• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Spine Realignment Therapy, turn your 8.5's into 9.2's!

3,329 posts in this topic

Admittedly, knowledge of this technique was new to CGC.

Odd then that 2 previous CGC graders were fully aware of it.

Thanks for the update Mark! (thumbs u

What color label would a "reverse spine roll" receive and would it be noted on the label?

+1 will it be noted on the label?

I'd like to know this as well.

they seem to be talking about it in the same terms as pressing, so I'd assume no (since pressing isnt noted on labels unless its part of larger restorative projects)... and it'd still be blue. All that will change is that graders will be on the look out for migrated spine stress, and (Im assuming) grade the book as if the stress was still on the spine.

Thanks for the update Mark! (thumbs u

What color label would a "reverse spine roll" receive and would it be noted on the label?

+1 will it be noted on the label?

I'd like to know this as well.

they seem to be talking about it in the same terms as pressing, so I'd assume no (since pressing isnt noted on labels unless its part of larger restorative projects)... and it'd still be blue. All that will change is that graders will be on the look out for migrated spine stress, and (Im assuming) grade the book as if the stress was still on the spine.

Grading books "as if" something were where it isnt. :eek:

I don't quite follow what Mark is saying. It seems like CGC was mis-grading books so now they are going to stop. Does that about sum it up?

Basically. Seems like they just want to say they are doing something when properly grading the book is all anyone could hope for. Thinking there will be a label notation or label color change is a pipedream.

I don't quite follow what Mark is saying. It seems like CGC was mis-grading books so now they are going to stop. Does that about sum it up?

No. CGC was misgrading books and will now charge you $12 to fix their mistake. Clear?

BTW. Keep on taping away.

No. CGC was misgrading books and will now charge you $12 to fix their mistake. Clear?

Good point! I guess there is an advantage to be one of the minority collectors that focuses on the books appearance rather than the BS number in the top corner of the label (thumbs u

As promised, I wanted to provide the Community with an update on where things stand following CGC/CCS's examination of a number of books that had undergone what has now been identified, or described, as a reverse spine roll technique. This issue has obviously been a source of controversy and concern and CGC/CCS viewed the situation with the utmost seriousness and sought to address it diligently and promptly.

Admittedly, knowledge of this technique was new to CGC. Prior to it being brought to CGC’s attention through the message boards, any grading of books that had visibly undergone the procedure were viewed as having a manufacturing issue, similar to minor mis-cuts, mis-aligned staples, uneven edge cuts and/or cover veins. These attributes are not typically penalized for books in the highest of grading categories. The spine defects, which had now been rolled out of sight from the front cover, generally accounted for the grade increase on books where it made a significant difference in appearance. It is also certainly possible that other improvements that were created through the application of normal pressing techniques may have contributed to a grade increase as well.

As far as our investigation has determined, the technique was performed by only one Member Dealer. Upon our request, CGC/CCS obtained and reviewed several books from this individual that exhibited a reverse spine roll from pressing. Now that CGC knows what to look for there are actually several telltale signs that will likely allow CGC to flag this type of pressing technique in the future. The most obvious and consistent sign is the fanned pages along the right side of the book. Sometimes the spine line is visible on the back cover once the spine roll is created and that line is shifted back. Other times, because the cover and interior pages are being displaced from their original position, the paper around the staple is stressed, causing a defect that looks very similar to an impacted staple. To further emphasis the difference between the two, it should be pointed out that front cover mis-cuts look nothing like the reverse spine rolls that have been exposed. Knowledge of the technique should allow CGC graders to routinely differentiate between intentional spine rolls and a normal mis-cut from the factory. For the record, none of the books reviewed by CGC showed evidence of having been disassembled.

In light of this new information, CGC is formally announcing a policy change with respect to its grading standards. From this point forward, CGC will treat reverse spine rolls as a defect to the same extent as it does with books that were damaged by improper pressing. How the determination of a reverse spine roll defect will impact the grade of a book will, of course, be determined on a case-by-case evaluation. Because these spine rolls are typically minor in scale, usually 1/8” or less, there will be little to no impact on lower graded books. The term “Reverse spine roll” will be added to the defect list for CGC graders, as well as to the grading notes if evidence of such is identified with a particular book.

It is the opinion of CCS that these reverse spine rolls can be removed through proper pressing in order to re-align the book's spine back to its original state. If you own a comic book that you believe exhibits this type of reverse spine roll and you would like it corrected, CCS, which has extensive experience in determining the difference between the two from years of removing natural spine rolls, is offering re-alignment for $12.00 per book, regardless of the value of the book. Of course, CCS offers no guarantee of the CGC grade outcome of any book that undergoes its procedures.

The reverse spine roll issue has opened up discussions within CGC regarding pressing in general and how it can impact grade determinations. Since the practice of pressing has become more transparent in the hobby, CGC has seen an influx of poorly pressed books submitted for grading. Because pressing can damage a book and lower its grade/value, CCS will soon publicly present information on the adverse effects that can occur through application of an improper pressing technique. Additionally, CGC will more closely examine books for poor pressing techniques when determining grades.

We wish to publicly thank and applaud those in our Community who helped bring this issue to light. The cooperative effort that occurred is a testament to the mutual and beneficial relationship that exists between CGC/CCS and this Community.

If you have any questions, please either post them here or contact me via PM or e-mail at Mark@MarkZaid.com. Thanks!

Maybe I'm overtly dense, but that giant wall of words told me nothing.

I'm gonna read it a few more times to be sure....

And if you don't like it after it's fixed you can always have it realigned again.

Ken

And if you don't like it after it's fixed you can always have it realigned again.

Ken

How many realignments before its considered resto? ???

As promised, I wanted to provide the Community with an update on where things stand following CGC/CCS's examination of a number of books that had undergone what has now been identified, or described, as a reverse spine roll technique. This issue has obviously been a source of controversy and concern and CGC/CCS viewed the situation with the utmost seriousness and sought to address it diligently and promptly.

Admittedly, knowledge of this technique was new to CGC. Prior to it being brought to CGC’s attention through the message boards, any grading of books that had visibly undergone the procedure were viewed as having a manufacturing issue, similar to minor mis-cuts, mis-aligned staples, uneven edge cuts and/or cover veins. These attributes are not typically penalized for books in the highest of grading categories. The spine defects, which had now been rolled out of sight from the front cover, generally accounted for the grade increase on books where it made a significant difference in appearance. It is also certainly possible that other improvements that were created through the application of normal pressing techniques may have contributed to a grade increase as well.

As far as our investigation has determined, the technique was performed by only one Member Dealer. Upon our request, CGC/CCS obtained and reviewed several books from this individual that exhibited a reverse spine roll from pressing. Now that CGC knows what to look for there are actually several telltale signs that will likely allow CGC to flag this type of pressing technique in the future. The most obvious and consistent sign is the fanned pages along the right side of the book. Sometimes the spine line is visible on the back cover once the spine roll is created and that line is shifted back. Other times, because the cover and interior pages are being displaced from their original position, the paper around the staple is stressed, causing a defect that looks very similar to an impacted staple. To further emphasis the difference between the two, it should be pointed out that front cover mis-cuts look nothing like the reverse spine rolls that have been exposed. Knowledge of the technique should allow CGC graders to routinely differentiate between intentional spine rolls and a normal mis-cut from the factory. For the record, none of the books reviewed by CGC showed evidence of having been disassembled.

In light of this new information, CGC is formally announcing a policy change with respect to its grading standards. From this point forward, CGC will treat reverse spine rolls as a defect to the same extent as it does with books that were damaged by improper pressing. How the determination of a reverse spine roll defect will impact the grade of a book will, of course, be determined on a case-by-case evaluation. Because these spine rolls are typically minor in scale, usually 1/8” or less, there will be little to no impact on lower graded books. The term “Reverse spine roll” will be added to the defect list for CGC graders, as well as to the grading notes if evidence of such is identified with a particular book.

It is the opinion of CCS that these reverse spine rolls can be removed through proper pressing in order to re-align the book's spine back to its original state. If you own a comic book that you believe exhibits this type of reverse spine roll and you would like it corrected, CCS, which has extensive experience in determining the difference between the two from years of removing natural spine rolls, is offering re-alignment for $12.00 per book, regardless of the value of the book. Of course, CCS offers no guarantee of the CGC grade outcome of any book that undergoes its procedures.

The reverse spine roll issue has opened up discussions within CGC regarding pressing in general and how it can impact grade determinations. Since the practice of pressing has become more transparent in the hobby, CGC has seen an influx of poorly pressed books submitted for grading. Because pressing can damage a book and lower its grade/value, CCS will soon publicly present information on the adverse effects that can occur through application of an improper pressing technique. Additionally, CGC will more closely examine books for poor pressing techniques when determining grades.

We wish to publicly thank and applaud those in our Community who helped bring this issue to light. The cooperative effort that occurred is a testament to the mutual and beneficial relationship that exists between CGC/CCS and this Community.

If you have any questions, please either post them here or contact me via PM or e-mail at Mark@MarkZaid.com. Thanks!

I think the highlighted part might be significant. Now that CGC has it's own pressing service, I wonder if the books from their presses, will automatically be declared OK?