• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBAY: BLOCKED USER LIST
54 54

8,586 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Mapleleafvann said:

Well, eBay seems like more of a battleground these days since buyers can do whatever they want with very little consequence.  Lots of people have moved or are moving more of their books onto Facebook and Instagram.  I am really thinking about it myself...

Same here!! I was hesitant to sell though Facebook, because I didn;t know how manageable or secure it was to use FB for selling, but I am thinking more and more of using it these days.

I've just started selling again for the first time in a little over 20 years.  Sold one item without issue, but the second situation is similar to Matt's.

Buyer with an ebay account in Europe and a Paypal account in the US wants me to ship the item to the Middle East.  Was quick to respond to emails several times, but now that he has an opportunity to cancel the transaction as agreed there's a delay.  I'll give it a another try or two, but ebay doesn't look worth the effort to me.  I sold hundreds of comics (at least) on Usenet without a problem, and that was pre-Paypal to expedite things.  Catering to the lowest common denominator generally isn't a positive.

10 hours ago, Squeezy McSphincter said:

I've just started selling again for the first time in a little over 20 years.  Sold one item without issue, but the second situation is similar to Matt's.

Buyer with an ebay account in Europe and a Paypal account in the US wants me to ship the item to the Middle East.  Was quick to respond to emails several times, but now that he has an opportunity to cancel the transaction as agreed there's a delay.  I'll give it a another try or two, but ebay doesn't look worth the effort to me.  I sold hundreds of comics (at least) on Usenet without a problem, and that was pre-Paypal to expedite things.  Catering to the lowest common denominator generally isn't a positive.

based on what you wrote-- it sounds like you could put a little more effort into how you set up your seller account. You can avoid the whole "lives in europe, wants it sent to the middle east" thing by limiting where you will sell an item. I read so many horror stories about foreign transactions and the overall problems involved with high shipping costs that I decided early on to limit my selling area to what I was comfortable with-- mainly just USA addresses. I further excluded other things as time went on like APO and in some cases PO Boxes. It may have limited my sales area but I have almost no problems with any buyers as a result.

Not a fan of the global shipping program at all--- also have that turned off.

I look at it this way-- the thing that takes the longest time to do its setting up the item offer. It doesn't cost you anything to keep relisting something until it sells. So I use ebay to list items that I don't have to sell immediately or care if I need to keep listing them for months on end. Simple enough to just relist an item-- maybe change the pricing a bit (up or down), tweak the pictures/description, perhaps enhance the title. Or just straight up relist. I NEVER use the or Best offer unless the item is something really unwanted that I would be willing to let go at anything resembling a reasonable offer (i.e. worth my time to package it).

Ebay can be a nifty way to sell some stuff occasionally and you can turn around and use that cash for some new books you want. It doesn't have to be looked at like some full time gig.

UPDATE! I did file a non-payer case, and fully expected the bidder to ignore it based on some of the feedback left for him that I read, but he did come through! I just hope he isn't retaliatory because I opened a non-paying bidder case. Honestly, though, as I mentioned in my first post on this matter, he has never left anyone a negative before. I am sure he has had other cases opened against him, since there were those other sellers that said he was a non-payer in the feedback. Hopefully, from hereon things will go smoothly and he and I can end this deal in a satisfactory manner.

5 minutes ago, MattHawes said:

UPDATE! I did file a non-payer case, and fully expected the bidder to ignore it based on some of the feedback left for him that I read, but he did come through! I just hope he isn't retaliatory because I opened a non-paying bidder case. Honestly, though, as I mentioned in my first post on this matter, he has never left anyone a negative before. I am sure he has had other cases opened against him, since there were those other sellers that said he was a non-payer in the feedback. Hopefully, from hereon things will go smoothly and he and I can end this deal in a satisfactory manner.

Wish you luck---hope it ends well!

12 minutes ago, MattHawes said:

One thing I would add in reference to this sale, based on what you wrote initially, is that you might need to take your expectations of payment down a notch. It seemed that you got upset that they didn't pay for the item immediately based on putting in a last second bid. That bid was most likely a snipe bid-- and the buyer might not even have been watching the seconds tick away.

Someone a long time ago reminded me that ebay or any form of comic sales are not as important as other things in our lives. Better to chill out regarding payment times and let them get back to you when they can. It can turn ugly fast otherwise.

The non-paying buyer case should not be something you do manually imo. You can set that up to let ebay handle it automatically after X number of days (the default is 4 days). I don't think you can file any sooner than that regardless of method.

It might not be an awesome experience waiting for a buyer to complete a sale but it is completely within the realm of reasonable based on Ebay's terms and conditions. I get a kick out of sellers who try to enforce some "payment is due with 48 hours of sale" or some other nonsense. It is about as useful as trying to say you do not offer returns (always offer them-- you won't win if the buyer decides to return anyway-- all they have to say is it wasn't as described).

Bottom line-- if someone is a hassle to deal with-- definitely block them at will. But up until you have that sale/return completed, give excellent customer service. It can go badly otherwise (sending you back newspapers or some beat up copy or ruining the item they return--- and ten giving you negative just because they are spiteful individual_without_enough_empathys).

I understand you probably have much more experience selling comics than I do but this is just my take from reading tons of messages on ebay about how to handle difficult customers.

Edited by 01TheDude

1 hour ago, MattHawes said:

It seems like I open a non-payment case every time I do a mass auction. They either pay or they don't. I haven't gotten any retaliation. If anything, they come back for more because other sellers are tired of their B.S. 

2 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

One thing I would add in reference to this sale, based on what you wrote initially, is that you might need to take your expectations of payment down a notch. It seemed that you got upset that they didn't pay for the item immediately based on putting in a last second bid. That bid was most likely a snipe bid-- and the buyer might not even have been watching the seconds tick away.

Agreed. I've let mid level books go unpaid for at least a several days.

*as both buyer and seller

Edited by TheFifthHorseman

3 hours ago, MattHawes said:

Speaking for myself, I've sold sk8inkid863 a low grade x-men 1 a couple of years ago, don't remember how long it took him to pay, but he paid.  Nothing stands out as suspect in my dealings with him.  I'll usually give someone 5-7 days to pay before dropping them a note. 

3 hours ago, MustEatBrains said:

Speaking for myself, I've sold sk8inkid863 a low grade x-men 1 a couple of years ago, don't remember how long it took him to pay, but he paid.  Nothing stands out as suspect in my dealings with him.  I'll usually give someone 5-7 days to pay before dropping them a note. 

Even on a "Best Offer Accepted" deal?  If so, that's very generous of you---

I have been selling on eBay since 1999 and I have to be honest some of you guys as sellers put yourselves in these situations by not setting your eBay settings properly or just plain old common sense. I have had maybe 2-3 terrible transactions and I have done prob 10,000 sales. 

As much as feeBay can annoys me they still get me GPA highs on all CGC books from 1975-now over everyone else.  They just do.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

15 hours ago, NewWorldOrder said:

I have been selling on eBay since 1999 and I have to be honest some of you guys as sellers put yourselves in these situations by not setting your eBay settings properly or just plain old common sense. I have had maybe 2-3 terrible transactions and I have done prob 10,000 sales. 

As much as feeBay can annoys me they still get me GPA highs on all CGC books from 1975-now over everyone else.  They just do.

:preach:

dankydaniels

Another bum, who after making several bids on and winning a book claimed he had a "financial situation" and asked to cancel his order soon after winning.

Time waster