• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBAY: BLOCKED USER LIST
54 54

8,583 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
3 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I mean really. He didn't have one person see it his way or agree with his treatment of this seller. I'd bow out kav, no one else needs convincing. :foryou:

Is there a reason you're needlessly stoking conflict? Have I done something to offend you personally...?

I didn't have "one person" see it my way...? First, only one person has made a legitimate reply, and that person...that would be Turtle...posted this:

5 hours ago, Turtle said:

I'm certainly not taking the side of the seller.  In my mind, you're right.

5 hours ago, Turtle said:

And you're not wrong.  Pressing does have value.  Your time does have value.  The seller did agree to your proposal.  And I'll give you that it does take more than 5 minutes to inspect 20 comics in this situation.  All given.

Given that, do you think your characterization here is a fair, even-handed one...?

If I have done something to you personally that has offended you, I would be more than willing to work it out, if that's possible. Otherwise...why go out of your way to create enemies...?

You're new, so you're not familiar with kav and his antics, but I might suggest doing a little research before getting into bed with folks like him

I think many of us just struggle with the fact that a buyer/seller of your status would allow yourself to get into this type of headache in the first place.
Just send the books back. Re-negotiating with the seller at any level causes the seller to pause when dealing with the buyer.

When a buyer tells me straight out he wants a return I know either I missed something, it got damaged, or in the buyer's mind he really thinks I undergraded.
Nothing wrong with that it does happen.

When the buyer tells me they want a return, but instead of returning them offers an alternative scenario (like yours) it changes the equation.
In the later I just tell the buyer to send them back no matter what. Why continue to compound the seller's mistake? Or make your life more 
difficult then it needed to be.

On the seller's part if he has been in business that long is it really that hard to grade each copy? He created part of this problem, but
just not simply doing that. Wouldn't that have changed your viewpoint of the auctions as well?

23 hours ago, Turtle said:

I'd say I'd agree with the strong majority of the subjects you post here on the boards, but if I'm being honest, I had a hard time reading this one. 

As I was reading, I started putting myself in the seller's shoes and I asked myself what I would do in this situation.  Below are some thoughts that went through my head while reading:

"He received the box and waited 3 weeks to open it!?  He's too busy to carve out 5 minutes over the course of 20+ days to inspect the contents of a box he ordered?  :eyeroll:  Seems like a bit of a red flag, but he's still within my generous return policy window, so I'll refund him if it gets that far."

"He says he's not happy with the condition of the books, but is suggesting a convoluted plan by which he's going to press them and grade them, sticking me with the cost of anything that doesn't grade out to his liking?  Big red flag.  Hard pass.  I don't even offer partial refunds, so this nonsense certainly isn't going to fly.  I'll just offer him a refund and my apologies for the inconvenience."

"So he lays out a detailed plan to try to save the situation and he tells me that I will have to pay for grading and shipping.  Ok fine.  Hang on...now he's tacking on pressing?  Why didn't he say that up front?  If I agree to that, will he hit me with a handling charge next?"

"Wait...so he wasn't pleased with one batch of books but then didn't think to look at the other boxes of books that I sent him until after the window for returns has passed?  And he's winning more of my auctions in the meantime?  Am I getting scammed?  What's this guy's angle?"

Look, I understand that there are explanations for your actions.  You've even mentioned a few in your original post (travelling, sucker for a gamble, etc.).  However, none of this changes the fact that as soon as you weren't satisfied with the books you received, you should have initiated the refund process.  This doesn't fall completely on you, though.  The seller should have turned down your offer and just suggested a full refund.  Apparently he's a sucker for a gamble too. 

Based on what was written, I don't think that this guy is out to scam you.  Is he at least a little negligent for missing torn out pages or describing comics as "NICE!" in his descriptions?  Probably.  And his rust removal process doesn't cast him in a great light.  But I could easily see someone posting in this thread the reverse of this situation.

I sent a buyer a few boxes of books.  THREE WEEKS after he received them, he tells me he's not happy with them, but instead of a refund, he wants them pressed and graded on my dime.  AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

Look at this same situation from the seller's perspective, keeping in mind that he only has the information you've told him.  From his perspective, it may seem a bit like you're trying to pull a fast one on him.  Anyone who knows you via these boards knows that's not the case, but he doesn't know that. 

All I'm saying is that mistakes were made on both sides.  Given your knowledge of eBay's systems and the fact that you're the buyer in this situation, I'm willing to wager that eBay will ultimately side in your favor.  I'm just not sure that your post, as-written, is exactly fair to the seller as it removes your responsibility from the equation.  Take this experience as a lesson and remember it the next time you get an item that isn't as it was described on ebay

I agree 100% with Turtle.  That post did the exact opposite effect you might be hoping for and I'll have to message the seller so that I can get your ID to block and not worry about the seller and his clear rules that you want to change.

Hi Ebay experts.  I just wanted to know if this is definitely shilled.  It looks like a bidder with 0 feedback bid the item up to $1,201 and in the last 30 days has only bid on this seller's items.  Could this just be a coincidence ?

Screen Shot 2018-04-20 at 09.27.28.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-20 at 09.27.42.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-20 at 09.28.19.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-20 at 09.28.36.png

5 minutes ago, Max Carnage said:

Hi Ebay experts.  I just wanted to know if this is definitely shilled.  It looks like a bidder with 0 feedback bid the item up to $1,201 and in the last 30 days has only bid on this seller's items.  Could this just be a coincidence ?

Just the fact that same account is bidding solely with this seller across all their categories I would say its definitely shilling.

8 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Just the fact that same account is bidding solely with this seller across all their categories I would say its definitely shilling.

What should I do ?  Report to Ebay or will they care ?

Just now, mattn792 said:

I agree, though I'm surprised dude doesn't have any bid retractions. 

I suspect he just uses it to get it to a reserve he's happy with.  Is there an extra cost for setting a reserve ?

Just now, mattn792 said:

I agree, though I'm surprised dude doesn't have any bid retractions. 

I noticed that too.  Usually shill accounts have a ton of bid retractions because they're trying to get a feel for the max bid.  Its either a very loyal and timid buyer or a shill account!

What should I do ?  Report to Ebay or will they care ?

Report it to eBay

Will they care? Probably not. But it doesn't hurt to do what you can. 2c

I suspect he just uses it to get it to a reserve he's happy with.  Is there an extra cost for setting a reserve ?

Yes. There is a huge cost for setting a reserve, actually. 

Worse yet, if the item doesn't sell, you're still on the hook for the reserve charges. 

Edited by newshane

1 minute ago, Max Carnage said:

Thanks Shane - should I neg him as well ?

Perhaps. 

I wouldn't, simply because it's almost impossible to actually prove that it was a shill. 

I can't STAND shill bidding. So aggravating. But it's one of the many things you have to deal with when navigating the mine field known as eBay

2 hours ago, Red_Hood said:

I agree 100% with Turtle.  That post did the exact opposite effect you might be hoping for and I'll have to message the seller so that I can get your ID to block and not worry about the seller and his clear rules that you want to change.

I am "comic-sutra". I suspect that not everyone is of the same opinion as you, but you've had a consistent pattern of disagreeing with my perspectives and the perspectives of those I respect, so this should come as no surprise to anyone paying attention. How do you know what I was "hoping for"...?

Do you agree 100% with Turtle's follow-up comments...? That determines your level of intellectual honesty.

After all...you DID tell the entire CGC message board back in November of 2016 that anyone who disagreed with you on the hot-button topic of that month that they were...how did you put it...? "Effing idiots", among other things...but you didn't use the word "effing", but the word it represents. It was quite the furious rant, for which you got a well-deserved strike.

What is your eBay user id?

16 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I think many of us just struggle with the fact that a buyer/seller of your status would allow yourself to get into this type of headache in the first place.

This was all addressed in subsequent dialogue between Turtle and myself. I would encourage you to read it, if you are interested.