• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Thread "The Flash" TV Show SPOILER-FILLED
4 4

2,573 posts in this topic

It’s official: The upcoming ninth season of The Flash on the CW will be its last. It will debut in 2023 and consist of 13 episodes, making this the shortest season of its run.

As Deadline reported, speculation that Season 9 could be The Flash‘s final chapter started in January when star Grant Gustin agreed to a one-year deal, capping his Season 9 involvement at 15 episodes. The CW in May announced that next season will be held for midseason, the first time The Flash has not been on the network’s fall schedule except for the CW’s pandemic fall 2020 lineup comprised predominantly by acquisitions.

Of The Flash‘s other original cast members, Candice Patton and Danielle Panabaker are set to return. Jesse L. Martin has an NBC pilot, The Irrational, which has him in first position. He is committed to as many as five episodes of The Flash‘s ninth season. The number conceivably could go up if his pilot does not go forward. NBC is expected to make a decision on its remaining three pilots soon.

The 13-episode midseason order would put The Flash series finale just weeks ahead of the planned June 23 release of Warner Bros.’ The Flash movie starring Ezra Miller as the title character. Coincidentally, the long-delayed film originally was announced just a week after The Flash series’ October 7 premiere on the CW. The series’ ending is expected to wrap its own storyline and not set up the movie in any way, sources said.

On 8/1/2022 at 3:23 PM, sd2416 said:

I quit watching a few years back.  Did they bring back Eobard Thawne

He has been in between 5 and 7 episodes each season over the last 3 years.  

Psy

Edited by PsylockeSmythe

I'm rewatching The Flash Season One during morning workouts. What a solid way to establish a show.

But like any of the DC/CW series with too many season episodes, you reveal so much early on it takes away the mystery of the characters over time. That's why Superman & Lois and Stargirl with 13-15 episodes is just enough to make viewers invested with it being too short (Disney+ MCU shows) or too much (traditional CW shows with 20 + episodes per season).

Arrow Star David Ramsey Says Diggle's Green Lantern Tease Isn't Resolved

During his appearance at DragonCon, Ramsey told fans that the story is not resolved, largely due to Superman & Lois existing in a separate reality and a different version of Diggle existing there.

"It's not resolved," Ramsey said (via The Direct). "Eric [Wallace] called me, showrunner of The Flash, and he had a pitch for me to end the saga, the Green Lantern Saga, within the Arrowverse. And the reason why he did is because the Arrowverse was ending, right? It's gonna end with Flash and all the other shows would go. And we knew, not at the time, I knew but you didn't know yet, that Todd [Helbing] was going to reveal in Superman & Lois that the Superman & Lois-verse, if you will, exists on another planet, on a different Earth, and these characters are still alive. And the idea is perhaps there's a world where we can explore the Flash, or maybe just Barry Allen. Maybe he is Flash, maybe he isn't. Is Oliver Queen alive? Maybe he is. Maybe the ring is still there."

He went on to suggest that the development with Superman & Lois being a separate reality functions, in a sense, as a reboot of the Arrowverse, which allows for the possibility that Diggle's Green Lantern story simply isn't done in that reality.

"It's almost a reboot. Superman & Lois allows us to reboot the Arrowverse in a way that we didn't really think before," Ramsey said. "And when he revealed that, when Todd initially revealed that, there were a lot of moans and groans about 'Oh, we're no longer in the Arrowverse.' But I think it was smart. It was [Greg] Berlanti's brainchild and I think it was smart because it allows us to grow outside of the Arrowverse, which we weren't allowed to do. So, to answer your question is that the ring is still around. It exists in Superman & Lois, it's been denied in the same way it was in the Arrowverse, but [John Diggle] didn't go through the same thing."

I watched this show religiously for years, but lost interest over the past couple of years.  I might need to check this out.

I'm pretty pumped for the last season. I have high hopes for a great sendoff. Even through the ups and downs of different seasons, the show has great characters and as far as I'm concerned Grant Gustin is THE Barry Allen Flash.

Four episodes in and sadly, the final send off so far is woefully bad.

Joe’s character went from inspirational Super Dad to sweatpants lounging chronic pouter. Which is not the Joe West I know.

Hippie Katelyn is an absolute travesty, and the off-screen death of the “real” Katelyn is a thumb in the eye to the character and fans.

The only good thing about Allegra, Chester and Iris is that they are consistently as bad as they always have been. They could replace Chester with a Millennial-Quote-Of-The-Day Calendar on the desk and get more tolerable acting out of it. “I’m sad Allegra won’t talk to me.”, “This isn’t the right time to talk, Allegra! Haven’t you considered my feelings!?!” *punch to the face*

The new villain clearly demonstrates why her other show got cancelled. TJ Hooker had less overacting.

Barry’s power’s inconsistent from show to show.

Season 1 of the Flash had FOUR producers, ensuring the great continuity between episodes and what made it great. There are now SEVENTEEN producers, all of which have proven beyond a doubt that if you add thirteen people to the writer’s room on a show, you can take something great and turn it into a months long poop smear.

I’ll be in it until the end, but boy - what a sad ending to CW’s most fun superhero show. And I really hate railing on TV shows because I try not to be a super nerd, but damn - they have just messed up the Flash in a way that makes the final episodes of Game of Thrones look like theatrical masterpieces.

Edited by Dr. Balls

I stopped watching this show after the five-part Armageddon event at the beginning of season 8...not sure if it's worth watching the rest of season 8 and this final season?

Part of me wants to finish it off to say I watched the entire show, but that's a lot of potentially lost hours... lol

On 3/6/2023 at 12:45 PM, silverseeker said:

I stopped watching this show after the five-part Armageddon event at the beginning of season 8...not sure if it's worth watching the rest of season 8 and this final season?

Part of me wants to finish it off to say I watched the entire show, but that's a lot of potentially lost hours... lol

The Flash has a challenge with not having the budget of competing superhero shows - long ago, it made up for that with well-written and fun characters, but that has really slid over the years. It was easy for me to look past the limits of the production - because, let's face it: not all shows are going to get the big-budget treatment.

But man, I was really hoping that season 8 was going to be a swan song for them. If I was a casual viewer, I'd skip it altogether and read the Wiki article when it finished. But I was a huge Flash fan, so I'm going to stick it out.

I'm still angry Patty Spivot was kicked off the show, she's a much better fit for Barry than Iris - comics be damned. lol

The Flash final season so far:

D84634F0-A38A-4884-B8B4-836A8E87F7D6.gif.4797645bf553c008cdd9f59672bf015f.gif

And to make matters worse, they are skipping every other week until it’s done. Very unfortunate this is how it’s winding down.