• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insane press and flip Avengers 1.

491 posts in this topic

All because the spine stress was able to be shifted... 8.5 to a 9.2 insane. Boggles my mind that someone can see spine stress and realize it can be shifted so it's not visible.

Looking at the 8.5, looks like its lucky to be an 8.5.

Agree with you on the 8.5, don't know how it achieved that with a spine in that condition.

Either way, I wouldn't buy it. Pet hate... the pages of the book showing from under the front cover by about an inch, I don't like that.

The 8.5 has at least a dozen spine stresses and a good amount of corner abrasion at both the top and bottom of the spine. Is the 9.2 really the same book? And what's up with the top right corner? :o

The 8.5 has at least a dozen spine stresses and a good amount of corner abrasion at both the top and bottom of the spine. Is the 9.2 really the same book? And what's up with the top right corner? :o

The seller of the 9.2 is the buyer of the 8.5.

I tried to compare both books as well, the page overhang is the same.... so could very well be the same book.

I don't understand pressing myself but those spine defects to me wouldn't neccesarily disappear with a press?

I tried to compare both books as well, the page overhang is the same.... so could very well be the same book.

I don't understand pressing myself but those spine defects to me wouldn't neccesarily disappear with a press?

Its the same book. The spine/staples have been shifted to hide the defects.

Wow - to me, this is beyond what I ever thought of as pressing but I suppose it is a slippery slope

Simply put, If I bought this book and found out what it used to look like, I'd be upset

Its the same book. The spine/staples have been shifted to hide the defects.

Hidden from view from the front, but those spine stresses (and the more egregious mid-spine abrasion) should now be visible from the back.

The color flake missing from Loki's neck a little more than half way down from the top is now visible on the back cover of the 9.2. Looks like it might be the same book.

The reorientation of the cover so that the pages stick out so much is fugly. This one's a pressing monstrosity. Wondering if it had to be disassembled to achieve the end result?

The color flake missing from Loki's neck a little more than half way down from the top is now visible on the back cover of the 9.2. Looks like it might be the same book.

The reorientation of the cover so that the pages stick out so much is fugly. This one's a pressing monstrosity. Wondering if it had to be disassembled to achieve the end result?

I don't think it had to be reassembled.

No doubt, and since pressing does not remove color-breaking spine stresses, color flaking, corner abrasion, and whatever's going on to that top right corner, CGC missed the boat on this book big time (if it's the same book, which it appears to be).

I wonder if the board member that sold this book to the new seller thinks it's the same book? hm

No doubt, and since pressing does not remove color-breaking spine stresses, color flaking, corner abrasion, and whatever's going on to that top right corner, CGC missed the boat on this book big time (if it's the same book, which it appears to be).

I wonder if the board member that sold this book to the new seller thinks it's the same book? hm

I know it's the same book, all the spine dmg is now dead center on the spine/slightly on the BC.

This is not the first time where a book is realigned so that the old spine is "slipped" behind the book. There were other examples but at least one was shown and discussed in the restoration forum last year.

Just my opinion/guess but to achieve this...the book must be open and flatten completely to remove the "paper memory" of the old spine and then refold with the new fold at the spine.

the CPR game has advances to the next level...I can see a slew of silver age mega key books resurface with this kind of realignment. It is a dead give away to see the interior extend pass the front cover this way.

This is not the first time where a book is realigned so that the old spine is "slipped" behind the book. There were other examples but at least one was shown and discussed in the restoration forum last year.

Just my opinion/guess but to achieve this...the book must be open and flatten completely to remove the "paper memory" of the old spine and then refold with the new fold at the spine.

My thoughts also. I don't know how the cover could have been re-aligned without flattening, or removing the cover, flattening and re-assembling. Maybe Ze-Man could chime in here. Maybe I'll drop him a P.M.

This bothers me. This could be the example of when pressing went too far. Gonna have to be extra careful when purchasing further CGC books.
why limit to cgc books...raw books can have the same thing happen (shrug)

My thoughts also. I don't know how the cover could have been re-aligned without flattening, or removing the cover, flattening and re-assembling. Maybe Ze-Man could chime in here. Maybe I'll drop him a P.M.

You can shift the alignment without taking the book apart.

It has to be flattened and refolded.