceptable but the addition of one also increases the grade.

I agree as well, but am confused as well about how a grade can be higher if a spine roll is placed back.. Doesn't make any sense whatsoever ???

The Question I had is:

Curious CAL... hm

I agree as well, but am confused as well about how a grade can be higher if a spine roll is placed back.. Doesn't make any sense whatsoever ???

I am not throwing the Rock to smash that dealer's glass house, but my Best Guess that the back Cover WAS trimmed, to which CGC should have caught. PLOD label should have been given.

The microscope can show the "zebra" pattterns on a recently trimmed comic book. They are extremely hard to detect in a case like this; bad trim jobs have been seen just by a scan right here on these Boards. I can tell a bad trim job within the first second look.

CAL who usually does not like to collect trimmed comics.

he'll make a healthy profit.

Is anyone else this disappointed in cgc right now. I know I am.

I'm not. CGC is in the business of pressing. If all was known about their grading standards, and all books were graded consistantly and equally, then in time, there submissions would dwindle as everyone would know the game and not bother hunting for ways to improve books or resub candidates because the field would be be dry. By keeping a mystery about the process, they keep the resubs coming.

CGC encourages these type of things, and if something else comes up in the future they will encourage that too. Whatever gets people to keep submitting the same books multiple times is simply more money in their pocket.

If they actually said pressing, spine realignment, cover cleaning etc were resto and would get purple labels.... they would probably lose 30% of their submissions. If they had an open grading standard, much more than that.

In time, the press and flip game will wear out and the subs will begin coming in less and less. They are just trying to get as much as possible in the shortest amount of time... because time is not on their side.

but the defects on the book are still there though. In fact the book now has more defects because of the fugly right side of the front cover. Cgc is essentially telling everyone hey, we're gonna grade the front cover and ignore the back so do what ya have to do. I'm not dissappointed that people are gonna press the spines but it is dissappointing that cgc allows these people to be rewarded in the first place. I mean come on, the frecking same defects are still on the book. it's a real shame they are now being ignored.

Or they are not ignoring the defect as they are not entirely on the back cover but rather the defects are now just obscured as they are now across the apex of the spine (rather than the back or front cover) making them less distracting.

Grading is really about degrees of separation (let's say from a perfect 10), so removing a degree (or two) of distraction will increase the apparent grade of the book.

banana082.gif

And down the road, access to this thread will likely be denied.

I sense notify mod button-humping, even as you post...., :think:

I am not throwing the Rock to smash that dealer's glass house, but my Best Guess that the back Cover WAS trimmed, to which CGC should have caught. PLOD label should have been given.

That's a very large assumption..

If you have a spine rolled book and that book is flattened so that the pages fan they would generally line up exactly like this one would. All pages would fan from one to the next.

Anything is possible but there is zero evidence to support trimming at this point.

If you have a spine rolled book and that book is flattened so that the pages fan they would generally line up exactly like this one would. All pages would fan from one to the next.

Anything is possible but there is zero evidence to support trimming at this point.

the book isn't trimmed. It's just cal being cal. There's no way he would risk his initial investment with a plod.

And honestly, if it was trimmed, odds are they would have made it look better.

banana082.gif

You're not supposed to be waving your banana around in public.

(tsk)

As far as I know, this is a CGC Grader endorsed banana. :cool:

I must disagree in theory only - we don't have back cover scans to prove this point( which to me, a possible trimming of that back cover IS a valid concern).

If that SA comic wrap dimensions are 21" L( based on front and back covers being 10.5" L), re-aligning the spine via a pressing "re-folding" as it is apparent in the AVG 1 case here, moving the front cover TO THE LEFT of the viewer by 1/4" is going to create a back Cover situation of 10.9 - 11". That "overhang"( rare in ANY comic printing generation) for that much of a back cover would HAVE TO BE trimmed as not to be so noticeable.

But again, without scans of the back cover, we can only assume our points.

If I could be in person I could take some Drekky comics and show you what I mean...

CAL being CAL... :hi:

How many pressing proponents, find this particular one, uncomfortable? Outrageous? Unethical?

It is all about the money, isn't it, so called collectors.

"conditionfreak", who has never pressed a book.

(just wanted to see what it felt like to do that), (feels weird)

This manipulation thread, should be centered on CGC, and not on some shister who is gaming the system. Because, CGC is supposed to be the cop on the block, who is checking on the shisters and keeping them in line.

Does CGC have the right to recall a graded book for correction? Do they have the right to issue a written correction about a previously graded book of their doing, on the internet?

Would they ever do anything like that? I know they wish they could have recalled a certain Action Comics #1, (according to Steve Borock). Maybe it should be part of their "agreement" for services rendered, to be able to recall a book for correction.

Should a cigarette manufacturer be ashamed of what they do? Should a CIA torturer be ashamed of what they do? Should a Big Mac maker be ashamed of what they do? Should a pressing service person be ashamed of what they do?

Wow. I just realized how complicated life is.

Ha Ha

Show me the MONEY!

I just looked real good - put two screens up at once

If you look REAL CLOSE there are two boxes - the upper Yellow Ad box and the lower Green box - they DO sit closer to the edge towards the left of the comic - definitely a TRIM job!!!

Take a real good look at the back cover scans for yourselves CAL...

How many pressing proponents, find this particular one, uncomfortable? Outrageous? Unethical?

It is all about the money, isn't it, so called collectors.

"conditionfreak", who has never pressed a book.

(just wanted to see what it felt like to do that), (feels weird)

This manipulation thread, should be centered on CGC, and not on some shister who is gaming the system. Because, CGC is supposed to be the cop on the block, who is checking on the shisters and keeping them in line.

I put most of the blame on CGC. The defects are still there.

Nick is right, the book should have been a 7.5 to begin with. That it was graded 8.5, then upgraded to 9.2 with the same defects, is ridiculous.

I just looked real good - put two screens up at once

If you look REAL CLOSE there are two boxes - the upper Yellow Ad box and the lower Green box - they DO sit closer to the edge towards the left of the comic - definitely a TRIM job!!!

Take a real good look at the back cover scans for yourselves CAL...

They look identical to me. Your eyes might be playing tricks on you because you have the fanned pages in the 8.5 copy that are not visible in the 9.2 scan.