• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBAY: BLOCKED USER LIST
54 54

8,579 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, Mapleleafvann said:

$150 is a good number....I use a total max of $200 currently.  These stories about eBay and the scammers truly terrify me.  These turds have even figured out how maintain 100% rating while ripping other people off....incredible....

I sold a $2k book on a .99 cent auction. I was FOR SURE the transaction would be canceled/returned/etc.

Nope. Smooth sailing

18 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

:fear:i can't even imagine risking shipping anything worth remotely anything to the Phillippines......:fear:

eBay customer service is in the Philippines.

They are nice people, but I think they’re just there to deflect complaints so corporate never has to deal with them.

13 minutes ago, wormboy said:

eBay customer service is in the Philippines.

They are nice people, but I think they’re just there to deflect complaints so corporate never has to deal with them.

Thank you ,.. luckily i have never had to deal with eBay customer service  so far with about 1000 transactions , but as mentioned before , pretty much nothing with a value over $150

and i won't ship outside the USA

2 hours ago, wormboy said:

My first post in this thread. I've had plenty of other eBay mishaps, but this is the first one that got me mad enough to post.

Cliff Notes:

1. Hit the BIN on a Star Wars Treasury #2 Double Cover. $89.99.

SUPER excited to own it, as I collect Marvel treasuries and double covers, and had never seen one before.

2. Include a note with payment asking seller to package the book with care, as treasuries are notoriously easy to damage.

He replies that he will indeed package properly.

3. Receive the package.

Box smashed, sealed with masking tape, barely any packaging material (no bubble wrap, literally a dozen packing peanuts floating around the box.

LRC smashed (wasn't smashed in the pics). Color breaking crease. He says the USPS opened it and took out packaging material.

IMG_2767.thumb.jpg.3f7671ee956faa1fddcd3fa972634019.jpg

4. I Message the seller telling him what happened.

As my fellow treasury collectors in the 'Bronze Age Treasuries' thread reminded me, this is a rare book, and I should keep it even though it's damaged, which is true, but I'm a condition freak, and I'm just bummed out in general, and I don't want it anymore.

5. Seller tells me to ship it back and he will refund.

So I package it up (properly: with cardboard, bubble wrap and tons of peanuts) and mail it back.

6. Get a message from eBay: "Seller has asked us to step in and help with Star Wars #2 Double Cover Error"

This :censored: claimed I stole the outer cover and only sent back the inside book. He explains that the covers on these books were glued on during this Marvel era (true), and the second cover wasn't glued on, so I kept the outer cover (lie), making the book worthless, so I shouldn't receive a refund.

"The book sent to the buyer was a rare error edition that included a second double cover . This cover was never stitch attatched as Marvel was using the glue on process for the square bound comics in that era, rather than staples. The item has been returned but without the second cover that was originally a part of it, which now makes the book no longer unique, and which was the original reason I had bought it on Ebay. The package was searched to see if the second cover was in a seperated compartment, but it was not. A double cover cannot be replaced or duplicated, and without it, the book is worth significantly less and is considered to be incomplete and ungradable from both a collector s and a professional s standpoint." 

7. I lose it, and begin sending emails to eBay and to the seller, with some, no many, choice words about his moral character, etc. 

Since I read the eBay message late at night, I was so fired up I couldn't sleep, and began sending dozens of emails to both email addresses I had. All night.

8. eBay sends me a message stating they've closed the case - no refund - take it up with PayPal.

Now I'm just beside myself. I look up the address I have for seller on Google Earth, zoom in on the front of the house, take a pic, send it to him and tell him I'm on my way over lol

9. Get a message from PayPal, "You've received a refund".

10. Seller lists the book today, with both covers, at 3x what I paid.

5a18b35c40945_SWDC.thumb.png.1d525a6317fd57daa7fa0da283de5b28.png

Beware!

You should call eBay security and show them the messages where he lied and his listing.

I think I'd skip the google earth stuff;) don't send that...

I wish I had known about this before, I have ebay mail from him where he says he got it back and was relisting at a higher price to "cover the outrageous postage".

12 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

You should call eBay security and show them the messages where he lied and his listing.

I wish I had known about this before, I have ebay mail from him where he says he got it back and was relisting at a higher price to "cover the outrageous postage".

He already did send that. I have to imagine doing something like that could be actionable?

6 minutes ago, Logan510 said:
18 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

He already did send that. I have to imagine doing something like that could be actionable?

I think she is referring to don't send that information to eBay. Currently only the dbag seller has received it.

2 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

I think she is referring to don't send that information to eBay. Currently only the dbag seller has received it.

Yes, I meant to just report his lie to eBay, not to include the google earth thing.

I started to make a joke about disguising my house for google earth, and I had added a :fear:but I wasn't sure it would be understood that it was a joke;)

I'd be pretty upset if I were Wormboy.

I found the message from eBay, I made an error, he didn't actually say he got the book back, I got that because I saw the listing, he just said it was in the mail. 

I sent this after Wormboy said he was returning it.

Star Wars Treasury double cover.
Hi, I understand that the buyer of the double cover Star Wars Treasury returned it because there was some damage. 
He had posted about it in a thread on our chatboard.
If you relist it, would you please let me know? I don't mind some damage if the price is lowered accordingly.
Thank you:)
Sharon

New message from: eye-of-omac (350Turquoise Star)

Hi and thanks so much for the interest!!!!!!!
This book will be listed again. However, I still haven't received it back yet, and according to the buyer, the outer cover received a, " 1/42 inch ding to the bottom right corner of the outer cover in shipping". This is very minor damage if present, and won't effect actual grade since it isn't on the inner cover. It sold originally within 2 hours of being listed and I had already received 4 offers. I am also $14 in the hole from shipping to and fro. That being said, and since it is one of a kind, unfortunately, I don't believe I will be reducing the price. Thanks for the interest though.
Thanks

From me 

I understand and that's fine. However, you might want to look at it before listing it again, I saw pictures and the crease was pretty noticeable. Books are graded on both covers.

eye-of-omac:

Books are most definitely graded on both covers, but CGC uses the better of the 2. I will most definitely inspect the books, but as stated if anything, I will be raising the price by at least $20 to offset the original shipping, and then the brutal return costs, and then the cost to ship it again, this time insured.
Again thanks so much for your interest, and sorry we agree to terms of sale.

I'm not sure how he got to "terms of sale",    I also told him after this last message, that CGC does not slab Treasury size books, but by them I was glad to stop writing;) I realized I was putting him on my own blocked list;)

He also said "brutal return costs" not outrageous postage.

Edited by skypinkblu

51 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Yes, I meant to just report his lie to eBay, not to include the google earth thing.

I started to make a joke about disguising my house for google earth, and I had added a :fear:but I wasn't sure it would be understood that it was a joke;)

I'd be pretty upset if I were Wormboy.

I found the message from eBay, I made an error, he didn't actually say he got the book back, I got that because I saw the listing, he just said it was in the mail. 

I sent this after Wormboy said he was returning it.

Star Wars Treasury double cover.
Hi, I understand that the buyer of the double cover Star Wars Treasury returned it because there was some damage. 
He had posted about it in a thread on our chatboard.
If you relist it, would you please let me know? I don't mind some damage if the price is lowered accordingly.
Thank you:)
Sharon

New message from: eye-of-omac (350Turquoise Star)

Hi and thanks so much for the interest!!!!!!!
This book will be listed again. However, I still haven't received it back yet, and according to the buyer, the outer cover received a, " 1/42 inch ding to the bottom right corner of the outer cover in shipping". This is very minor damage if present, and won't effect actual grade since it isn't on the inner cover. It sold originally within 2 hours of being listed and I had already received 4 offers. I am also $14 in the hole from shipping to and fro. That being said, and since it is one of a kind, unfortunately, I don't believe I will be reducing the price. Thanks for the interest though.
Thanks

From me 

I understand and that's fine. However, you might want to look at it before listing it again, I saw pictures and the crease was pretty noticeable. Books are graded on both covers.

eye-of-omac:

Books are most definitely graded on both covers, but CGC uses the better of the 2. I will most definitely inspect the books, but as stated if anything, I will be raising the price by at least $20 to offset the original shipping, and then the brutal return costs, and then the cost to ship it again, this time insured.
Again thanks so much for your interest, and sorry we agree to terms of sale.

I'm not sure how he got to "terms of sale",    I also told him after this last message, that CGC does not slab Treasury size books, but by them I was glad to stop writing;) I realized I was putting him on my own blocked list;)

He also said "brutal return costs" not outrageous postage.

No doubt what the seller did was wrong, no denying that.

I'll just say I would never send a picture of someone's home I found to them and tell them I was on my way. 2c

This whole Treasury edition / google scenario got me to thinking ...

Sometimes people get taken for 1000s of dollars. Has anyone ever taken a trip to confront the thief in an effort to retrieve their money?