• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Getting rid of "CGC it!!!!"

11 posts in this topic

So, I listed a pair of sunglasses as "RayBan-like" on eBay and a day or so later the listing was removed because using a brand name that way isn't allowed. I'm guessing this was a keyword search ebay was doing itself instead of action by the brand (just assuming, but I can't imagine RayBan has a team like that).

Couldn't that policy be used to get rid of CGC IT!!! Keyword spamming, and "PGX like CGC" listing descriptions? I imagine all it would take is CGC getting a service or trade mark on CGC (if they haven't already) and reporting that to ebay. What say you? Something that's been tried before?

Yeah, but they're more of a service so getting their name out there at no cost outweighs the inconvenience. Ray-Ban on the other hand doesn't want to be associated with cheap knockoffs.

FYI Ray-Ban is owned by Luxottica. Luxottica is the largest eyewear maker in the world. They actually make over 80% of all eyewear. (Basically every high end brand you are buying is actually designed, manufactured, and sold by Luxottica, which has licensed the rights to make eyewear for all boutique brands, though in the case of Ray-Ban they just own the company outright. You can see here that they do employ a large team whose job it is is to surf the internet, find brand knockoffs and take them down.

Keyword spamming is already against the rules on ebay. CGC wouldn't have to do anything about it. To filter out those sorts of spams, my ebay search (which is bookmarked) looks like this:

cgc -walking -worthy -ready -"cgc it" -"no cgc" -"not cgc"

(I am also not fond of walking dead.) Of course, that doesn't get rid of the aholes who just put "cgc" in their listing title without any other sort of qualifier.