• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Spine Realignment Therapy, turn your 8.5's into 9.2's!

3,329 posts in this topic

That is the point. They won't even have to read the boards, will never have to see the threads. The market capitalization of high grade books just dropped across the board. Unless, this book is an anomaly and was simply graded wrong.

Why would it be an anomaly?

The multi-year 'dancing around it' period ended with the Schmell mega-payday. Classics Inc was acquired. CCS is a formal part of the 'submission success formula'.

It's on.

:gossip: I was giving them an out

Nothing personal. :foryou: Thread just seems weird. Like everyone was asleep the past... decade? That's all.

This board was like ground zero for championing this stuff.

A decade designing a garden. :sumo: Then freak out over the fruit. :ohnoez: Weird. :screwy:

I'm on board with the idea that the acceptance of simple pressing was the catalyst for where we are now. But it doesn't follow that advocates of vanilla pressing shouldn't be bothered by where we are now. There are degrees.

Exactly. I've been called the next thing to hypocritical because I find this activity unacceptable even though I have been a defender of pressing in the past. To me, that makes no sense. That's when I remember where I am and the audience to whom this drama plays.

I've never bought a book that costs this much, but if I did, I wouldn't sell it for less than what I bought.

You're not alone, but this is exactly what will lead to a contraction of our hobby.

On "Pawn Stars" the other day a guy brought in what was apparently just an incredible collection of Hot Wheels cars, in great shape, still in their boxes, etc.,. The appraiser that was brought in to look at the collection had a great time and was really impressed with it, before telling the owner he thought it was worth ~one-third of what the owner thought it was worth (~$20,000 appraised vs. the owner's estimate of like $60,000). The appraiser commented something to the effect that "...maybe it was worth that much a few years ago at the peak of the market...". Ouch! :o

Good point. I wonder how much he paid. And, if someone had to liquidate for some emergency they'd be subject to that too. I dunno. I had a buddy in high school that collected X-Men. At that time, that was the run everyone wanted. This is 1982/3. I collected spidey and 121/122 were $20 in the guide and 129 wasn't broken out. Anyway, I asked him what if prices ever went down on the X-men and he said he'd buy more. Gene where are you?

Plus, let's not lose sight of the real problem. There's pressing and then there's stupidity. Stupidity is what CGC is encouraging, fostering, and displaying in allowing something like that in a blue label. The CGC is the one creating a marketplace where that type of creative manipulation is acceptable. I don't see these type of books jumping off the shelves with that level of eye appeal.

I agree with your comments about CGC, but this book will sell, and the seller will make a handsome profit. Whether it gets standard 9.2 money or not really doesn't matter because the profit is conducive to more of this kind of activity.

What if the book sells for 8.5 money?

It doesn't matter what it sells for. It's a practice that shouldn't be encouraged by the CGC.

Comics are a commodity, thank god!

Comic books hit their stride as a commodity once the CGC began slabbing individual pages of Action #1.

Is there something wrong with slabbing individual pages/wraps of Action #1?

Nope, but it hits home the idea of commoditization when a book is broken down page by page and sold in a manner that typically wouldn't have had any value.

You are wrong. I could sell any pages/wraps od Action #1 for the same amount of money, raw or slabbed. That's a fact. (thumbs u

Sell whatever you want to sell to whomever wants to buy it. Comics are a commodity, thank God! (thumbs u

Plus, let's not lose sight of the real problem. There's pressing and then there's stupidity. Stupidity is what CGC is encouraging, fostering, and displaying in allowing something like that in a blue label. The CGC is the one creating a marketplace where that type of creative manipulation is acceptable. I don't see these type of books jumping off the shelves with that level of eye appeal.

I agree with your comments about CGC, but this book will sell, and the seller will make a handsome profit. Whether it gets standard 9.2 money or not really doesn't matter because the profit is conducive to more of this kind of activity.

It doesn't matter what it sells for. It's a practice that shouldn't be encouraged by the CGC.

Comic books hit their stride as a commodity once the CGC began slabbing individual pages of Action #1.

Nope, but it hits home the idea of commoditization when a book is broken down page by page and sold in a manner that typically wouldn't have had any value.

You are wrong. I could sell any pages/wraps od Action #1 for the same amount of money, raw or slabbed. That's a fact. (thumbs u

Sell whatever you want to sell to whomever wants to buy it. Comics are a commodity, thank God! (thumbs u

I was just correcting the statment that raw Action #1 pages have no value.

That is the point. They won't even have to read the boards, will never have to see the threads. The market capitalization of high grade books just dropped across the board. Unless, this book is an anomaly and was simply graded wrong.

The multi-year 'dancing around it' period ended with the Schmell mega-payday. Classics Inc was acquired. CCS is a formal part of the 'submission success formula'.

It's on.

Nothing personal. :foryou: Thread just seems weird. Like everyone was asleep the past... decade? That's all.

A decade designing a garden. :sumo: Then freak out over the fruit. :ohnoez: Weird. :screwy:

I'm on board with the idea that the acceptance of simple pressing was the catalyst for where we are now. But it doesn't follow that advocates of vanilla pressing shouldn't be bothered by where we are now. There are degrees.

But that's just it. It was never just 'simple pressing'. Non-additive tweaks were in play from day-one, all of them. It just took a decade to drag it, ever so slowly, into the light, and begin to openly promote it.

It's on.

Good to see you, COI.

What fascinates me is that yes, this Seller has made serious coin. Good for him. Many are expressing their displeasure about that Seller making the serious coin via his method to meet his ends. Many have expressed the SAME displeasure about "pressing" in the first place. Example: I have a Ford Excursion 2004) the last year they were made), I put $1200 into it, then sell it for 6K vs. 3K. I did nothing wrong, I hope. I even TOLD the man( from Las Vegas, of all places, who drove 5 hours in his girlfriend's car to pick it up in person) about what I did, and showed him the Dingmaster's invoice, and Fords' Service Dep't replacing cylinder # 1 spark plug cap. He did not care. he did not even attempt to knock a few hundred off, which I was prepared to allow, just to allow the sale.

Another real close example is that rare Stamp years back, a Queen Victoria 1945-ish issue, the man had it "pressed" with a steam iron, sold it for 15x what he paid for it in NYC in 1960. No one said a word about that. But they did not have Chat Boards either in 1960.

I knew nothing of "collectors_comics" until today. I did know of racer X because of this Forum, but I don't think we ever had any transactions. I took a hard, long look at collectors_comics' "completed auctions" and he DOES get premium for his books; he does sell a lot of what I do on the 'Bay, and he actually eeks me out a tad for those ASM non-keys( I don't market keys with rare exceptions).

I can't throw any rocks at him. I can't throw any rocks at CGC/PGX/whomever. I got caught up in a great thread, and was more curious about if the book was trimmed or not. Not being too tech savvy, I did not see the back covers the first time I read this in the Silver Comics thread. Someone pointed this out, lo and behold, the back scans ARE in the auction listings. Take a look and what do YOU think???

CAL the comic collector/dealer

That's when I remember where I am and the audience to whom this drama plays.

So you're saying you're always right and have no part in either the drama or the audience. :eyeroll:

What is true is that whether a spine roll is introduced or removed, it takes the same mechanics, the same equipment and has the same results quantitatively to the book.

The two look different but to Dr. Manhattan they are both the same.

How many raw pages were you selling before the CGC started slabbing them with the NG designation?

All pages have value. Action #1 pages just have more value because Action #1's have more value.

It's on.

But that's just it. It was never just 'simple pressing'. Non-additive tweaks were in play from day-one, all of them. It just took a decade to drag it into the light and start openly promoting it..

Right, but what was initially put out there for consideration was 'simple pressing', with the other stuff coming to light gradually. So there will be some who may have initially been fine with the idea of simply flattening a book to remove a few non color-breaking dents, who don't like spine realignment.

But among books with same grade, don't books with white pages get higher prices? Don't books with no miscut or miswrap get higher prices? I don't see that changing, yet consensus appears to be that now all high grade books are going to drop in value. I don't think they will. I've never bought a book that costs this much, but if I did, I wouldn't sell it for less than what I bought.

Let's say the owner accepts an offer of 45K on eBay. GPA records the sale, which is 15K less than the last sale of a 9.2 in November. What does that new data point do to the value of other 9.2 copies, especially in the minds of potential buyers who aren't aware of the peculiarities of this copy?

But among books with same grade, don't books with white pages get higher prices? Don't books with no miscut or miswrap get higher prices? I don't see that changing, yet consensus appears to be that now all high grade books are going to drop in value. I don't think they will. I've never bought a book that costs this much, but if I did, I wouldn't sell it for less than what I bought.

Let's say the owner accepts an offer of 45K on eBay. GPA records the sale, which is 15K less than the last sale of a 9.2 in November. What does that new data point do to the value of other 9.2 copies, especially in the minds of potential buyers who aren't aware of the peculiarities of this copy?

Bingo.

This thread needs a theme song.

You know when I read the Clapton book, I was amazed that he said the most up he'd been in his life was during the Rainbow Concert. He says the whole thing was a blur and he was disappointed with the music that came out of it. It is funny because I really enjoy the CD. Makes you wonder what it could have been if he was sober.

It helps stabilize the market in a world where 3rd party grading is slowly but surely exaggerating the value of certain books.

What we need is a company to place a sticker on the front of these eye sores and fix everything!

If someone is spending $45,000.00 on one comic book, and they don't know what they're doing, they have so much money, they'll be okay.

BTW, how many people aren't aware of the peculiarities of pressing, crack sub resubmit, trimming, etc., but are aware of GPA?

It helps stabilize the market in a world where 3rd party grading is slowly but surely exaggerating the value of certain books.

What we need is a company to place a sticker on the front of these eye sores and fix everything!

Exactly! (thumbs u

Well, if a person needs a sticker for that Avengers #1, then it better be in braille.

If someone is spending $45,000.00 on one comic book, and they don't know what they're doing, they have so much money, they'll be okay.

BTW, how many people aren't aware of the peculiarities of pressing, crack sub resubmit, trimming, etc., but are aware of GPA?

Again, this is not about one book, one type of collector, or one sale. This is about a practice. And for every $45,000 book this is being done on, you can bet there are hundreds of $500-$5000 books being given the same treatment. If people don't catch on, the census inflates and you have a bunch of books in holders they shouldn't be in. If people do catch on, you have deflated price data AND a bunch of books in holders they shouldn't be in.

My concern is for the buyer at 60K last November of a copy that may very well be graded correctly, whose book may now be devalued by the potential sale of this copy which was grossly overgraded. Knowledge of pressing and CRP are a different animal than CGC overgading a particular copy.