• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The most valuable and noteworthy Platinum-Age comics?

67 posts in this topic

Forgive me if this topic has been covered in another thread (and please refer me to such a thread if it exists): What are the most valuable, noteworthy, interesting, remarkable, rare, unusual, or otherwise discussion-worthy comics from the 1930s era?

It seems a lot of the pre- Action Comics #1 titles don't get much attention, along with the pre- WWII comics. I'd be curious to know more about them and how they fit into the collecting approaches of others here.

Why Obadiah Oldbuck, of course!

Honestly, I don't know the answer. My impression is that despite Overstreet's trying to gin up a little interest by adding a Platinum Age section to the guide some years back, collector enthusiasm for PA books is pretty limited.

I assume here you are talking about pre-1935 comics and not very early DC books.

Edited to add: Maybe you are referring to pre-Action 1 DCs and the like. hm

Edited by Sqeggs

I assume here you are talking about pre-1935 comics and not very early DC books.

I am thinking of anything before Action Comics #1 changed things. But more I mean the 1930s overall -- from the first comic books onward.

I have several books about the history of comics, and I should probably re-read them (it's been a while), but I am curious to hear perspectives on them from the experts here. I realize the market is pretty limited or at least much more refined.

What about "The Adventures of Mickey Mouse"? That came out in 1931 and had a small print run (50,000) which probably very very few survived in high grade. Mickey to this day is still beloved by millions so I would think there would be demand for it as well. Probably Yellow Kid 1 would also be included.

Tec 1

New Fun 1

New Comics 1

Funnies on Parade

Famous Funnies a Carnival of Comics

Century of Comics

More Fun Comics #14

Famous Funnies Series 1 #1

Famous Funnies #1

These are my top choices for most significant pre-Action 1 comics

Tec 1

New Fun 1

New Comics 1

Funnies on Parade

Century of Comics

More Fun Comics #14

Famous Funnies #1

Great list! I have been looking these up. I didn't realize that More Fun Comics #14 contains the prototype for Superman!

The prices on these are astoundingly low compared to the superhero stuff a couple years later.

147335.jpg.245a31de44157fb18a20d8da7cd0b5dd.jpg

Tec 1

New Fun 1

New Comics 1

Funnies on Parade

Century of Comics

More Fun Comics #14

Famous Funnies #1

Great list! I have been looking these up. I didn't realize that More Fun Comics #14 contains the prototype for Superman!

147335.jpg

The prices on these are astoundingly low compared to the superhero stuff a couple years later.

I wish I had all nine

In the 1960's, Collectors Bookstore had a NM/M copy of Tec 1 in their showcase for $50 and couldn't sell it. Finally they convinced a regular Disney customer to buy it. He ultimately sold it on the floor at the SDCC years later.

They had an equally fine run of More Fun Comics from about #20-#50 they couldn't sell so ultimately put it in their monthly auctions in groups of five books. I wanted both of these items in the worst way but was in grad school and didn't have an extra penny.

What about "The Adventures of Mickey Mouse"? That came out in 1931 and had a small print run (50,000) which probably very very few survived in high grade. Mickey to this day is still beloved by millions so I would think there would be demand for it as well. Probably Yellow Kid 1 would also be included.

2889208496_1b3daf518d_o.jpg

Do you mean this one. Ducks on the back I think.

Tec 1

New Fun 1

New Comics 1

Funnies on Parade

Century of Comics

More Fun Comics #14

Famous Funnies #1

These are my top choices for most significant pre-Action 1 comics

I'd probably add Western Picture Stories #1 to the mix. It's the first western comic. I think it's pretty significant considering the amount of western comics that were made from the 1930's-1950's.

What do you think?