• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBAY: BLOCKED USER LIST
54 54

8,583 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Personally, I have no problem if someone retracts a bid early on in the auction while the amounts are still low.  I can't see your deleted bids, but it sounds like you put in several high bids before canceling.  This likely scared off other interested buyers and possibly (we'll never know) affected the other person you were in a bidding war with who may have construed you as a shill account as well.  If you were so concerned about shill bids, you probably shouldn't have bid so much and so often to begin with.  Certainly not 3 days into a 10 day auction.

I dont have a problem either and my bids were automatically bid up by 1000 increments very early into the auction. Also the seller messaged me about my bids on his auction shortly after I bid which Ive never had happen since ive been on ebay since 2003. This gave me a weird feeling and I did not want any part of what I deemed to be a shady auction. The other account bidding against me apparently won the auction and did not pay...smells like shill bidding to me.

Just now, Charleybrown said:

I dont have a problem either and my bids were automatically bid up by 1000 increments very early into the auction. Also the seller messaged me about my bids on his auction shortly after I bid which Ive never had happen since ive been on ebay since 2003. This gave me a weird feeling and I did not want any part of what I deemed to be a shady auction. The other account bidding against me apparently won the auction and did not pay...smells like shill bidding to me.

Also when I withdrew my bids the auction went from 9700 to 9300 i believe

1 hour ago, Charleybrown said:

Trying to win?? thats cute. Youre reading into this way too much. There was no attempt to game the auction. I have nothing to gain at gaming the auction. It didnt seem realisting that someone was bidding it up in 1k increments so i withdrew my bids plain and simple. The book didnt sell when the auction closed. So maybe your shill bidder was the one who won and now youre claiming hes gaming it too. I guess well never know the truth. As for name calling i said youre nuts because you asked me to pay for your medical bills because you had a stroke. Im guessing your blood pressure runs pretty high if your panties get in a bunch over someone retracting bids from your shady auction.

My shill bidder?? :roflmao:Asked to pay my medical bills? :facepalm: ... oh my... boy did you ever miss the meaning of that comment....  Shady auction?  Do you hear yourself? Best of luck...

2 hours ago, Charleybrown said:

Untrue. That's a lie. You're a liar. Pathetic. Below is my response to you - and it was sent only after you wrote me. Now everyone can see you as you are... dishonest.

Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 8.50.03 PM.png

Edited by Mxwll Smrt

2 hours ago, Mxwll Smrt said:

Untrue. That's a lie. You're a liar. Pathetic. Below is my response to you - and it was sent only after you wrote me. Now everyone can see you as you are... dishonest.

Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 8.50.03 PM.png

"Ive been watching your bids"...yea im sure you were watching them and then having your buddy bid it up. 

@Charleybrown @Mxwll Smrt

I may be off the mark on the intended purpose of the eBay Blocked User thread, but I sense this is devolving into something that is better suited to PM's.  You both stated your case and now it's up to the community to decide whether they want to add you to their personal blocked lists.

From my perspective, neither party is looking very good right now.

20 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

@Charleybrown @Mxwll Smrt

I may be off the mark on the intended purpose of the eBay Blocked User thread, but I sense this is devolving into something that is better suited to PM's.  You both stated your case and now it's up to the community to decide whether they want to add you to their personal blocked lists.

From my perspective, neither party is looking very good right now.

Fair enough. I originally came here to state my case that this guy was salty and overreacting about a nothing burger. It seems like he has a history of doing this. In any case ill stop posting about this and I apologize if we clogged up the thread. 

Although the posts seem to "clog" things up, they are necessary and although all too often unfortunate for board members, the process helps the community. It has not been my intention to offend anyone in this community - just call out some really bad behavior.

However, that being said, I do not apologize for defending my position here or my good name... or for initially putting the names of the others here.. it was necessary. If newer board members can't understand this or that one's name means everything then there are really big problems. If the newer board members fail to recognize or understand the importance of behaving ethically - especially as it relates to this board - then it doesn't look good for anyone and everyone here. 

That being said, I wanted to share a few more items... Below is a copy of the communication I had with the bidder that was bidding against Charleybrown. The same initial note went to other bidders as well and if needed I will post them. I do not know any of them nor have I ever done business with any of them. I, as a the seller of my property, have every absolute right to communicate with a prospective buyer and there was nothing nefarious in the communication(s)...  and how anyone anywhere could think I had anything to do with the price increments or how they were being thrown about by bidders is beyond absurd.

The "shill" comments are defamatory, unsubstantiated and absolutely untrue. The more experienced board members will agree. Nothing other than the bidder's ill perceived and emotion based actions has been shown. What's also problematic is the behavior of the newer board member... the unchecked soft lob of insults is offensive especially when coupled with the lack of perspective in addition to the attempt to make another invalid... just because they don't see it doesn't mean its not there.

Now, below is also a snapshot of the eBay listing (and after the failed listing, the book was posted here and sold here on this board within minutes). In the copy of the listing, it lets board members know how to get in touch with me if there are any questions. This is done in an effort to try and sell and also to let others know - possible viewers who are also board members - that there's a sense of safety... and that's what being a member of this community did at one time...

I've been on this board for just over a decade... In that time, I have never been accused of being unethical and dishonest... not until now... and that's one of the most serious things that can happen on this board and that's why the response is the way it is. Maybe one day we’ll get to address how too many of the newer board members need to listen because they don't know it all…

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 4.14.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 4.21.52 AM.png

Edited by Mxwll Smrt

6 hours ago, Mxwll Smrt said:

Although the posts seem to "clog" things up, they are necessary and although all too often unfortunate for board members, the process helps the community. It has not been my intention to offend anyone in this community - just call out some really bad behavior.

However, that being said, I do not apologize for defending my position here or my good name... or for initially putting the names of the others here.. it was necessary. If newer board members can't understand this or that one's name means everything then there are really big problems. If the newer board members fail to recognize or understand the importance of behaving ethically - especially as it relates to this board - then it doesn't look good for anyone and everyone here. 

That being said, I wanted to share a few more items... Below is a copy of the communication I had with the bidder that was bidding against Charleybrown. The same initial note went to other bidders as well and if needed I will post them. I do not know any of them nor have I ever done business with any of them. I, as a the seller of my property, have every absolute right to communicate with a prospective buyer and there was nothing nefarious in the communication(s)...  and how anyone anywhere could think I had anything to do with the price increments or how they were being thrown about by bidders is beyond absurd.

The "shill" comments are defamatory, unsubstantiated and absolutely untrue. The more experienced board members will agree. Nothing other than the bidder's ill perceived and emotion based actions has been shown. What's also problematic is the behavior of the newer board member... the unchecked soft lob of insults is offensive especially when coupled with the lack of perspective in addition to the attempt to make another invalid... just because they don't see it doesn't mean its not there.

Now, below is also a snapshot of the eBay listing (and after the failed listing, the book was posted here and sold here on this board within minutes). In the copy of the listing, it lets board members know how to get in touch with me if there are any questions. This is done in an effort to try and sell and also to let others know - possible viewers who are also board members - that there's a sense of safety... and that's what being a member of this community did at one time...

I've been on this board for just over a decade... In that time, I have never been accused of being unethical and dishonest... not until now... and that's one of the most serious things that can happen on this board and that's why the response is the way it is. Maybe one day we’ll get to address how too many of the newer board members need to listen because they don't know it all…

Are these repeated comments about newer board members in reference to my comment?

If you're gonna post facts, by all means, keep on posting as that's actually relevant to the decision making process.  Some of the responses seemed to begin to devolve into name calling which is why I posted what I did.

1 hour ago, Gaard said:

Just an FYI ... if I was bidding on a book, and for whatever reason I suspected funny business was going on, I wouldn't hesitate to retract my bids (if the auction was still going on).

Agreed... but if you're a bidder on a book and you bid every time you lose your "top" position... and then attempt to put in a second bid on top of your leading bid...  you run the risk that the book's owner will view you as part of the problem... the books owner sees all of the silliness as well as the bid increments... and you can't say "I got suspicious".... because you try to get the book at all costs and when you realize how expensive its become (because there are others doing the same)  simply bail and say oops...and then blame the owner of the book? 

Edited by Mxwll Smrt

1 hour ago, Gaard said:

Just an FYI ... if I was bidding on a book, and for whatever reason I suspected funny business was going on, I wouldn't hesitate to retract my bids (if the auction was still going on).

Thats all I was saying yet this guy posts a warning about me for doing just that. If i pulled out of the auction last minute or won and didnt pay thats one thing but I got bid up in 1k increments the same day i put in my bid. I have a good reputation and have bought and sold many high dollar books without a hitch. This is the first time ive had an issue with a seller about something like this.

1 hour ago, Charleybrown said:

Thats all I was saying yet this guy posts a warning about me for doing just that. If i pulled out of the auction last minute or won and didnt pay thats one thing but I got bid up in 1k increments the same day i put in my bid. I have a good reputation and have bought and sold many high dollar books without a hitch. This is the first time ive had an issue with a seller about something like this.

No, that's not what I've been saying...and that’s not why I made the suggestion to put you on the list... I actually agree that if and when there's a sense of funny business that its ok to bail…

In my eyes, and I watched everyone's bids, you were very much a key part of the problem.

And I feel you ruined the listing…7 days out... and I have every right to post my perceptions/experience... and although you may be of the belief what you did was a "big fat nothing burger" or that I’m a “drama queen, difficult”, etc, I see your behavior as harmful to board members… and you’ve solidified it by making a few defamatory, retaliatory and meritless claims here… especially that I was unethical and dishonest and somehow had something to do with the bid increments.

IMO, based on what I saw and experienced, your bidding behavior was inexperienced and then your attempt to blame me on the eBay mail system for what you very much was responsible for is why you're nominated.

As a bidder, you, along with another, drove the book’s pricing...and although others intermittently put in their bids, you and the other drove the price above GPA… in fact, as you know, you helped drive it to the highest price for the grade ever within the first 3 days of a 10 day listing.

Both you and the other were nominated… but he’s not a board member. 

And here’s what I saw… You, along with 9 others (3 were out quickly) drove the price up to $9900.00 in 3 days time. You, along with the other "big shot" bidder began to go back and forth with each other within 12 hours of the listing’s start… and I watched…

… and the book (with all of you) went from $9.99 onward... and up... and every time you were displaced as the top bidder, you came back big and strong... and so did other bidders that were leaving margins on their bids so they wouldn't be displaced… but you kept going... you had to be on top (see the attachment with the bids)...

I do not mean to insult you, but being so heavy 3 days in to the listing was your deal and a sign of either a lack of experience or a “I’m going to get this book at any cost”…. and that is just what it was.... your choice...

Your commentary that I was somehow unethical with the listing has been proven to be absurd... but it hasn't stopped you... and you cancelled all of your bids but it didn't collapse the listing... it made everyone uncomfortable. 

I think otherwise of your reasoning.... but hey, let Shai Hulud judge…

Edited by Mxwll Smrt

1 hour ago, Mxwll Smrt said:

No, that's not what I've been saying...and that’s not why I made the suggestion to put you on the list... I actually agree that if and when there's a sense of funny business that its ok to bail…

In my eyes, and I watched everyone's bids, you were very much a key part of the problem.

And I feel you ruined the listing…7 days out... and I have every right to post my perceptions/experience... and although you may be of the belief what you did was a "big fat nothing burger" or that I’m a “drama queen, difficult”, etc, I see your behavior as harmful to board members… and you’ve solidified it by making a few defamatory, retaliatory and meritless claims here… especially that I was unethical and dishonest and somehow had something to do with the bid increments.

IMO, based on what I saw and experienced, your bidding behavior was inexperienced and then your attempt to blame me on the eBay mail system for what you very much was responsible for is why you're nominated.

As a bidder, you, along with another, drove the book’s pricing...and although others intermittently put in their bids, you and the other drove the price above GPA… in fact, as you know, you helped drive it to the highest price for the grade ever within the first 3 days of a 10 day listing.

Both you and the other were nominated… but he’s not a board member. 

And here’s what I saw… You, along with 9 others (3 were out quickly) drove the price up to $9900.00 in 3 days time. You, along with the other "big shot" bidder began to go back and forth with each other within 12 hours of the listing’s start… and I watched…

… and the book (with all of you) went from $9.99 onward... and up... and every time you were displaced as the top bidder, you came back big and strong... and so did other bidders that were leaving margins on their bids so they wouldn't be displaced… but you kept going... you had to be on top (see the attachment with the bids)...

I do not mean to insult you, but being so heavy 3 days in to the listing was your deal and a sign of either a lack of experience or a “I’m going to get this book at any cost”…. and that is just what it was.... your choice...

Your commentary that I was somehow unethical with the listing has been proven to be absurd... but it hasn't stopped you... and you cancelled all of your bids but it didn't collapse the listing... it made everyone uncomfortable. 

I think otherwise of your reasoning.... but hey, let Shai Hulud judge…

Youre totally wrong. Your assessment is off just like you think mine is. The only difference is I can admit that I was wrong and it does not appear like shill bidding. When I made the decision to retract I made a judgement call. I didnt do anything shady or out of line. It seems like most people who are reasonable agree that its not a big deal to pull your bid if you suspect shady behavior. Ebay is not regulated and there is a lot of funny business. My buddy consigned an item with a very famous auction house on ebay and it ran a total of 6 times. The first 5 times it kept hitting high prices but the buyer "mysteriously" did not pay. This past week it sold for a third of the price it was hitting in the 5 times prior and this time they paid. Just one example of the funny business that goes on at ebay.

15 hours ago, Charleybrown said:

Youre totally wrong. Your assessment is off just like you think mine is. The only difference is I can admit that I was wrong and it does not appear like shill bidding. When I made the decision to retract I made a judgement call. I didnt do anything shady or out of line. It seems like most people who are reasonable agree that its not a big deal to pull your bid if you suspect shady behavior. Ebay is not regulated and there is a lot of funny business. My buddy consigned an item with a very famous auction house on ebay and it ran a total of 6 times. The first 5 times it kept hitting high prices but the buyer "mysteriously" did not pay. This past week it sold for a third of the price it was hitting in the 5 times prior and this time they paid. Just one example of the funny business that goes on at ebay.

OK. Thank you for finally saying it does not appear like shill bidding. Based upon your admission coupled with your explanation I'm willing to drop this and withdraw my nomination of your name. 

Edited by Mxwll Smrt
Highlighting of the poster Charleybrown's admission no wrong was done.