• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X Men #58 Opinions

29 posts in this topic

Christ! 10 years ago this probably would have passed for a 9.6!!

What an age we live in. confused.gif

it's not your fault rick, too many members on the forum here tends to undergrade so they don't come off like overgraders.

i said that earlier and i'll say it again, you have to remember, some of these guys undergraded greggy's conan #1. mad.gifblush.gifgrin.gif

i said that earlier and i'll say it again, you have to remember, some of these guys undergraded greggy's conan #1.

OK - taking that into consideration, I will say CGC gives it a 9.4. I saw that lower right bump right off but looking more at it, it is posible it is a scan thang.

If it IS a scan thang then I say 9.6! How's THAT for bold?

PS - am enjoying very nicely done fried prawns and roast duck - and a nice Appleton Estates Extra rum. My heart is definitely in my stomach!

So if you foud this now you wouldn't be happy?

The thing I don't like is that the condition of these books has become too much about the # CGC decides to assign a book. There's still something to be said about eye appeal. At this level, nice is nice. I take a nicer looking copy in 9.2, than a technical 9.4 anyday.

as for what CGC would grade it, it depends, you have to factor in a few things: how hungover they are from the previous night? how much they've been hitting the pipe? and what mood they're in if their stash has ran out. blush.gifshocked.gifwink.giftongue.gifgrin.gif it'a all part of the human factor thingy wink.gifgrin.gif

Ok, I actually don't have this book in hand so I can't get into specifics. I just bought it an hour ago:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32747&item=2157294170&rd=1

I think this is one of those rare occasions when a seller has downgraded his book, and I decided to post the pic for opinions. I consider myself to have a good eye, and I think this definetly has a running shot at a 9.4. When I recieve the book, I'll post my opinion. Whether or not I decide to submit, who knows?

mmmm.....roast duck where did you get it from?

Usually, I make it myself. Much better quality control! This time it came from the horrendously over-priced Harbor Village in Embarcadero 4. But they CAN make a good duck. (I once returned a takeout duck to them - it was about 60% bone and fat). The floor staff who saw it were actually upset.

When I make it myself I use a plum sauce, rice wine vinegar and soy sauce marinade with a hint of ginger and black bean sauce (a real hint) at the beginning. I go easy on the marinade and have actually three variants handy. Initially the plum sauce/vinegar.soy is at about a 2:2:1 ration. (the black bean and ginger never see the second stage). The second marinade (actually a "baste" as the bird is cooking now) has more plum sauce/vinegar and very little soy. The third baste has mainly plum sauce (but only about 30 minutes before the end and 15 minutes to the final shot...which is ... a straight baste of rice wine vineage (the pinkish stuff). The last bit of vinegar helps to "cleanse" the "stickiness". smile.gif

I shall check out your recommendation, though. It is always a treat to sample another concept!

This thread reminds me to give EBay seller "loisandclark" a plug. They sold me this X-Men 58 as a NM for $90 a few years ago:

Near Mint my A$$--that's at least 9.6, quite possibly 9.8. This is definitely one of my top 3 EBay experiences; I also got an excellent 9.4 copy of FF 89 in this deal for $19. I'm not much on slabbing books I intend to keep, but I really think I should do it for these copies that are around 9.8...too much risk in handling copies that highly graded! Even with a light touch it's not hard to knock copies like this down by a few hundred bucks with one extremely slight mistake.

I would send it in. Most raw books that I feel are NM or higher, I send in, even if I have no itention of selling. Like you said, one stupid fumble and you can knock a book down a full grade or two.

WOW! you actually roast the duck yourself?

Come ON, my dear Supa. Think about it? What labor goes into the roasting? All you have to do - with no marinade at all - just a roasted duck - stick it in the oven at 350 degrees F. for 30 minutes. Turn it over and let it go another 30 minutes. Cut back the heat to 300 degrees F. and finish it for 45 minutes!

What? Maybe about 10 minutes of your time for a WHOLE roasted duck that will either last you a few days or, if you do it alone in one day, will pay for your doctor's next trip to Canne!