• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Spine Realignment Therapy, turn your 8.5's into 9.2's!

3,329 posts in this topic

Thanks. That's what I thought, so he's one of the "Wilson's" involved in this stuff?

Yes, it looks to be one of the ID's involved. I'm quite surprised by what he's pulling here. I guess it could be worse, with the book being cracked out and sold as unrestored with no mention of CGC's opinion. And I've seen disagreements with grades, but not many where the restoration call from CGC is refuted, and the book is listed as unrestored.

Notice that he says "this time" CGC says the cover was reglossed. Makes me think that he had submitted the book previously and it came back with a blue label or he bought it with a blue label, cracked it, pressed it, and resubmitted it. Probably why he is disputing the PLOD designation.

It means that he won it already slabbed in the Feb Heritage auction, pressed it, dry cleaned it, and resubbed it. He only paid $776.75 for it, so even though it ended up in a PLOD slab, he made money...

Maybe. I guess the thing that sticks out most is if he was going to go to the trouble of working on the book to that extent, why wouldn't he have replaced the rusted staples too?

Given what's been happening with this seller, far be it for me to be inclined to defend this individuals practices, but I've known books which were in blue labels that ended-up in purple labels because CGC missed the restoration the first time.

Given what's been happening with this seller, far be it for me to be inclined to defend this individuals practices, but I've known books which were in blue labels that ended-up in purple labels because CGC missed the restoration the first time.

Knowing the seller's longstanding notorious reputation for having to tinker with manipulate almost every book that touches his fingers, I'm more than willing to give CGC the benefit of the doubt on this one (and indeed, kudos to CGC for catching what most likely was an attempt to slip a book by them after if had been "Wilson-ized").

Knowing the seller's longstanding notorious reputation for having to tinker with manipulate almost every book that touches his fingers, I'm more than willing to give CGC the benefit of the doubt on this one (and indeed, kudos to CGC for catching what most likely was an attempt to slip a book by them after if had been "Wilson-ized").

We know it was in a blue label. The idea that someone with the kind of submission history he has, going to the trouble of reglossing a blue label book he knows full well would garner a purple label, just strikes me as being odd.

We know it was in a blue label. The idea that someone with the kind of submission history he has, going to the trouble of reglossing a blue label book he knows full well would garner a purple label, just strikes me as being odd.

unless one was trying a new method and this was a test to see if it would be noticed (Purple label) or go unnoticed (Blue label)

unless one was trying a new method and this was a test to see if it would be noticed (Purple label) or go unnoticed (Blue label)

Although the hucksterism in the guy is ridiculous, I can't see any reason why he would regloss just the front cover.

Since, I doubt there are many natural occurrences of different wear/ageing to the gloss between front and back, I would think the difference between the covers would be a dead give away for amateur reglossing of the front cover. Which likely would have occurred prior to his ownership.