• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The most valuable and noteworthy Platinum-Age comics?

67 posts in this topic

On my radar are...

Famous Funnies #3 (1st Buck Rogers in comics)

Tip Top #1 (1st Tarzan in comics - Hal Foster!)

New Comics #2 (1st Federal Men)

Ace #1 (Jungle Jim by Raymond)

Ace #11 (1st Phantom)

New Fun #3 (1st sci-fi cover and letter col)

I find these pre-Gold books really interesting.

Gotta be significant because I have a copy. :D

lf-10.jpeg

I like it :applause:

mickey-mouse-magazine_v3-03.jpg

what issue number???

wow!!!!!!!!

i want to frame the book with this historical newspaper. What better to combine your love of comics and WWII history

thanks sfcityduck :)

V3#3. A nice one just sold on Heritage.

Forgive me if this topic has been covered in another thread (and please refer me to such a thread if it exists): What are the most valuable, noteworthy, interesting, remarkable, rare, unusual, or otherwise discussion-worthy comics from the 1930s era?

It seems a lot of the pre- Action Comics #1 titles don't get much attention, along with the pre- WWII comics. I'd be curious to know more about them and how they fit into the collecting approaches of others here.

Thanks to all for posting their Platinum treasures.

There is another thread with Platinum comics here. Some great comic books there!

Just a few noteworthy comics:

Brainy Bowers and Drowsy Duggan

Buster Brown and His Resolutions - first nationally distributed comic book

Comic Monthly - first regularly published newsstand comic book

Famous Funnies

Funnies on Parade - a scarce "Golden Eagle Toy World" variant shown below

Pore Li'l Mose - first African American hero in comics, and one of the most beautiful color comics ever printed

War in the Midst of America - British fold out comic book produced during the American Civil War(!)

The internet has given us a better picture of the true surviving numbers of many Platinum and Victorian comics. Some are more common than suspected - many of these comics were widely distributed originally. But many are proving rarer than thought.

Currently some real deals to be had among the Platinum era comics - if you can find them (thumbs u ...

147463.jpg.9e6e69246698befb6657d8101330a113.jpg

147464.jpg.11e7e20c8c507e4cb1646d9ec88b491c.jpg

147465.jpg.ebd5872e6011a5500a45cff2369f0ba6.jpg

147466.jpg.b54e99923c883932ea68cb7da5dad04d.jpg

147467.jpg.f53e28194d8fd983eae24c20ab511f54.jpg

Forgive me if this topic has been covered in another thread (and please refer me to such a thread if it exists): What are the most valuable, noteworthy, interesting, remarkable, rare, unusual, or otherwise discussion-worthy comics from the 1930s era?

It seems a lot of the pre- Action Comics #1 titles don't get much attention, along with the pre- WWII comics. I'd be curious to know more about them and how they fit into the collecting approaches of others here.

Thanks to all for posting their Platinum treasures.

There is another thread with Platinum comics here. Some great comic books there!

Just a few noteworthy comics:

Brainy Bowers and Drowsy Duggan

Buster Brown and His Resolutions - first nationally distributed comic book

Comic Monthly - first regularly published newsstand comic book

Famous Funnies

Funnies on Parade - a scarce "Golden Eagle Toy World" variant shown below

Pore Li'l Mose - first African American hero in comics, and one of the most beautiful color comics ever printed

War in the Midst of America - British fold out comic book produced during the American Civil War(!)

The internet has given us a better picture of the true surviving numbers of many Platinum and Victorian comics. Some are more common than suspected - many of these comics were widely distributed originally. But many are proving rarer than thought.

Currently some real deals to be had among the Platinum era comics - if you can find them (thumbs u ...

I think "Mutt and Jeff" should be mentioned since it was the first sequential comic series.

3410482136_3049720f25_o.jpg

This is the kid that started it all!!!!!!!!

In case you are wondering why there is a piece of his missing foot all the way on the other side, I will explain. When I got it, it was not centered. So I moved it to the center and a piece of his foot came off. This thing is extremely fragile. Then I stuck something down there to remove the piece and I somehow got it on the other side and I can't get it out! lol

Damaged or not, there are like 3 different versions of these and this one with the writing on it is the most in demand and the most vaulable.

kid101001_zps762d6b12.jpg

E. W. Kemble's "The Blackberries" appeared in the Sunday newspapers on a regular basis a few years before R. F. Outcault began "Pore Li'l Mose."

This is true, but can you name one of the individual Blackberries? They were a fun group of characters with episodic strips, but Outcault sent Mose on an epic "hero's journey", developing his character over the course of his travels. So while the Blackberries were the first African American comic characters, I'd still maintain that Mose was the first AA comic hero. (thumbs u

By chance, I really like Outcault's Pore Li'l Mose and just published an article on him in the latest issue of Hogan's Alley. However, even there I mentioned it was the Blackberries who paved the way for black cartoon characters. Now I admit that most people couldn't name one of the Blackberries and the focus was on poor black children, but with the frequent combination of wealthy black children.

Because I really like Kemble as well as Outcault and just wrote the article, I might be in somewhat of a unique position to name Billy Millions and Scotty as two of the Blackberries.

My main reason for commenting was that all too often, Pore Li'l Mose is given credit for being the first black character strip and I wanted to make sure that there was no misunderstanding on this board.

Actually, it is somewhat similar to what happened in comic strips in general. Jimmy Swinnerton started publishing The Little Bears in 1892 and ended up with a bunch of them each Sunday. Outcault started with a large cast in Hogan's Alley. It was only after the Yellow Kid's nightshirt went through several color changes and became bright yellow, that he stood out and became the star, while still working within the group setting.

The Yellow Kid pages are earlier ones. I forget exactly when he did it, but after a year or two Outcault added another piece of cloth around the bottom of the YK's nightshirt as he was growing and it is sign of a later strip.

The 36 Sunday pages collected for the book are great, and they are even more attractive than the Sunday tearsheets because of the slick paper and empty backs. Sunday tearsheets used to be fairly common, but so many dealers tore their books apart when they realized they could sell the pages individually and make more money that now there are a lot of loose book pages floating around in the market.

The Yellow Kid pages are earlier ones. I forget exactly when he did it, but after a year or two Outcault added another piece of cloth around the bottom of the YK's nightshirt as he was growing and it is sign of a later strip.

I noticed that most of the Yellow Kid pages I had had the dirty hand print on the front of YK's shirt even when there were words written. Does the hand print mean anything?

Does "hand print" = early?

No hemmed addition, the hand print, a smaller stature, and barely the focal point of the strip equals early. As I recall, even the very first appearance of the Yellow Kid in the newspaper on February 17, 1895, in a small black and white cartoon reprinted from TRUTH magazine, one of several Outcault had drawn for the publication, had a dirty hand print or two.

Also, any Outcault cartoon in Hogan's Alley would be early; i.e., during the first year and a half. After that, Outcault drew the Kid in McFadden's Flats for the Hearst paper and George B. Luks (later to become a fine artist of some renown) continued Hogan's Alley for Pulitzer.

By chance, I really like Outcault's Pore Li'l Mose and just published an article on him in the latest issue of Hogan's Alley. However, even there I mentioned it was the Blackberries who paved the way for black cartoon characters. Now I admit that most people couldn't name one of the Blackberries and the focus was on poor black children, but with the frequent combination of wealthy black children.

Because I really like Kemble as well as Outcault and just wrote the article, I might be in somewhat of a unique position to name Billy Millions and Scotty as two of the Blackberries.

My main reason for commenting was that all too often, Pore Li'l Mose is given credit for being the first black character strip and I wanted to make sure that there was no misunderstanding on this board.

Actually, it is somewhat similar to what happened in comic strips in general. Jimmy Swinnerton started publishing The Little Bears in 1892 and ended up with a bunch of them each Sunday. Outcault started with a large cast in Hogan's Alley. It was only after the Yellow Kid's nightshirt went through several color changes and became bright yellow, that he stood out and became the star, while still working within the group setting.

I always appreciate your posts and greatly value your wanting to provide accurate information! Do you have a link to the issue of Hogan's Alley with your article? I couldn't find it on the site.

I really like Kemble and the Blackberries, too. Here is an original by Kemble...

147527.jpg.c627efcf64d0ca1e57b7b118730070bc.jpg

Mose is a pretty cool book. Absolutely amazing color printing for its day and age.

1275344-mose2.jpg

The color printing really must be seen to be believed. For richness and depth of color, it far surpasses modern, more economical printing methods. Here's another copy...

147528.jpg.a7e908a66d9ae4b72ead4381eb6e8f96.jpg