• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBAY: BLOCKED USER LIST
54 54

8,560 posts in this topic

Oh boy, I got a real nutter. 

I recently posted some Incredible Hulk comics using the variations feature - multiple single issues are posted using a single listing, the buyer picks which issues he wishes to purchase using a drop-down menu. 

Last Wednesday I sold a copy of What If #2 in NM condition. The buyer received it today and immediately sent me 8 messages. 

This is the first message at 2:42 pm:

"What happened to this book? I was under the impression i was buying a Near Mint (9.2 - 9.4) book. This book has major damage along the back spine. Obviously it was pressed and the temperature of the press was WAY to high and/or not enough time in the humidity tank before the press. The cover and splash page were stuck together and the back cover page is cracking sound. Plus, with this kind of spine with the staples are on the inside of the book, you cannot put too much pressure from the press on the spine because the staples will be smashed out of pages. Are these original staples? They do not look like it, but this is the 1st time I’ve had this book. I will order another to see. The big issue is the HUGE DENT along the entire back cvr spine. How did you send this and think this was ok? Im ok with a bit of infractions that can be press out, but this? Come on, man.. lol"

The next 4 messages include pictures of what he believes to be wrong with the book. 

I respond that I did not press the book, to my knowledge the book is unpressed. What he seems to be describing is common issues with these larger books from the 70's with glued-on covers. I inform him he can return the book for a full refund if not satisfied. 

His 5th message at 2:58 pm:

"This book is low to mid grade at best with the huge dent along the back spine and the staple rip on the inside. The front cover can be fixed...

I am figuring out if these staples are original, because if they are not... Makes sense why they look so different and their is a rip. If they are, cool, but the press jacked them smashed them to ripping and the splash page is almost dislodged"

I respond and ask him to please not mess with book anymore to try and figure out what is "wrong" with the book or to try and "fix" it. I reinterate to simply send the book back for a full refund. 

His next two messages at 3:00 pm and 3:03 pm:

"WHERE R THE OTHER BOOKS???"

"Hey man... There is only 1 book (what if 2) where are the others????"

I try to explain the nature of a listing with variations and how he only purchased one book (I would think that would be fairly obvious since he had to pick one book from a drop-down menu)

Keep in mind that my three responses were sent after I had received his first 8 messages. 

At 4:15 pm I get his first reply to my first response:

"I am NOT displeased with the book, I am VERY displeased that you marked it NM- to NM+ when the huge dent on the side destroys those grades. I have many of these Bronze Age Spines and NON of them have a 9"x 1/2"x1/16" dent on the side of the spine from top to bottom back page...

You Duped Me!"

At 4:18 pm I get his reply to my second response:

"WHO THE SAID I WAS MESSING WITH THE BOOK TO FIX IT??? I SAID I CAN FIX IT BUT I NEED TO FIND OUT IF THE STAPLES ARE ORIGINAL!!!! YOU HAVE SERIOUSLY TEED ME OFF!!! TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE, MISLEADING AD SASYING IT IS NM- TO NM+ AND IT IS NOT CLOSE AND NOW YOU ARE ACCUSING ME OF mess? OH MAN..."

I reply to this temper-tantrum that regardless of whether he's dissatisfied with book or my description of it, whether he thinks the staples are original or not, he can simply initiate a return with eBay, pack the book up securely and return it for a full refund. 

At 4:21 pm I receive this message:

"Ok I see that ...thanks"

Apparently that's an acknowledgement of my explanation of a listing with variations. 

At 4:24 pm I get this message:

"With the you just pulled sending this piece of trash you call NM- to NM+... I am SHOCKED you treat people like this. When you make mistakes, clearly you did, BE NICE and show the customer you care about their satisfaction. Do not accuse me of something I never said or did. YOU DID THIS! YOU LIED AND YOU DECIDED TO TALK WHEN I ASKED.!!!"

To this I simply repeated for him to initiate a return with eBay, pack securely and return for a full refund. 

At 4:30 pm I receive his latest message:

"I will do so .. and I have a purchase policy.. Send me a WAY over graded book then treat me like a dog.. YOU GET NEGATIVE FEEDBACK!

Laterz"

Keep in mind, this is all over a $15 book. 

comics_collectables_galore

Intersstingly, he was very rapid-fire with the messages and yet it's been an hour since his last message and he has yet to leave his threatened negative feedback (though I'm sure he will). I guess I'm expected to grovel....or something?

Edited by Number 6

9 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I recently posted some Incredible Hulk comics using the variations feature - multiple single issues are posted using a single listing, the buyer picks which issues he wishes to purchase using a drop-down menu. 

Last Wednesday I sold a copy of What If #2 in NM condition. The buyer received it today and immediately sent me 8 messages. 

"What happened to this book? I was under the impression i was buying a Near Mint (9.2 - 9.4) book. This book has major damage along the back spine. Obviously it was pressed and the temperature of the press was WAY to high and/or not enough time in the humidity tank before the press. The cover and splash page were stuck together and the back cover page is cracking sound. Plus, with this kind of spine with the staples are on the inside of the book, you cannot put too much pressure from the press on the spine because the staples will be smashed out of pages. Are these original staples? They do not look like it, but this is the 1st time I’ve had this book. I will order another to see. The big issue is the HUGE DENT along the entire back cvr spine. How did you send this and think this was ok? Im ok with a bit of infractions that can be press out, but this? Come on, man.. lol"

The next 4 messages include pictures of what he believes to be wrong with the book. 

I respond that I did not press the book, to my knowledge the book is unpressed. What he seems to be describing is common issues with these larger books from the 70's with glued-on covers. I inform him he can return the book for a full refund if not satisfied. 

"This book is low to mid grade at best with the huge dent along the back spine and the staple rip on the inside. The front cover can be fixed...

I am figuring out if these staples are original, because if they are not... Makes sense why they look so different and their is a rip. If they are, cool, but the press jacked them smashed them to ripping and the splash page is almost dislodged"

I respond and ask him to please not mess with book anymore to try and figure out what is "wrong" with the book or to try and "fix" it. I reinterate to simply send the book back for a full refund. 

I try to explain the nature of a listing with variations and how he only purchased one book (I would think that would be fairly obvious since he had to pick one book from a drop-down menu)

Keep in mind that my three responses were sent after I had received his first 8 messages. 

"I am NOT displeased with the book, I am VERY displeased that you marked it NM- to NM+ when the huge dent on the side destroys those grades. I have many of these Bronze Age Spines and NON of them have a 9"x 1/2"x1/16" dent on the side of the spine from top to bottom back page...

You Duped Me!"

"WHO THE SAID I WAS MESSING WITH THE BOOK TO FIX IT??? I SAID I CAN FIX IT BUT I NEED TO FIND OUT IF THE STAPLES ARE ORIGINAL!!!! YOU HAVE SERIOUSLY TEED ME OFF!!! TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE, MISLEADING AD SASYING IT IS NM- TO NM+ AND IT IS NOT CLOSE AND NOW YOU ARE ACCUSING ME OF mess? OH MAN..."

I reply to this temper-tantrum that regardless of whether he's dissatisfied with book or my description of it, whether he thinks the staples are original or not, he can simply initiate a return with eBay, pack the book up securely and return it for a full refund. 

Apparently that's an acknowledgement of my explanation of a listing with variations. 

"With the you just pulled sending this piece of trash you call NM- to NM+... I am SHOCKED you treat people like this. When you make mistakes, clearly you did, BE NICE and show the customer you care about their satisfaction. Do not accuse me of something I never said or did. YOU DID THIS! YOU LIED AND YOU DECIDED TO TALK WHEN I ASKED.!!!"

To this I simply repeated for him to initiate a return with eBay, pack securely and return for a full refund. 

"I will do so .. and I have a purchase policy.. Send me a WAY over graded book then treat me like a dog.. YOU GET NEGATIVE FEEDBACK!

Laterz"

@Number 6 ... I guess he has your "number" :foryou: :jokealert:

But you've got to laugh it off, this guy has some serious (...) if he goes from yelling in all caps to "thanks" back to yelling face.....

Here's my winner: kingofoldschool75

I sold a $10 book, indicating to see pictures for condition, since I'm not very experienced with grading mid-grade stuff and it's not cost-effective to thoroughly examine cheap books. With all of my listings lately for individual books, I take 4 front shots and 4 back. Straight on, angled from the bottom of the book, and angled from both the spine side and the open side. Between those shots I think you can see most of the defects, and how glossy the book is at an angle. I include detail shots (or indicate in writing) when the larger shots don't show some specific flaw that you can only see from a certain angle. My listing included this shot (note the front cover isn't great; it's clearly not a high grade book, and it's not priced that way):

608361857_IMG_96342.thumb.jpg.a4eea23e4024e3d7ae86d76bf97ebcbb.jpg

I get this message from the buyer after delivery: "Hi just wanted to start off by thanking you for sending the book so quickly I just have a quick question how come you did not mention the huge crease on the back of the comic? I know you put up pictures but it is not visible from any of the pictures and to be honest with you I probably would not have ordered the comic or paid this price for it based on that"

I noted that I provide shots so the flaws are visible, and noticed that while they don't necessarily pop out, I can see that there are creases here, and if he's unhappy with the book, he can return it. He started his response with "Lol. No they aren't small…" and I had to go back to check what I wrote as I didn't think I downplayed anything (I didn't) so he seemed to be having some conversation in his head where I dismissed the flaws as insignificant. He said we could just call it even if I would refund him 60% of the purchase price. Um, no. I tried to meet him halfway and offered to refund 30%, and his reply to that was "Tell you what I will meet you in the middle…" at 45%. I decided not to feed the troll any longer and explained that my offer was halfway, and if that wasn't satisfactory he could return the book. So, he opened a "Not as described" case, left me negative feedback, and sent the book back. I was surprised that there wasn't additional damage added to the book when I got it back, but either way, eBay agreed that you could see the flaws and said they'd be removing the feedback. It probably cost me more with the refunded shipping than it would have just to give him what he was asking for, but I didn't want to encourage that behavior.

UPDATE:

Woke up to this message sent by comics_collectibles_galore last night at 8:56 pm:

"Hope you are having an absolute great evening👍🏻

I have NEVER EVER had a seller completely BS me about so many things then talk . After i leave the DETAILED bad feedback , i am adding you to a special forum of BAD SELLERS..

Ur darn tootin!"

I don't know if he's referring to this forum (which should be interesting) or a Facebook forum. Still threatening negative feedback but hasn't done it yet. 

Jeesuz, what IS it with this hobby anyway?

For full disclosure, I'm posting screenshots of my exact responses to him. 

IMG_0051.PNG

IMG_0053.PNG

IMG_0054.PNG

IMG_0052.PNG

IMG_0056.PNG

Edited by Number 6

11 hours ago, Number 6 said:

You Duped Me!"

Laterz"

Intersstingly, he was very rapid-fire with the messages and yet it's been an hour since his last message and he has yet to leave his threatened negative feedback (though I'm sure he will). I guess I'm expected to grovel....or something?

Aaaaaand this is why Thanos sought the Infinity Stones...

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 8:03 AM, lonetree said:

This is an odd one.  He is going to represent my current auction.  I have blocked him. 

lnqt-19

Capture.thumb.JPG.469c62f6182c93584f7f6c9be38f86bd.JPG

Just got my own Ukrainian creeper today.  Basically the same message content.  User fcety48

Wonder if this is the latest and greatest way for the Eastern bloc to try and hijack accounts.

Is this thread even relevant any longer? an ebay user can easily change their username once every 30 days if i'm correct. therefore that list that's been here for the past however many years is basically useless.  Don't get me wrong. i have a list of people i WILL NOT sell to for various reasons but still.

50 minutes ago, Gabagool said:

Is this thread even relevant any longer? an ebay user can easily change their username once every 30 days if i'm correct. therefore that list that's been here for the past however many years is basically useless.  Don't get me wrong. i have a list of people i WILL NOT sell to for various reasons but still.

Cool story yo (thumbsu

3 hours ago, Gabagool said:

When you put someone on your blocked bidder list, that list updates usernames. While you can't "go back" and add names that are no longer valid, at least you can keep up with it as it goes along.

silveragecollectibles618 -- 11,000+ positives, 0 integrity.  I'd buy a short box full of Stan Lee forgeries from tonfulle-84 before I'd do business with this guy again.

In short, he bought an Uncanny 120 from me for $18 shipped, description of which, in part, contained the following:

"NOTABLE FLAWS: The main flaw of this book is that it has become slightly wavy, I believe due to moisture exposure (touch gives that impression, and there also appears to be a water stain on the back cover which should be visible in the photo)."  [I also graded the book at a 3.0 overall]

A couple days after shipping I get a "not as described" return request (demand; you can't not accept these, because eBay).  Reasoning?  "This book is water damaged. Did not say so in the description."

I somewhat tersely reminded Mr. buyer of the lengthy sentence I wrote on the topic, response was "well, its coming back regardless".  Ultimately I was going to lose any debate with eBay, because eBay.  So finally I said spoon it here's your money back, send the book back or don't, I don't give an excrement.  Figured why pay return shipping and/or additional blood money to eBay for a book that I just wanted a little beer money for? 

I also wasted a bit of time filling out two of those "Report Buyer" reports, in the second one I made sure to mention that I know eBay doesn't give an excrement about what transpired and I doubt anyone reads these anyway.  

I'll follow-up and award homeboy one integrity point if the book actually does show back up in my mailbox.

9 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

silveragecollectibles618 -- 11,000+ positives, 0 integrity.  I'd buy a short box full of Stan Lee forgeries from tonfulle-84 before I'd do business with this guy again.

In short, he bought an Uncanny 120 from me for $18 shipped, description of which, in part, contained the following:

"NOTABLE FLAWS: The main flaw of this book is that it has become slightly wavy, I believe due to moisture exposure (touch gives that impression, and there also appears to be a water stain on the back cover which should be visible in the photo)."  [I also graded the book at a 3.0 overall]

A couple days after shipping I get a "not as described" return request (demand; you can't not accept these, because eBay).  Reasoning?  "This book is water damaged. Did not say so in the description."

I somewhat tersely reminded Mr. buyer of the lengthy sentence I wrote on the topic, response was "well, its coming back regardless".  Ultimately I was going to lose any debate with eBay, because eBay.  So finally I said spoon it here's your money back, send the book back or don't, I don't give an excrement.  Figured why pay return shipping and/or additional blood money to eBay for a book that I just wanted a little beer money for? 

I also wasted a bit of time filling out two of those "Report Buyer" reports, in the second one I made sure to mention that I know eBay doesn't give an excrement about what transpired and I doubt anyone reads these anyway.  

I'll follow-up and award homeboy one integrity point if the book actually does show back up in my mailbox.

Find me that book I'm looking for, and I'll send you some extra for beer. :D

10 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

This one you could actually have won with ebay

16 minutes ago, Poka said:

Nah, I'd have probably gotten connected with one of the reps who would say "Weeelllll, you didn't actually use the phrase 'water damage', so we're gonna need you to go ahead an refund that money.  That would be greeeaaattt."

It's been a lousy week overall.

2 hours ago, Poka said:

Agreed. I called eBay regarding the listing I mentioned recently. I was still out the original shipping (there's no way to avoid this, apparently), but they removed the feedback and reversed the decision on the "not as described" complaint

10 hours ago, Poka said:

I agree.  And in this case, I'd say that not calling ebay is condoning this behavior that you're warning about.  I think you missed a real opportunity @mattn792 :foryou:

1 hour ago, Turtle said:

I agree.  And in this case, I'd say that not calling ebay is condoning this behavior that you're warning about.  I think you missed a real opportunity @mattn792 :foryou:

You and @Poka are probably correct, a little cool down time followed by some substantial phone time likely could've gotten this worked out in my favor, and if it was actually a consequential book I would have done just that.  But over a few bucks, with a cursed book no less (previous attempts at selling also ran into issues :frustrated:), meh, I'll use my time resources elsewhere.  Hopefully the curse is transferred!

Image result for aqua teen curse

35 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

You and @Poka are probably correct, a little cool down time followed by some substantial phone time likely could've gotten this worked out in my favor, and if it was actually a consequential book I would have done just that.  But over a few bucks, with a cursed book no less (previous attempts at selling also ran into issues :frustrated:), meh, I'll use my time resources elsewhere.  Hopefully the curse is transferred!

Image result for aqua teen curse

Fair enough.  You're right...the value would play a factor in this as well.  On a high-value book, I'd have definitely fought it.  On a low-value book, maybe just refund and move on. 

21 hours ago, mattn792 said:

The buyer eats the cost of return shipping on item-not-as-described cases.