• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBAY: BLOCKED USER LIST
54 54

8,583 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, awakeintheashes said:
1 hour ago, Poka said:

this group might be handy

https://www.facebook.com/groups/294455374400541/

Also - given the value involved - you may wish to consider to file a police report against the buyer

Thanks. Good idea. 

So I will give you an old trick I pulled many years ago. 
I called the local judge and sheriff on a guy that scammed me several years ago.
Now this was a money order, but same principle. 

If its a slow day and the smaller the town the better. The judge called the local sheriff
they paid him a visit and the next day I got a very nervous phone call on my message 
machine and my money back 2 days later. 

2 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

Good idea. I think it’s a small Massachusetts town, so that could work. 

1 minute ago, fastballspecial said:

Ive used it twice. Print off the emails and call the local sheriff or judge.
Its "theft by deception" and they hate that stuff in small towns. 

Worked like a charm both times.

And there’s a chance he already has frequent flyer miles with the local police. Certainly worth making a phone call.

Got a beautifully composed offer today... This guy's a real poet.... Would this be considered low balling?

$160?

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 238 9.2 CGC 2054836008 .. WHITE PGS .. 1st HOBGOBLIN .. KEY

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 238  9.2  CGC 2  
Current Bid: $199.00
Auction ends Nov 17, 2019 20:20 PST
Item ID: 184031510003
Bids: 0

Edited by jokiing

14 minutes ago, jokiing said:

Got a beautifully composed offer today... This guy's a real poet.... Would this be considered low balling?

$160?

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 238 9.2 CGC 2054836008 .. WHITE PGS .. 1st HOBGOBLIN .. KEY

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 238  9.2  CGC 2  
Current Bid: $199.00
Auction ends Nov 17, 2019 20:20 PST
Item ID: 184031510003
Bids: 0

I'd say no... There are well established boardies that ask for more than 20% off.. 

On 11/11/2019 at 4:18 PM, DavidTheDavid said:

We get this in digital gaming, too. People are eager to throw their kid under the bus when it comes to regret purchases.

As for comics, I had an ebay buyer who said that his phone in his pocket somehow completed the purchase, sorta like a butt dial. Mind you, this was an offer. So his pocket had to make an offer just a couple of dollars shy of my ask, confirm the offer on the next dialog, and get as far as making the purchase. 

+1 I had the same thing.  I said to the guy, "I go so let me get this straight......you phone while in your pocket magically entered a bid higher than the current highest bid, and somehow then your phone clicked ok and the next screen clicked again to confirm."  He replied back "yes."  :insane:

I opened an unpaid claim 2 days later and let him get a strike on his account.  I would have more respect for a buyer if they just said, " hey look I bid high and I am not going to pay."

On 11/13/2019 at 6:20 PM, awakeintheashes said:

So...

This person

795995C3-6B0E-47C4-885C-ED244290F147.thumb.jpeg.118999429bab6cbee2fd4a20c043d732.jpeg

Purchased this book from me

B11801C7-89D2-4C28-9B81-B66543E9CCD3.thumb.png.b68926f26e6dfe0022accedb0be1f598.png

It was delivered today, and I received this message...

5AE1BDAF-C7A5-4E74-9097-91D5DF9988A9.thumb.png.aee1c00d7dfc8b338e2b0103399011a1.png

I’ve called ebay and will most likely have to file a claim with my insurance company, but this one really stings. 

ebay is calling me back tomorrow because I had to jump off the phone when my wife and kids got  home. I’ll post more details/events if there are any worth sharing. 

Road trip.

1 hour ago, mattn792 said:

Agreed, not an unreasonable open.  But dude loses points for not utilizing the Make an Offer button.

I wasn't fielding offers... and more points lost with me for not using his words.... may be petty, but if the dude wants a deal on the book maybe the message should less cold and more personalized.

9 hours ago, jokiing said:

I wasn't fielding offers... and more points lost with me for not using his words.... may be petty, but if the dude wants a deal on the book maybe the message should less cold and more personalized.

Yeah. Selling is a business. If you make it personal, sometimes it softens that barrier and loosens deals up for either side. I got what I consider to be a very good deal on a run in the past because I appealed to the collector in a seller - I made sure to let him know that I wasn't interested in re-selling and gave him my absolute best offer that I could afford.

Politeness and personality make business better for both sides.

On 11/13/2019 at 7:20 PM, awakeintheashes said:

So...

This person

795995C3-6B0E-47C4-885C-ED244290F147.thumb.jpeg.118999429bab6cbee2fd4a20c043d732.jpeg

Purchased this book from me

B11801C7-89D2-4C28-9B81-B66543E9CCD3.thumb.png.b68926f26e6dfe0022accedb0be1f598.png

It was delivered today, and I received this message...

5AE1BDAF-C7A5-4E74-9097-91D5DF9988A9.thumb.png.aee1c00d7dfc8b338e2b0103399011a1.png

I’ve called ebay and will most likely have to file a claim with my insurance company, but this one really stings. 

ebay is calling me back tomorrow because I had to jump off the phone when my wife and kids got  home. I’ll post more details/events if there are any worth sharing. 

How can Ebay make an informed decision either way? It's not like either one of you can prove he got the right book?

Joys of eBay, right? I guess I'll know more when I receive the book back, which I'm not expecting to be the IH 181. I've been directed to call eBay and speak to High Value Claims department. What happens then, I have no idea. As new developments happen, I'll be sure to post them. 

One thing I will definitely be doing if the book does not come back is alerting any comic shops/pawn shops in New Bedford, MA area about the book and its serial number.

2 hours ago, Gaard said:

How can Ebay make an informed decision either way? It's not like either one of you can prove he got the right book?

One more reason not to use eBay to sell items that are this valuable.  Selling on consignment with a reputable dealer gets you the indirect added benefit of said dealer having insurance and lawyers in place to deal with situations like this.

After reading that guy's message to you.....I can tell he's lying. The line where he says "I paid you more than enough money for that book" tells me everything I need to know about this guy. Who would use a line like that if they had just been ripped off. Ebay should be able to see directly thru this guy......but the question is will they do anything about it.