• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The most valuable and noteworthy Platinum-Age comics?

67 posts in this topic

On my radar are...

Famous Funnies #3 (1st Buck Rogers in comics)

Tip Top #1 (1st Tarzan in comics - Hal Foster!)

New Comics #2 (1st Federal Men)

Ace #1 (Jungle Jim by Raymond)

Ace #11 (1st Phantom)

New Fun #3 (1st sci-fi cover and letter col)

I find these pre-Gold books really interesting.

What about "The Adventures of Mickey Mouse"? That came out in 1931 and had a small print run (50,000) which probably very very few survived in high grade. Mickey to this day is still beloved by millions so I would think there would be demand for it as well. Probably Yellow Kid 1 would also be included.

2889208496_1b3daf518d_o.jpg

Do you mean this one. Ducks on the back I think.

That's the back cover. FC is Mickey and Minnie

paradisecomics.com-10038-31.jpg

Sadly this is not mine :(

These comics were the Funnies before Funnies on parade. There were 36 issues of these and this is the only one I have ever seen for sale since I have been collecting rare comics since 1991.

Funnies1930001_zpsa31cb208.jpg

Tec 1

New Fun 1

New Comics 1

Funnies on Parade

Famous Funnies a Carnival of Comics

Century of Comics

More Fun Comics #14

Famous Funnies Series 1 #1

Famous Funnies #1

These are my top choices for most significant pre-Action 1 comics

I'd probably add Western Picture Stories #1 to the mix. It's the first western comic. I think it's pretty significant considering the amount of western comics that were made from the 1930's-1950's.

What do you think?

Star Ranger and WPS were tied for first comic devoted to Westerns.

Tec 1

New Fun 1

New Comics 1

Funnies on Parade

Famous Funnies a Carnival of Comics

Century of Comics

More Fun Comics #14

Famous Funnies Series 1 #1

Famous Funnies #1

These are my top choices for most significant pre-Action 1 comics

I'd probably add Western Picture Stories #1 to the mix. It's the first western comic. I think it's pretty significant considering the amount of western comics that were made from the 1930's-1950's.

What do you think?

That's a good choice West. And it rounds the list out to 10 :)

It took me 20 years to find a copy of WPS #1, so it is quite scarce as well

These comics were the Funnies before Funnies on parade. There were 36 issues of these and this is the only one I have ever seen for sale since I have been collecting rare comics since 1991.

Yeah, those are historically VERY cool. I'm sorry to hear they're THAT rare, as I'd like to pick an example up sooner or later.

Along this line, question for you Platinum collectors... Where are all the Gulf Oil Funnies...? A huge run (400+ issues), and supposedly had huge print runs. And it's not like they are outrageously early compared to some of the other stuff mentioned here (1933 - 1941 or so I think).

I'm new to this area of interest, so maybe I'm off base, but on the face of it, it's the kind of thing you'd expect to see relatively frequently. Or maybe I haven't been watching for 'em long enough.

In the 1960's, Collectors Bookstore had a NM/M copy of Tec 1 in their showcase for $50 and couldn't sell it. Finally they convinced a regular Disney customer to buy it. He ultimately sold it on the floor at the SDCC years later.

They had an equally fine run of More Fun Comics from about #20-#50 they couldn't sell so ultimately put it in their monthly auctions in groups of five books. I wanted both of these items in the worst way but was in grad school and didn't have an extra penny.

I'm crying thinking about those lost opportunities!!

Yeah, those are historically VERY cool. I'm sorry to hear they're THAT rare, as I'd like to pick an example up sooner or later.

Along this line, question for you Platinum collectors... Where are all the Gulf Oil Funnies...? A huge run (400+ issues), and supposedly had huge print runs. And it's not like they are outrageously early compared to some of the other stuff mentioned here (1933 - 1941 or so I think).

I'm new to this area of interest, so maybe I'm off base, but on the face of it, it's the kind of thing you'd expect to see relatively frequently. Or maybe I haven't been watching for 'em long enough.

Weren't those newspaper type magazines? I would suspect the low quality newsprint without a cover is responsible for their lack of availability. You are correct in that you rarely if ever see them. There's bound to be a collection out there somewhere.

Weren't those newspaper type magazines? I would suspect the low quality newsprint without a cover is responsible for their lack of availability. You are correct in that you rarely if ever see them. There's bound to be a collection out there somewhere.

I wonder about that too, and yet low-quality newsprint-interior/newsprint-cover stuff like the late-era nickel/dime weekly story papers circa 1900-1930 don't seem all that tough by comparison.

Although, hm, some of that stuff is smaller, which probably makes it somewhat less likely to get torn up. hm So maybe you're right.

I have a vague recollection of an Australian dealer listing a complete run of those on eBay many moons ago.

On my radar are...

Famous Funnies #3 (1st Buck Rogers in comics)

Tip Top #1 (1st Tarzan in comics - Hal Foster!)

New Comics #2 (1st Federal Men)

Ace #1 (Jungle Jim by Raymond)

Ace #11 (1st Phantom)

New Fun #3 (1st sci-fi cover and letter col)

I find these pre-Gold books really interesting.

Gotta be significant because I have a copy. :D

lf-10.jpeg