• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBAY: BLOCKED USER LIST
54 54

8,583 posts in this topic

Buy at your own risk. Shocked that he has 100% feedback. I won three issues of Harvey Casper comics advertised as "high grade." Free shipping, so I didn't mind Media Mail. I should have asked for pics of the backs because two of the books have someone's name written in ball point pen. But worse, they smell like an attic. Plus a half dozen other flaws, including some serious tanning to the interiors (weirdly, I didn't even mention the spine ticks). I contacted seller asking for a refund and also disputing his "high grade" claim. This is his reply: 

jedi2448 sent you a message about your request:

Well for starters the CGC would knock off about .1 % for the writing on the back and the spine ticks are clearly visible from the pictures I posted. I don't know how small your house is that you smell them across the room so your gross exaggeration is proven right there. 60 year old comics tend to have an "old comic" smell and I have never seen a graded comics mention the smell of it. these books are an easy 7-8 grade "High" grade. But you go ahead and send them back dude, when I receive them, if they are the same books I sent you I will return your money.

Edited by alexanderjk

Dig those high grade 7.0s!  I mean 6.993s, can’t forget the .1% deduction for the writing.  

I just hope he doesn’t go toolbox^2 and claim all the damage happened when you sent them back to him.  That’s only cool when Axel Foley does it.

Edited by mattn792
Math!!!

50 minutes ago, alexanderjk said:

Buy at your own risk. Shocked that he has 100% feedback. I won three issues of Harvey Casper comics advertised as "high grade." Free shipping, so I didn't mind Media Mail. I should have asked for pics of the backs because two of the books have someone's name written in ball point pen. But worse, they smell like an attic. Plus a half dozen other flaws, including some serious tanning to the interiors (weirdly, I didn't even mention the spine ticks). I contacted seller asking for a refund and also disputing his "high grade" claim. This is his reply: 

jedi2448 sent you a message about your request:

Well for starters the CGC would knock off about .1 % for the writing on the back and the spine ticks are clearly visible from the pictures I posted. I don't know how small your house is that you smell them across the room so your gross exaggeration is proven right there. 60 year old comics tend to have an "old comic" smell and I have never seen a graded comics mention the smell of it. these books are an easy 7-8 grade "High" grade. But you go ahead and send them back dude, when I receive them, if they are the same books I sent you I will return your money.

What a goofus.  CGC can knock ".1" grade point off a book-IF it's a 10.0 or 9.9-otherwise not.  .1%?  Nope.  An 8.0 does not become a 7.92-wth.  And I believe writing on back cover is a bit more off a knock-off than .1 grade point.  Did you say you smelled them from across the room because if you did that falls under a metaphor in my mind.  I disagree that 60 year old comics tend to have an 'old comic smell'.  I have plenty of 60 year old comics and they have no particular old smell.  Note to seller 7.0 are not considered 'high grade'.  Goofy.

14 hours ago, mattn792 said:

Dig those high grade 7.0s!  I mean 6.993s, can’t forget the .1% deduction for the writing.  

I just hope he doesn’t go toolbox^2 and claim all the damage happened when you sent them back to him.  That’s only cool when Axel Foley does it.

Right? I replied that I had better things to do that write some random girls’ name on the backs of comics as a ruse to recoup $22.

14 hours ago, kav said:

What a goofus.  CGC can knock ".1" grade point off a book-IF it's a 10.0 or 9.9-otherwise not.  .1%?  Nope.  An 8.0 does not become a 7.92-wth.  And I believe writing on back cover is a bit more off a knock-off than .1 grade point.  Did you say you smelled them from across the room because if you did that falls under a metaphor in my mind.  I disagree that 60 year old comics tend to have an 'old comic smell'.  I have plenty of 60 year old comics and they have no particular old smell.  Note to seller 7.0 are not considered 'high grade'.  Goofy.

I thanked him for the lecture on grading and the lesson on old things smelling bad. (I collected paperbacks from the ‘30s to ‘50s, so I know the difference between “old book smell” and rotting-in-the-attic-mustiness.) 

And I wasn’t even exaggerating about the smell. I have an open floor plan and could smell the books that were in the kitchen clear into my living room. Even my son asked what the smell was when he got in last night. Had even seeped into the cardboard mailer!

He offered to refund my money — $22! — if they came back at a grade less than 7.0. My eyes rolled clear into my head at that. 

Left him a negative (his first), and he blocked me. 

9 minutes ago, alexanderjk said:

Right? I replied that I had better things to do that write some random girls’ name on the backs of comics as a ruse to recoup $22.

I dont know how an exaggeration can be 'proven' in this case as the size of your room was not disclosed nor the competence of your smell factor.  Maybe you're in a prison cell collecting comics and have developed a super smell sense as a survival tool.

while definitely blockable or avoidable going forward-- I would have probably given the guy a neutral rating and noted the lecture and inability to grade comics or disclose defects like writing on the back.

Note:

Not that a negative would not be out of the question, but they do appear to being processing the return. Had they just taken it without that response-- I might have deemed them worthy of a positive. But they went down kicking and screaming. What was that whole response going to accomplish? A negative or neutral for sure. Your return was by no means unreasonable and it was the sellers fault for not doing a better job with pictures, description or understanding what the term "high grade" means to most collectors- which is also the result of having no idea how to grade a comic book at all.

Edited by 01TheDude

5 minutes ago, alexanderjk said:

Exactly! And over a $22 purchase, at that. doh!

how closely did you examine the photos for the item? I found the one in question and I could tell from them that those books were not in that great of shape-- nice but high grade is a meaningless term without parameters. No back pictures, mention of writing on the back, and the smell--- those things were a surprise for sure. Did you try taking them out of the old bags etc? I've noticed books kept in attics in bags do absorb those attic smells but much of that can be alleviated with new bags and boards. Regardless-- it is not your job to have to deal with that. So the negative is justified as an "Items not as described" situation. You can't just leave out strong smells like that and blame the books as being old. We all have plenty of books from that era that do not have intense smells. They have the pulp smell but not obnoxious across the room gross smell.

12 hours ago, jokiing said:

Another fine specimen...... wolfman-collectibles

Multiple low ball bids on a number of auctions... ended up winning only two... ended up not contacting or paying.... WHERE wolf? On my naughty list.

He's a hairy-handed gent, who ran amok in Kent.

Lately he's been overheard in Mayfair.

19 minutes ago, kav said:

He's a hairy-handed gent, who ran amok in Kent.

Lately he's been overheard in Mayfair.

I'm going to a popcorn throwing comedy in October for my brother's b-day called the Werewolves of London! :) 

Spoiler

WerewolfofLondon2013.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

28 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm going to a popcorn throwing comedy in October for my brother's b-day called the Werewolves of London! :) 

Hide contents

WerewolfofLondon2013.jpg

Whatever you do, dont go to Lee Ho Fook's-

Edited by kav

So I had a winning bid of  $3349 for a GSX 1 last night on the Bay.  I see the name of the buyer and did a quick google search this am and glad I did.  Looks like this guy has a long history of shady activity.

I canceled the sale immediately thankfully before he paid anything.

Here's what I turned up on these wonderful boards...  Thank you @AGGIEZ for posting this.

Here's some SS of his new ID he won with and corresponding RL name from my sale yesterday.  I extended 2 second chance offers so hopefully one will take.

Capture2.JPG.81e8bf96bd54a03495a71ae3f345d509.JPG

Capture.JPG.053776a2fcd7158f2a616b5807c834ee.JPG

6 hours ago, MustEatBrains said:

So I had a winning bid of  $3349 for a GSX 1 last night on the Bay.  I see the name of the buyer and did a quick google search this am and glad I did.  Looks like this guy has a long history of shady activity.

Here's what I turned up on these wonderful boards...  Thank you @AGGIEZ for posting this.

Here's some SS of his new ID he won with and corresponding RL name from my sale yesterday.  I extended 2 second chance offers so hopefully one will take.

He can run, but he cannot hide.  His ebay buying experience is being curtailed thx to these boards.  

On 9/18/2019 at 3:31 PM, 01TheDude said:

how closely did you examine the photos for the item? I found the one in question and I could tell from them that those books were not in that great of shape-- nice but high grade is a meaningless term without parameters. No back pictures, mention of writing on the back, and the smell--- those things were a surprise for sure. Did you try taking them out of the old bags etc? I've noticed books kept in attics in bags do absorb those attic smells but much of that can be alleviated with new bags and boards. Regardless-- it is not your job to have to deal with that. So the negative is justified as an "Items not as described" situation. You can't just leave out strong smells like that and blame the books as being old. We all have plenty of books from that era that do not have intense smells. They have the pulp smell but not obnoxious across the room gross smell.

Fronts of the books looked fine. Lesson learned about trusting “VF” “grades” from 100% positive feedback sellers. And yeah, I took the books out of the yellowing bags. Was like a bomb of attic-must exploded in my kitchen. I’m guessing the seller is older and may have lost his sense of smell. 

Edited by alexanderjk

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 8:50 AM, MustEatBrains said:

Wow, blast from the past...amazing how quickly that thread went down hill...

Add rybart-30 to your block list. He's a new eBayer with 5 positive feedback. He won an auction for $59.99 then a couple of days after receiving it he filed a complaint with his bank saying that he didn't "authorize the purchase." I verified with eBay and Paypal that the address I shipped to is his address. Did not and still hasn't contacted me about a refund or return just went straight to his bank. Seller beware.....