• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is this type of damage/wear called and is there anything that can be done?

12 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I am realising that this kind of damage (see pic) on a book is a grade killer. Its basically white wear/stress directly along the spine. But had a few questions about this:

1. What is the correct grading term for this damage? Assume "spine wear"?

2. What causes it? I have a lot of modern variants that seem to have this within first week of release whereas other moderns after 1 or 2 yrs do not have it. Could it be a printing defect??

3. Am i correct in thinking pressing won't even get this out as it essentially breaks the spine colour?

Thanks all!

147077.jpg.6c955246f9de51f48e2a4be5198c5016.jpg

You may also see it referred to as fraying. I'll post pictures of a 9.6 sandman that exhibits this feathering/fraying on the spine with 1/16 to 1/8 spine splits.

there are some books that are prone to this kind of damage,particularly books from the 90's like sandman and preacher, spawn books also.

I really don't know how cgc views this, but by the example I'll show, it does not appear to impact grade as severely as one would think.

I'll post the pictures when I'm home.

Joey, have you noticed if they were frayed as of the time of production, because I feel that some of my books didn't allows exhibit that but slowly over time began to develop that frayed spine.

I remember when these were distributed to the dealers and I commented on how cracked up the spines were. I even remember paying $500 for a raw copy way back in the day. I can only assume if the book is stored flat with any weight on it the cracking would get worse over time. Even reading it a few times would create more creasing and cracking.