• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay to force non-store sellers to use auctions instead of fixed-price listings.

123 posts in this topic

Your BIN must be 30% larger then your starting auction price. I use to start my auctions at the price I wanted and then a BIN at 10% more but that got shut down last year. Now its all about fair priced BINs.

That change was such . BINs 10% higher was great for sellers, I used it and typically got BINs while protecting against downside risk. But now that there has to be a 30% spread that just leads to more overpriced BINs.

I think ebay should make everyone list auction style only with a starting bid of $0.99 only, but allow you to run the auction any length of time up to 3 weeks. That would clear the field of all this overpriced "Buy it now" drek cluttering up the site.

I think ebay should make everyone list auction style only with a starting bid of $0.99 only, but allow you to run the auction any length of time up to 3 weeks. That would clear the field of all this overpriced "Buy it now" drek cluttering up the site.

I am glad you aren't in charge of eBay.

:)

-slym

Yep, and when everyone starts doing this it will probably drive away buyers like me who turn the auction only filter on because we don't want to see all the fixed (over)priced auctions.

I would like to think that most buyers have the intelligence not to ignore fixed price listings for a book they are looking for simply because sometimes the book is listed at a price higher than they would be willing to pay.

Also I think you would be amazed with how often sellers are willing to let books go at lower prices than they have them listed for, even when best offers accepted are not listed as an option in the listing.

True, when I'm searching for a particular book I don't filter out fixed price options. Most of the time when I'm on there though I don't have a particular book in mind. I usually just hit up the Silver Age section and browse around.

I guess I've never really thought about making an offer when there is no Best Offer option. If you do that, is the transaction just done outside of ebay than?

Yep, and when everyone starts doing this it will probably drive away buyers like me who turn the auction only filter on because we don't want to see all the fixed (over)priced auctions.

I would like to think that most buyers have the intelligence not to ignore fixed price listings for a book they are looking for simply because sometimes the book is listed at a price higher than they would be willing to pay.

Also I think you would be amazed with how often sellers are willing to let books go at lower prices than they have them listed for, even when best offers accepted are not listed as an option in the listing.

True, when I'm searching for a particular book I don't filter out fixed price options. Most of the time when I'm on there though I don't have a particular book in mind. I usually just hit up the Silver Age section and browse around.

I guess I've never really thought about making an offer when there is no Best Offer option. If you do that, is the transaction just done outside of ebay than?

No usually the seller relists at price agreed and buyer snaps it up.

The problem I see is for those who are selling new releases or clearing out inventory. $0.30 doesn't sound like much, but when you factor in a mandatory minimum of $0.30 from Paypal as well, that $1.00 X-Force #1 taken out of its polybag isn't worth the gas you'd have to spend going to the post office.

Also, eBay's policy of taking 10% on the price of the item AND shipping really hurts and elevates the price because those fees get tacked on. In the end, sellers are asking for more, and things get out of control.

You and the guy that wants 20% to consign books should become partners.

Nope, just have the buyer modify the listing to accept best offers after a price is agreed upon via messaging. I get messaged offers from buyers all the time for books that are listed as buy-it-nows with no best offer available option on the listing. And I regularly have buyers hit the BIN on listings where best offers are accepted, which I never understand. I guess they think someone else will buy it for full price before I can respond to their offer?

lol, how true, but let's see, why in the world would I even list a single book that can only sell for $1-$2? It's not worth the time an effort, maybe more worth while to list as a lot of 10 or more. Anyone who has ever tried to make a quality ebay listing knows the amount of time it takes to research the item, create a listing with good images and descriptions, monitor it while it's live and then the effort for packaging and shipping on the back end. By the time it's all said and done, I may have over an hour of my time invested just for one listing, and if the item sells for only $1-$2, the only ones that has made $$$ on it is ebay and PayPal. So I try to chose my listings wisely, otherwise it's just not worth it.

:makepoint:

lol, how true, but let's see, why in the world would I even list a single book that can only sell for $1-$2? It's not worth the time an effort, maybe more worth while to list as a lot of 10 or more. Anyone who has ever tried to make a quality ebay listing knows the amount of time it takes to research the item, create a listing with good images and descriptions, monitor it while it's live and then the effort for packaging and shipping on the back end. By the time it's all said and done, I may have over an hour of my time invested just for one listing, and if the item sells for only $1-$2, the only ones that has made $$$ on it is ebay and PayPal. So I try to chose my listings wisely, otherwise it's just not worth it.

That's you. What about the rest of us?

Pretty bummed about this news. I use both formats and like to have the choice.

Can't the boffins over at ebay just sit on their thumbs for a while? Or is that asking too much?

An hour for a listing sounds like a heck of a lot unless we're talking about a $2000 book and you're taking multiple pics of the interiors.

Honestly, if you have a system in place it really shouldn't be more than 7-10 minutes scanning, figuring out a price and doing the listing and that is pushing it for $10-$25 stuff.

yes, not worth doing it for $1-$2 books. i don't know why anyone on ebay is selling $1-$2 books via a store or auction. i don't know why anyone is doing it here except maybe via a group shot with 6 or 8 books in it. it always puzzles me when someone scans in single books, book after book, to sell them for 50 cents each here.

An hour for a listing sounds like a heck of a lot unless we're talking about a $2000 book and you're taking multiple pics of the interiors.

Honestly, if you have a system in place it really shouldn't be more than 7-10 minutes scanning, figuring out a price and doing the listing and that is pushing it for $10-$25 stuff.

+1. I can scan, grade and list 15-20 books in an hour. An hour for one listing? You're doing it wrong.

Peace,

Chip

yes, not worth doing it for $1-$2 books. i don't know why anyone on ebay is selling $1-$2 books via a store or auction. i don't know why anyone is doing it here except maybe via a group shot with 6 or 8 books in it. it always puzzles me when someone scans in single books, book after book, to sell them for 50 cents each here.

Because you make more money.

Nope, just have the buyer modify the listing to accept best offers after a price is agreed upon via messaging. I get messaged offers from buyers all the time for books that are listed as buy-it-nows with no best offer available option on the listing. And I regularly have buyers hit the BIN on listings where best offers are accepted, which I never understand. I guess they think someone else will buy it for full price before I can respond to their offer?

doh!

I have no idea why that hasn't ever occurred to me. Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Because the lot of 10 books could sell for $1-2 even though each of those books is worth that by themselves.

+1. I can scan, grade and list 15-20 books in an hour. An hour for one listing? You're doing it wrong.

Peace,

Chip

I was trying to state my total invested time, not just the time to make the listing. Never mind the 30+ minutes spent for the trip to the post office and back. And judging from some of the ebay listings I see (crappy pictures, non-existant descriptions, blah, blah) and how slip-shod the packaging is by some sellers, it's obvious they are only taking a few minutes to make the listings and package their items.

rantrant

Schedule a pickup via USPS.com and that eliminates the 30-minute post office trip. I provide large front & back scans of each issue, note any "hidden" defects in addition to the letter grade, numeric grade & page quality AND pack to withstand a Godzilla-stomp. I still keep my time for the whole process lightning quick.

Your point is...? :)

Peace,

Chbip

Admittedly I'm a newer seller, but this ticks me off because I use a combination of both formats for different purposes (and to cycle through product). List (with automatic re-list) auction format for three cycles, list that item fixed price (with automatic re-list) for three cycles. The fixed price becomes a bank of items sellers can add on to their auction purchases, or that sell on their own. Since I started doing that my sales volume has tripled.

The only thing that will save me on the channel will be if the free listing offers include fixed price and I can maintain a solid base of items available at all times. Otherwise it's back to one big week of sales per month and much lower sales totals.

Question for anyone who has started an eBay store: Did you notice an increase in frequent buyers or an increase in sales after opening the store?

Also, are there any added features that you find useful, aside from the "Seller is away" option?