• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Spine Realignment Therapy, turn your 8.5's into 9.2's!

3,329 posts in this topic

Plus, let's not lose sight of the real problem. There's pressing and then there's stupidity. Stupidity is what CGC is encouraging, fostering, and displaying in allowing something like that in a blue label. The CGC is the one creating a marketplace where that type of creative manipulation is acceptable. I don't see these type of books jumping off the shelves with that level of eye appeal.

I agree with your comments about CGC, but this book will sell, and the seller will make a handsome profit. Whether it gets standard 9.2 money or not really doesn't matter because the profit is conducive to more of this kind of activity. The larger implication is that the confidence in graded books continues to erode over time, in conjunction with oversaturation, as frankenbooks, general pressing, and overgrading swells the census.

The CGC will push profits to the breaking point, so this long-term effect likely doesn't concern them. It's collectors who need to be concerned. If I had money I was counting on tied into graded books, I'd get out now.

Agreed on all points. (thumbs u

If the CGC music ever suddenly stops playing in this hobby, whoever is left holding this piece of mess Avengers # 1 will lose a lot of money. The fact that the book is sitting jn a 9.2 blue label holder is just ridiculous beyond words and I think it's an eye opener to a lot of people who always think that CGC is right in what they do.

Yep. Like many corporations, CGC is engaged in a 'race to the bottom' in pursuit of profits. Short term profitability achieved by capitalizing on opportunities that threaten the long term viability of the business. Additionally, the CGC being the only real game in town exacerbates this.

It's now up to the individual collector to manage their own risk.

It's collectors who need to be concerned.

I disagree here. It's the investors that need to be concerned. With the CGC, without the CGC, my Astonishing X-Men books really aren't going to amount to a hill of beans... 10.0, 9.9, 9.8, SSed, or otherwise. It's the higher graded keys that will tank as the confidence in the CGC's grading erodes and the census numbers swell.

It's collectors who need to be concerned.

I disagree here. It's the investors that need to be concerned. With the CGC, without the CGC, my Astonishing X-Men books really aren't going to amount to a hill of beans... 10.0, 9.9, 9.8, SSed, or otherwise. It's the higher graded keys that will tank as the confidence in the CGC's grading erodes and the census numbers swell.

True, except I say collector because I feel that few collectors are able to clearly delineate their stake in this hobby. The buyers who are in danger are those buying the books that will most likely be manipulated in this manner, and unless there are way more exceedingly wealthy people collecting than I imagine, I would guess that a significant amount of buyers in this end of the pool couldn't afford to take a bath on most of their books.

The problem is, many of these people don't consider themselves "investors", so if you use that term you end up disqualifying a group of people (in their minds) who are actually a part of that group. This is why I specified collectors who need the money they have tied into books, as opposed to collectors like yourself who don't.

Every hobby, more accurately every economic model has their loopholes and grey areas and along with that comes those that learn to use whatever system is in place to their best advantage.

This particular one may be a recent product of CGC but getting the most you can for the product you have is as old as time itself. Nothing new.

Before CGC there was undisclosed resto, faked Pedigrees, switched books, pressing, misrepresentation, etc.

This is just another cog in the big wheel and people get educated about it through experience, make their decisions and move on. There will always be collectors (or collector investors/collector dealers/whatever you want to call them). They'll just have more experience going forward.

I know I learned a lot in the past 24 hours about spine roll. :facepalm:

Can we see a back cover scan of the 9.2?

Exactly this thread has been completely worthless till we see the back cover.

Not saying it is not the same book, but just from those two scans no one can be sure.

I would like to think it would be impossible for anyone to grade that book a 9.2 with all those defects.

Exactly this thread has been completely worthless till we see the back cover.

14 pages of yapyap.

No back cover.

I think the big issue isn't for hard core collectors, they see the fanning/miswrap/rolling and wouldn't buy it.

However, the Nic Cage types, people that have more money than sense, people that read the WSJ and think, I should buy comics as an investment are going to get screwed.

CGC commoditizes books so that they can be sold on ebarf and one can be assured that they are getting what they pay for. That is, that Danny Cupcake hasn't worked his magic.

Seems like the 90's in spirit all over again.

Before CGC there was undisclosed resto, faked Pedigrees, switched books, pressing, misrepresentation, etc.

This is just another cog in the big wheel and people get educated about it through experience, make their decisions and move on. There will always be collectors (or collector investors/collector dealers/whatever you want to call them). They'll just have more experience going forward.

Right, but before CGC I doubt anyone paid $1000+ for an ASM 68. The stakes have been raised post-CGC, and this was predicated upon confidence in their assessment of books. As this confidence erodes, any semi-rational person must begin to question how they as individuals, and the market as a whole should determine the value of graded books.

It's not that collectors/investors/dealers will disappear. Presently, however, they stand to take a tremendous hit.

Ummmmmm then I might conclude they are different books. (shrug)

Nope. Seller admits it's the same book. RacerX confirmed this in the Silver thread.

Ummmmmm then I might conclude they are different books. (shrug)

Nope. Seller admits it's the same book. RacerX confirmed this in the Silver thread.

Well I must admit then that is one A+ pressing job. :fear:

Thanks for the info going to the silver forum now.

I think the big issue isn't for hard core collectors, they see the fanning/miswrap/rolling and wouldn't buy it....
It is a big issue for hard core collectors as it will temper the disparity in values between high grade/high value books. It dilutes the value of other high grade books.

Meta considerations:

It is a transfer of $ from high grade books to previously lower grade books with a cut taken by the presser and CGC.