• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insane press and flip Avengers 1.

491 posts in this topic

The 8.5 has at least a dozen spine stresses and a good amount of corner abrasion at both the top and bottom of the spine. Is the 9.2 really the same book? And what's up with the top right corner? :o

This is not the first time where a book is realigned so that the old spine is "slipped" behind the book. There were other examples but at least one was shown and discussed in the restoration forum last year.

Just my opinion/guess but to achieve this...the book must be open and flatten completely to remove the "paper memory" of the old spine and then refold with the new fold at the spine.

the CPR game has advances to the next level...I can see a slew of silver age mega key books resurface with this kind of realignment. It is a dead give away to see the interior extend pass the front cover this way.

I was baffled this guy saw the book and knew he could re align the spine and get a grade bump.

On 8/18/11 I sold an Action #37 8.0 on eBay for $2051 to a buyer in southern California. The buyer then used the exact same intentional spine roll method and got the book upgraded to a 9.0! He then re-listed it on his seller account with a big buy it now price and also had it on clink. His buyer/seller accounts are different. I think this might be the same individual. If you see a 9.0 with a mis-cut right edge, that's it! It's not the Larson copy.

On a different note, how did this ever score an 8.5?? How did it score a 9.2 after spine rolling it?? (shrug)

CGC graders need to refocus their eyes toward the back cover instead of just looking at the spine. Those cb ticks don't go away, they are just shifted and fooled the eyes of the graders that are so used to focus on the spine.

CGC graders need to refocus their eyes toward the back cover instead of just looking at the spine. Those cb ticks don't go away, they are just shifted and fooled the eyes of the graders that are so used to focus on the spine.
For a nice 40k+ profit when sold :tonofbricks:

Someone has to know where his 4.5 Batman 1 came from before it was pressed and what its previous grade was. You can also tell on the BC that the spine has been shifted.

You're right. Absolutely no doubt that the Batman 1 was shifted about 1/4" to make the front cover look nicer.

Wouldn't this just be an example of simply taking out a spine roll?

I had this idea a while ago. Not that I would deface a book for money.

http://cgcforum.gpanalysis.com/cgcforum_thread.asp?threadid=5959635&threadname=Pressing+out+a+miss+wrap+%3F&forumID=30&refreshing=on

If you shift the spine why don't you end up with a book length horizontal crease where the spine used to be? Lots of sub creases cant be pressed out and they wouldnt be from as tight a bend as a spine would they?

This bothers me. This could be the example of when pressing went too far. Gonna have to be extra careful when purchasing further CGC books.
why limit to cgc books...raw books can have the same thing happen (shrug)

Good point! I guess I just specified since we were discussing a CGC graded book.

Someone has to know where his 4.5 Batman 1 came from before it was pressed and what its previous grade was. You can also tell on the BC that the spine has been shifted.

You're right. Absolutely no doubt that the Batman 1 was shifted about 1/4" to make the front cover look nicer.

Wouldn't this just be an example of simply taking out a spine roll?

Oh well, I wonder if he does his own work. He knows his mess... I bet he does, I'd imagine someone who does the work would only realize that avengers 1 potential..

I'm glad the OP pointed this out. I was previously unaware of this technique and would hope to avoid purchasing such books in the future. Collectors_comics should be a business with a person behind it, does anyone have the name of the proprietor? Can we outright phone and ask if this book has been manipulated? I'd have no problem doing it.

Second question - does GPAnalysis keep an archive of the CGC Forum, and why? I noticed this just a couple of weeks ago doing an Internet search. Thanks

I think this part is a big problem. All of the damage on the book is still there, it is just now on the back cover. The pressing didn't remove any/much of the damage. We as collectors focus too much on the front cover, only natural I guess since that is what you look at most. But damage should be damage, whether it is on the front or back cover. 2c

I think this part is a big problem. All of the damage on the book is still there, it is just now on the back cover. The pressing didn't remove any/much of the damage. We as collectors focus too much on the front cover, only natural I guess since that is what you look at most. But damage should be damage, whether it is on the front or back cover. 2c

I don't mind pressing or spine roll removal. Shifting the spine to hide damage for a higher grade, that doesn't sit well. I buy pressed books and I am happy with them. If I found a book I bought that went that route of the Avengers 1, Id be troubled.

I wouldn't like the way those pages protrude out of the right edge now.

I definitely agree with that, the book presented better overall before it was shifted. I really hope the marketplace doesn't reward this practice.