What is this type of damage/wear called and is there anything that can be done?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

48 posts

Hi all,

I am realising that this kind of damage (see pic) on a book is a grade killer. Its basically white wear/stress directly along the spine. But had a few questions about this:

1. What is the correct grading term for this damage? Assume "spine wear"?

2. What causes it? I have a lot of modern variants that seem to have this within first week of release whereas other moderns after 1 or 2 yrs do not have it. Could it be a printing defect??

3. Am i correct in thinking pressing won't even get this out as it essentially breaks the spine colour?

Thanks all!

147077.jpg.6c955246f9de51f48e2a4be5198c5016.jpg

1,668 posts

Pressing will do nothing to fix this problem. Once the color is broken, it's broken, unless you color touch it. However, that would be considered restoration, which most people frown upon.

1,413 posts

seems to be a side-effect of the heavier cover paper stock. thicker paper, cracks the color more when it's folded at the spine

5,372 posts

You may also see it referred to as fraying. I'll post pictures of a 9.6 sandman that exhibits this feathering/fraying on the spine with 1/16 to 1/8 spine splits.

there are some books that are prone to this kind of damage,particularly books from the 90's like sandman and preacher, spawn books also.

I really don't know how cgc views this, but by the example I'll show, it does not appear to impact grade as severely as one would think.

I'll post the pictures when I'm home.

22,232 posts

The Platinum Spiderman #1 was very prone to this due to the thick cover stock. Many copies have achieved 9.8 with this production flaw.

5,372 posts

Joey, have you noticed if they were frayed as of the time of production, because I feel that some of my books didn't allows exhibit that but slowly over time began to develop that frayed spine.

22,232 posts
Joey, have you noticed if they were frayed as of the time of production, because I feel that some of my books didn't allows exhibit that but slowly over time began to develop that frayed spine.

I remember when these were distributed to the dealers and I commented on how cracked up the spines were. I even remember paying $500 for a raw copy way back in the day. I can only assume if the book is stored flat with any weight on it the cracking would get worse over time. Even reading it a few times would create more creasing and cracking.

2,594 posts

Most of my afterlife with archies are like this, it's good to know it's considered a production flaw.

259 posts

was this a problem with some Marvel issues back in the 60's as well hm

26 posts

I have a CGC graded Preacher #1 (9.8) that has this along the entire spine! I'm guessing that's because they consider it a manufacturing defect? Crazy..