• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBAY: BLOCKED USER LIST
54 54

8,583 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Mijael.Levy said:

Ebay should not issue refund until the seller gets the return and checks that everything is ok. Ebay sides with abusive buyers and rarely suspend accounts of bad people  

The only way eBay could ever truly make an impact on return and switch is to play middleman for all the merchandise sold on the platform.  Based on their volume, that will never happen.  

Its incumbent on us as sellers to determine what we’re reasonably willing to RISK selling on eBay, and keep our fingers crossed that each sale goes OK.

Here's one for you all...  I real piece of..."work".... Sam Steffany.   Ebay user: Samsosteffan0

email: taumafai1@yahoo.com

I sold him a set of Avengers book in November. He lives in Hawaii, and as I've had happen once before (in 10+ years of frequent selling) a shipment from mainland US to Hawaii just sort of got "hung up" and lost in the ether for awhile.  After 10 days he didn't contact me that it had not arrived, he just filed a claim with ebay (which is fine), but I replied and told him that the tracking shows it's still on it's way... and I've seen this before and it will still get there... and I apologized profusely and just asked for his patience. He said he understood and then two days later asked where it was.  Fine.  After a few more days with the tracking not moving, I took the number to my local PO and then told me what I already knew... it would show up at some point and just be patient.  But the buyer was anxious and obviously now I was on an ebay deadline to resolve things.   He said he still wanted the books, and honestly I didn't think it was fair to hold his money while he didn't have the books so I offered to refund him the purchase if he agreed to repay me once the books arrived.  He agreed to that in an ebay message.  Look, I know that was naive of me, but as a seller I was trying to do that right thing.

Anyway, I refunded him, and two days later (of course) the books arrived.  The easiest way for him to repay me was simply to pay me directly in paypal and he said he'd do that in the next two days.  When he didn't I sent him an invoice... and I've continued to send him reminders off of that invoice as well as follow up emails (as well as ebay site messages) ever since, and since 11/27 he's simply stopped replying at all.  Obviously he realized if he just ignores me he gets $80 worth of "free" books.  Because eventually I'll stop and there will be no consequences for him.

Well... he's basically right.  Even if I show ebay his message promising to repay me I doubt they'd do anything, although it might make some trouble for him... so I might do that.  But I will continue to resend that invoice weekly just to annoy him and remind him what a POS he is.

More importantly, I can come here and save you folks from dealing with someone who will clearly take any advantage of someone else's good nature for a small personal profit.  Happy holidays, right?

I mean, no question...  once I refunded him I knew there was a 75% percent chance I'd never see that money again... but I'd like to think more than 25% of people are decent.  That's still a bet I'm willing to take.

P.S.

New message from: samsosteffan0 (91Blue Star)

Sorry for the late reply. I've had to work doubles the past three days. If you don't mind refunding and once the comics come in I will send you the money back.

Your previous message

Hi - I'm so annoyed these books haven't arrived yet, sorry about all this! I'm being assured by the post office that they will get there... but I feel awful. I was thinking, would you like me to refund your money for the time being? And then when they do arrive you can simply repay me? No reason for me to have your money if you don't have the books in this situation. I'm happy to do that if you'd like. Whatever works best for you.  Thanks so much, Frank

Edited by fmaz

@fmaz - Sorry this went sideways, but in my view, your refund reasoning was flawed.  The product the guy paid for was still on the way, and you did your part as required.  Shipping times to Hawaii aren’t your problem, there was no reason to give the guy (what you thought would be) temporary custody of the money he paid you while the books were still in transit and there was no reason to expect damage or loss.

Him backing out of the gentlemen’s agreement you two struck is certainly low class on his part, but you didn’t have to end up in this situation to begin with.  

3 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

@fmaz - Sorry this went sideways, but in my view, your refund reasoning was flawed.  The product the guy paid for was still on the way, and you did your part as required.  Shipping times to Hawaii aren’t your problem, there was no reason to give the guy (what you thought would be) temporary custody of the money he paid you while the books were still in transit and there was no reason to expect damage or loss.

Him backing out of the gentlemen’s agreement you two struck is certainly low class on his part, but you didn’t have to end up in this situation to begin with.  

Because he opened a case with ebay, I had to resolve it within a window or it would be a strike against my "top seller" status... so I sort of did have to do 'something'... but I don't disagree with you.I brought it on myself.  But I did that by trying to be nice.  He made a meal of it by being a sleaze.   That's why I thought it was worth it warn people about him.  Sad thing is, if the same situation happened again? Even though I know it's stupid? I'd probably react similarly... I HATE unhappy buyers.

29 minutes ago, fmaz said:

Sad thing is, if the same situation happened again? Even though I know it's stupid? I'd probably react similarly... I HATE unhappy buyers.

I'm right there with ya dude. Here's a little story for ya...

About 5 years ago, or so, I had this great idea of selling comics on Ebay. I figured it would be a great way to make a few bucks. Of course, I had no idea what I was doing, or what to do if any hiccups occurred. I drove about 60 miles to my sister's house just to learn how to list stuff on Ebay. After about an hour, I was an expert. :)

Fast forward about a week. My VERY FIRST sale. Some guy out in CA (I'm in MI) bought a slabbed comic from me. I don't know if there was a heat wave out there, or the slab sat in a USPS truck over the weekend, or what, but the slab was melted when it got delivered. (I posted pics of it somewhere on here many moons ago). Anyways, the buyer asks what to do. Remember, I'm a complete novice with both Ebay and CGC. I tell him to get it reholdered and I'd pay for it. He writes back that he has no idea how to do that, so being the nice guy that I am, I fill out the paperwork (cause back then there was actual paperwork) and send it in. I tell him that he's all set, just pack up the book and send it in. Guess what, he has no packing material (what!) and would like me to send him an empty box that he could use.   *I'm laughing as I type this*

So I send him a box (a PRELABELED box, because, you know, I was using my noggin), and he sends it out. A few days later I get a phone call. It's CGC telling me that the book will have to be regraded. Ugh! I say "OK" and pay for it. He finally gets it back a few weeks later (it dropped .5) and left positive feedback. Yeah, I spent way to much money and jumped thru way too many hoops, but I had my first successful sale and I couldn't have been happier!

Altogether, I probably spent about $200 on a 6.0/5.5 copy of Avengers #11, but I learned a boatload with that first sale. Mainly that I probably shouldn't be so much of a push-over (that's code for "quit being such a puzzy")

I wouldn't change a thing.

Amanda Favreau eBay id: comics_and_pops

Check out this buyer's crimes of theft and mail fraud in this thread that was started in the Market place probation forum.  I thought I would direct a link as the thief has done similar open return requests to me.

Link to thread about eBay Thief, Amanda Favreau ( user ID: comics_n_pops )

2 hours ago, Red_Hood said:

Amanda Favreau eBay id: comics_and_pops

Check out this buyer's crimes of theft and mail fraud in this thread that was started in the Market place probation forum.  I thought I would direct a link as the thief has done similar open return requests to me.

Link to thread about eBay Thief, Amanda Favreau ( user ID: comics_n_pops )

That sucks.  I hope you two get your money back from eBay.  Just curious, since she has changed her userID after getting outed, what if she changes it again?  Will she still be blocked from sellers who added her to their blocked buyer list or will she be able to continue with a new userid?

3 minutes ago, 50 Fiddy said:

That sucks.  I hope you two get your money back from eBay.  Just curious, since she has changed her userID after getting outed, what if she changes it again?  Will she still be blocked from sellers who added her to their blocked buyer list or will she be able to continue with a new userid?

Name changes do not affect block list

On 12/28/2019 at 3:34 PM, fmaz said:

Here's one for you all...  I real piece of..."work".... Sam Steffany.   Ebay user: Samsosteffan0

email: taumafai1@yahoo.com

I sold him a set of Avengers book in November. He lives in Hawaii, and as I've had happen once before (in 10+ years of frequent selling) a shipment from mainland US to Hawaii just sort of got "hung up" and lost in the ether for awhile.  After 10 days he didn't contact me that it had not arrived, he just filed a claim with ebay (which is fine), but I replied and told him that the tracking shows it's still on it's way... and I've seen this before and it will still get there... and I apologized profusely and just asked for his patience. He said he understood and then two days later asked where it was.  Fine.  After a few more days with the tracking not moving, I took the number to my local PO and then told me what I already knew... it would show up at some point and just be patient.  But the buyer was anxious and obviously now I was on an ebay deadline to resolve things.   He said he still wanted the books, and honestly I didn't think it was fair to hold his money while he didn't have the books so I offered to refund him the purchase if he agreed to repay me once the books arrived.  He agreed to that in an ebay message.  Look, I know that was naive of me, but as a seller I was trying to do that right thing.

Anyway, I refunded him, and two days later (of course) the books arrived.  The easiest way for him to repay me was simply to pay me directly in paypal and he said he'd do that in the next two days.  When he didn't I sent him an invoice... and I've continued to send him reminders off of that invoice as well as follow up emails (as well as ebay site messages) ever since, and since 11/27 he's simply stopped replying at all.  Obviously he realized if he just ignores me he gets $80 worth of "free" books.  Because eventually I'll stop and there will be no consequences for him.

Well... he's basically right.  Even if I show ebay his message promising to repay me I doubt they'd do anything, although it might make some trouble for him... so I might do that.  But I will continue to resend that invoice weekly just to annoy him and remind him what a POS he is.

More importantly, I can come here and save you folks from dealing with someone who will clearly take any advantage of someone else's good nature for a small personal profit.  Happy holidays, right?

I mean, no question...  once I refunded him I knew there was a 75% percent chance I'd never see that money again... but I'd like to think more than 25% of people are decent.  That's still a bet I'm willing to take.

P.S.

New message from: samsosteffan0 (91Blue Star)

Sorry for the late reply. I've had to work doubles the past three days. If you don't mind refunding and once the comics come in I will send you the money back.

Your previous message

Hi - I'm so annoyed these books haven't arrived yet, sorry about all this! I'm being assured by the post office that they will get there... but I feel awful. I was thinking, would you like me to refund your money for the time being? And then when they do arrive you can simply repay me? No reason for me to have your money if you don't have the books in this situation. I'm happy to do that if you'd like. Whatever works best for you.  Thanks so much, Frank

This happened a few times with me in regards to international sales... Once I switched over the Global Shipping Program, you would be surprised how quickly eBay takes your side when a situation like this arises in regards to an international sale. 

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

This happened a few times with me in regards to international sales... Once I switched over the Global Shipping Program, you would be surprised how quickly eBay takes your side when a situation like this arises in regards to an international sale. 

Amazing how something is not a problem until it's your problem-

2 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

Should I run when a buyer is "Based in Russian Federation"? What does that mean?

Usually they are priced lowish and never ship, kind of like some comic listings from China....I think they just try to get the money and run.

I've never seen a successful transaction :foryou: 

1 hour ago, Blastaar said:

Should I run when a buyer is "Based in Russian Federation"? What does that mean?

The only time I ever had a buyer from Russia win won of my books, I immediately cancelled the transaction.  Russia isn't included in the global shipping program, so I wasn't taking on that risk.  Surprisingly the guy actually messaged to ask why I cancelled.