• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBAY: BLOCKED USER LIST
54 54

8,586 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Logan510 said:

dankydaniels

Another bum, who after making several bids on and winning a book claimed he had a "financial situation" and asked to cancel his order soon after winning.

Time waster

That dude has a situation all right....not sure if it's financial or not though.  Great post---sorry for your headache, but the way you started it off with, "another bum", had me in stitches....!

An update:

I don't know if it was the result of opening a non-paying bidder case, or whether the buyer always was intending to pay on the date he did, but the payment did come through. Also, the buyer left me positive feedback, so the transaction in fully completed and overall went well.

Honestly, the only reason I opened the non-paying bidder case as soon as I did (a day later than when I was first able to do so) is that the buyer's feedback was disconcerting. If the book had been a few bucks, I wouldn't have sweated it so much. Admittedly, when we are talking about a book that fetched a few thousand bucks, I get a bit more concerned when I see other sellers leaving comments about how the buyer failed to pay on their transactions.

NewWorldOrder wrote: "... I have been selling on eBay since 1999 and I have to be honest some of you guys as sellers put yourselves in these situations by not setting your eBay settings properly or just plain old common sense. I have had maybe 2-3 terrible transactions and I have done prob 10,000 sales. .."

Firstly, I have seen people in this thread tout how long they have been on eBay to others like myself, as if I haven't been using eBay for as long as they have. For instance, I have been on eBay every bit as long as NewWorldOrder. Now, I agree with one thing: I (inadvertently) put myself in my last situation because I hadn't double-check my settings and realized that my block on bidders who had strikes on their account was only set to a one month period.  I did, however, have a block in place, it was the specifics that weren't attributed properly as I would have had them set.

Now, as for common sense, in my situation I did use common sense, as much as it could be applied.

I have done more sales than my feedback ratings suggest (as we all likely know, a good number of people don't leave feedback of any kind), and I, too, would say I've only had a few terrible transactions. The key word is "terrible." I don't see how you can be a seller anywhere (online, or at a shop -- I owned and operated my own shop for 18 years) and not had to deal with the occasional headache from a buyer. Maybe not a "terrible" thing, but the law of averages suggests that at some point there's going to be some issue with a buyer. If you can go nearly 20 years and 10,000 transactions and never hardly dealt with some annoyance with getting paid, or shipping, or any other trouble with a transaction, then you are truly blessed and I envy you that. But, people being people, and bad sorts being bad sorts, yes, even sellers who use plain old common sense, and even having their settings properly set can run up against a buyer who causes them headache, grief, and even loses them money.

So, in my particular recent situation, I stand by what I did and why I did it. I am happy the buyer came through, naturally, and he might be a great guy. I am certainly appreciative for his business, but I think most people understand how something like the negative "positive" feedback he received from several sellers might be reason for concern that I might have been facing a similar issue. Thankfully, my transaction ended well with him, though.

vegetto83

Another in a recent string of non paying bidders. Waited 4 days after he won auction to ask if he was planning on paying, told me he was going to pay the next day. 2 days later still hadn't paid and no response to another gentle reminder I sent. Opened case...waited..closed case. Rinse & repeat it seems lately.

2 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

vegetto83

Another in a recent string of non paying bidders. Waited 4 days after he won auction to ask if he was planning on paying, told me he was going to pay the next day. 2 days later still hadn't paid and no response to another gentle reminder I sent. Opened case...waited..closed case. Rinse & repeat it seems lately.

'vegettaboutit

They made an offer and had second thoughts and/or didn't understand what they were doing and back out (hard to say).

Not saying you are wrong to avoid or block them-- but that it had no impact on you if you never accepted the offer. Your item did not require being relisted.

That is not against ebay rules. Had they retracted an auction bid-- that would be considered worse than simply retracting an offer.

10 minutes ago, MadripoorNights said:

I believe it is against eBay rules to renege on an offer.

Capture.JPG

but they have "edit offer" right next to it, which allows you to "retract offer". You only get a few of those within a limited amount of time, but it is understandable, as the offer can sit 2 days without a response.... a lot can happen in 2 days. They discourage it so they limit it, but it can be done. Why the person contacted you to cancel the offer remains unidentified. 

1 minute ago, mattn792 said:

I, for one, fully support spite blocking of bidders as I've partaken in it on occasion.

I agree lol 

I didn't say it was right.... but that it was allowed by ebay :) 

This guy sounds like fun...

avoidlikeplague

Made on offer on a friend's auction.  My buddy accepted.   Guy immediately messages back saying he didn't think he (seller) would accept and asked to have transaction cancelled.

What is the point of this behaviour? Sellers be warned, time waster.

1 hour ago, Wall-Crawler said:

This guy sounds like fun...

avoidlikeplague

Made on offer on a friend's auction.  My buddy accepted.   Guy immediately messages back saying he didn't think he (seller) would accept and asked to have transaction cancelled.

What is the point of this behaviour? Sellers be warned, time waster.

I had one with a goofy name like that early on in my ebay adventures-- though sadly I wasn't lucky enough to field an offer-- they won an auction. Hard to forget someone who changed his named right before he submitted a bid to-- I kid you not-- "nonpayingjoker". I immediately cancelled the sale-- and they still were able to make a negative feedback and ebay would not remove it. Learned how to deal with them going forward after that but I almost quit ebay over it.

Edited by 01TheDude

Looking for feedback about...well...feedback.

I bought an item as a Buy It Now...around $300.  Paid right away.  2 days later, I get a message saying "I'm sorry.  This item is no longer in our inventory.  Please submit a cancellation request and we'll refund your money". 

This is a high-volume seller with hundreds of sales a month.  99.1% positive feedback, but they do have quite a few neutral/negatives from the past month, some with this same issue I'm having. 

What would you do in this situation?  Submit a cancellation request and get the money back?  This may deny me the ability to leave feedback at all...not really sure.  Leave a neutral?  Leave a negative? 

Comments are appreciated.  Thanks!