• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Spine Realignment Therapy, turn your 8.5's into 9.2's!

3,329 posts in this topic

Originally posted in the Silver Age forum:

Came across this, not knowing if anyone else noticed, but I thought I'd share. On February 10, Heritage sold a raw Strange Tales 110 that it listed as a VG for around $500. That same VG book is now selling on eBay as, at least to my untrained eye, something that looks a heckuva lot better. To me, it looks like a FN, possibly because of a press and brighter lighting. (Note: The eBay seller does not list what he believes to be the book's condition.)

I wanted to know what you guys thought. Something done to this book to make it look better? Does it look like nothing at all was done to it with only the lighting in the ebay photo making the book look better than it actually is?

Btw, the eBay auction is going strong with the top bid standing at $1000 as of Thursday night. The auction ends Sunday night.

Heritage's VG (http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=121306&lotNo=13391#Photo):

ST110HAVG_zpsf5dd6f67.jpg

eBay's (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Strange-Tales-110-MARVEL-1963-HIGHER-GRADE-1st-App-Dr-Strange-Human-Torch-/350788372322?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item51ac9dc762):

ST110EBAY_zps5662a141.jpg

My quote from the other thread:

Now that you mention it, the spine has been shifted on this book ever so slightly!

Notice you can see a little black above the top staple next to the logo and price blue box and on the newer scan you can't!

I'll stand by it! :sumo:

My quote from the other thread:

Now that you mention it, the spine has been shifted on this book ever so slightly!

Notice you can see a little black above the top staple next to the logo and price blue box and on the newer scan you can't!

I'll stand by it! :sumo:

+1. The spine's definitely shifted.

Came across this, not knowing if anyone else noticed, but I thought I'd share. On February 10, Heritage sold a raw Strange Tales 110 that it listed as a VG for around $500. That same VG book is now selling on eBay as, at least to my untrained eye, something that looks a heckuva lot better. To me, it looks like a FN, possibly because of a press and brighter lighting. (Note: The eBay seller does not list what he believes to be the book's condition.)

I wanted to know what you guys thought. Something done to this book to make it look better? Does it look like nothing at all was done to it with only the lighting in the ebay photo making the book look better than it actually is?

Btw, the eBay auction is going strong with the top bid standing at $1000 as of Thursday night. The auction ends Sunday night.

eBay's (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Strange-Tales-110-MARVEL-1963-HIGHER-GRADE-1st-App-Dr-Strange-Human-Torch-/350788372322?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item51ac9dc762):

Who ever did it was an amateur. You can see he started to scrape at the price sticker residue and scraped off part of the book instead. doh!

Who ever did it was an amateur. You can see he started to scrape at the price sticker reside and scraped off part of the book instead. doh!

Do an eBay search and check out the seller.

Who ever did it was an amateur. You can see he started to scrape at the price sticker reside and scraped off part of the book instead. doh!

Actually, Aces, in the silver thread suggested it might have been the result of the hot press causing more damage to the area the sticker was removed due to the heated glue residue sticking to the release paper. Either way, this looks like a botched job attempt at improving the grade. It's still working to a profit for the seller for some reason but IMHO the grade looks to be worse now than when it was first sold due to the sticker pull area now being worse than before and a slight miswrap now showing the interior pages. It's possible with these flaws that spine realignment may not have been the intent so much as just a simple pressing that went bad here considering the slight shift rather than the larger shift examples we've seen in the past. Part of the problem with the 2nd photo is the dark background which makes it difficult to make out the entire spine edge and the lower picture quality which blurs some of the obvious spine creases that are clearly still present on the FC.

Either way, the question is, having never seen the original photo, would you u pay more than $500 for this book and why is anyone? If the answer is yes then the seller is vindicated, if no, then the seller got lucky with a sucker. 2c

Given the fact that the back half of the book is not sticking out on the right side, I have to assume that they either fixed the spine roll the book already had...or the entire back half of the book was trimmed off to make it flush on the right.

There is no scan of the back in the Heritage auction, so it's impossible to know if there was a spine roll. I have to assume there was, though, given the placement of the staples in the Heritage scan and the fact that it doesn't really look like it was trimmed in the eBay auction scans.

So they fixed a book that had a spine roll. Good for them. It happens all the time by people right here on these boards.

different seller unless they are selling under multiple accounts.

At least the seller shows it in a restored slab and says they disagree with the restoration assessment by CGC....

some other dealers would just crack the slab and sell it raw with no mention.

Thanks. That's what I thought, so he's one of the "Wilson's" involved in this stuff?

Thanks. That's what I thought, so he's one of the "Wilson's" involved in this stuff?

Yes, it looks to be one of the ID's involved. I'm quite surprised by what he's pulling here. I guess it could be worse, with the book being cracked out and sold as unrestored with no mention of CGC's opinion. And I've seen disagreements with grades, but not many where the restoration call from CGC is refuted, and the book is listed as unrestored.

Yes, it looks to be one of the ID's involved. I'm quite surprised by what he's pulling here. I guess it could be worse, with the book being cracked out and sold as unrestored with no mention of CGC's opinion. And I've seen disagreements with grades, but not many where the restoration call from CGC is refuted, and the book is listed as unrestored.

Notice that he says "this time" CGC says the cover was reglossed. Makes me think that he had submitted the book previously and it came back with a blue label or he bought it with a blue label, cracked it, pressed it, and resubmitted it. Probably why he is disputing the PLOD designation.

Notice that he says "this time" CGC says the cover was reglossed. Makes me think that he had submitted the book previously and it came back with a blue label or he bought it with a blue label, cracked it, pressed it, and resubmitted it. Probably why he is disputing the PLOD designation.

It means that he won it already slabbed in the Feb Heritage auction, pressed it, dry cleaned it, and resubbed it. He only paid $776.75 for it, so even though it ended up in a PLOD slab, he made money...

137751.jpg.639f9f6f15333f3701de70410f3fff50.jpg

It means that he won it already slabbed in the Feb Heritage auction, pressed it, dry cleaned it, and resubbed it...

Amazing :tonofbricks: , great detective work, Jeff! :foryou: