• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBAY: BLOCKED USER LIST
54 54

8,560 posts in this topic

mjolario (19)

Did a Buy It Now on a $20 book at 1:03am and at 4:21pm I received this message "I had a flood in my home. I live in ca and i cant afford to buy this at this time. Can i cancel this order so sorry"

The old "flood in the home" excuse. Reminds me of a friend who won an auction at a really good price, and the seller comes back with, "the comics were in my basement and there was a flood that ruined them." My friend asked, "Well, can I at least see a photo that shows the flood, or a pic of the comics that shows the damange?" and the seller wasn't very friendly or helpful after that.

I had the "flood in the home" excuse twice in the same week. Once by a buyer and once by a seller. There must be some sort of eBay for insufficiently_thoughtful_persons guide out there somewhere that tells you to use this as an excuse.

I wish my NPB would just cancel order-then I could relist immediately. The ones I hate are the ones you gotta open a case and wait wait wait.

I wish my NPB would just cancel order-then I could relist immediately. The ones I hate are the ones you gotta open a case and wait wait wait.

Anyone know how active eBay is with suspending accounts for too many NPB strikes? I found myself revisiting the topic after closing two on Sunday.

Anyone know how active eBay is with suspending accounts for too many NPB strikes? I found myself revisiting the topic after closing two on Sunday.

They essentially never do this.

ebay user ID: nunsong-i

Clearly labeled CGC 8.0

"hi, please cancel this. I thought it was an 8.5

thank you"

Greg, you must have enough material for a book by now. I know I am going to keep my eye on the NYT best seller's list for the forthcoming novel, "Dear Greg Reece, I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person: Tales from the eBay Trenches".

Unpaid item strikes however, do have one bad effect. When you go to call ebay with a complaint or request feedback removed or something, they look at your data. And the amount of help they give you is based upon what type of member you have been. Many times I have heard the rep say 'ok well it looks like you have 100% fb and no strikes so I can help you-'

A couple of weeks ago I changed my account settings to prevent users with a certain number of offenses from seeing my listings. Initially I was concerned it may prevent bids etc. but its done nothing but ensure quality bidders. I've had one NPB since then but historically the percentage has been higher so the changes definitely helped.

Clearly labeled CGC 8.0

thank you"

This one you could probably fight and win. If someone buys a watch and says I thought it was a duck, yeah ebay will say no dice.

By 'win' I mean, open a case, give em a strike. Get your money-no.

Unpaid item strikes however, do have one bad effect. When you go to call ebay with a complaint or request feedback removed or something, they look at your data. And the amount of help they give you is based upon what type of member you have been. Many times I have heard the rep say 'ok well it looks like you have 100% fb and no strikes so I can help you-'

So essentially they still have very little effect. Reputable folks won't rack them up to begin with, and without any real repercussions (such as threat of suspension, negative feedback) individual_without_enough_empathy buyers will remain individual_without_enough_empathy buyers.

So essentially they still have very little effect. Reputable folks won't rack them up to begin with, and without any real repercussions (such as threat of suspension, negative feedback) individual_without_enough_empathy buyers will remain individual_without_enough_empathy buyers.

Well if something goes bad for you think how frustrating it would be if ebay said we can't help you. So it could potentially be really bad for them.

The good money is on me not being paid, so I'd recommend blocking eBay member ernestopunisher2015.

Background - member placed a (likely thrill) bid on a 9.8, quad signed Wolverine v3 66 third print on Jan-08-17 18:30:12 PST

On January 10, 2017 at about 22:17 PST I get the following message:

"Hello there! Can u please cancel this bid !! I bid on the wrong item!! I couldn t cancel it in my end!! My apologies for the inconvenience !!"

In short, I inform him that my book has been unique on eBay for quite some time, and his bid was placed over two days ago. Therefore I do not find him credible and will not cancel his bid. He ends up as the winning bidder, I get a message the next day that boils down to "I'm new, I don't know how to use the app, I'll leave you good feedback if you help me out."

I respond that he's been a member for a while and his feedback over the past year details at least three other similar incidents. I again decline to cancel and inform him I will resolve through eBay's NPB policy.

Response to that boils down to -- "well I'll have to leave you bad feedback for being unprofessional, thanks for nothing."

My verbatim final message:

"Again, that is also your choice. Just bear in mind that I have followed established eBay procedures and am at no time under any obligation to grant your bid cancellation request, especially when available evidence suggests to me that this request is not based on believable reasoning. As I stated before, I will resolve this situation through eBay's non-paying bidder process, and I will also plan to provide their customer care team with our full message exchange as you have tried to both bribe and extort my cooperation in this matter through your offer of good/threat of bad feedback.

I do hope you will avoid situations like this in the future."

Save yourselves the headache.

UPDATE: To be fair, I did receive a payment offer. For February 1st. At 2/3 of the sale price... :facepalm:

I know this is a few weeks old, but I have a question.

Wouldn't it have been easier to just cancel the listing?

A savvy buyer who is stricken with a case of buyer's remorse could pay for the comic, have it shipped, and then say they want to return it. If they do, there is little the seller can do except accept the return.

Even if the would-be buyer gives a dumb reason for wanting to cancel, I will let them out of the deal as it's much quicker and less risky than shipping a book to someone who will likely return it. Since Ebay will force the return, it seems a little foolish to try to strongarm a transaction where both parties aren't willing.

What are your thoughts on this?

ebay user ID: rubbersoul1989

canceled order and blocked

"So. I already paid because I thought I was stuck with it. But someone told me it was worth asking, I thought I offered 42 after making offers. I know it was a really dumb mistake. But. It's worth a shot asking, is it too late to cancel this order? I know. Really dumb. I know it's easy to refund things on paypal. If you could understand that'd be great.. I'm also from MD! As much as that counts for.. Which is nothing. But hoping you can work with me. I will give you a few dollars for the listing fee or something if you can help me out. Sorry for inconvenience and stupidity on my part. Thanks for your hopeful understanding."

At least this guy is polite and admits he's a bonehead.

The good money is on me not being paid, so I'd recommend blocking eBay member ernestopunisher2015.

Background - member placed a (likely thrill) bid on a 9.8, quad signed Wolverine v3 66 third print on Jan-08-17 18:30:12 PST

On January 10, 2017 at about 22:17 PST I get the following message:

"Hello there! Can u please cancel this bid !! I bid on the wrong item!! I couldn t cancel it in my end!! My apologies for the inconvenience !!"

In short, I inform him that my book has been unique on eBay for quite some time, and his bid was placed over two days ago. Therefore I do not find him credible and will not cancel his bid. He ends up as the winning bidder, I get a message the next day that boils down to "I'm new, I don't know how to use the app, I'll leave you good feedback if you help me out."

I respond that he's been a member for a while and his feedback over the past year details at least three other similar incidents. I again decline to cancel and inform him I will resolve through eBay's NPB policy.

Response to that boils down to -- "well I'll have to leave you bad feedback for being unprofessional, thanks for nothing."

My verbatim final message:

"Again, that is also your choice. Just bear in mind that I have followed established eBay procedures and am at no time under any obligation to grant your bid cancellation request, especially when available evidence suggests to me that this request is not based on believable reasoning. As I stated before, I will resolve this situation through eBay's non-paying bidder process, and I will also plan to provide their customer care team with our full message exchange as you have tried to both bribe and extort my cooperation in this matter through your offer of good/threat of bad feedback.

I do hope you will avoid situations like this in the future."

Save yourselves the headache.

UPDATE: To be fair, I did receive a payment offer. For February 1st. At 2/3 of the sale price... :facepalm:

I know this is a few weeks old, but I have a question.

Wouldn't it have been easier to just cancel the listing?

A savvy buyer who is stricken with a case of buyer's remorse could pay for the comic, have it shipped, and then say they want to return it. If they do, there is little the seller can do except accept the return.

Even if the would-be buyer gives a dumb reason for wanting to cancel, I will let them out of the deal as it's much quicker and less risky than shipping a book to someone who will likely return it. Since Ebay will force the return, it seems a little foolish to try to strongarm a transaction where both parties aren't willing.

What are your thoughts on this?

I had no illusions that I was going to get paid, I refused to cancel solely for the purpose of putting an NPB strike on his record for whatever limited good it would do. Cancelling is certainly much easier, but I'm guessing a multi-time offender like him is used to that and feels empowered to thrill bid at will. Maybe he'll think twice now, who knows.

I've been all over the place on the block bidder thing. If I allow myself, I can work myself up to being angry about these deadbeats, never mind crackpots like notsure recently had to deal with. Way upthread I'm certain I ranted, even since joining the board.

But last round I did, in November, 100 Fixed/BIN, and over 60 NR auctions, I deleted the 1000 blocked member list I'd borrowed (cut and paste) from here [maybe darthbane's?], and didn't block anyone except what ebay auto-screen allows - I think 2 non paying bidder strikes over some month period.

Mostly marvel silver and bronze, maybe 10% slabbed.

My report to the board of this lack of protection: one deadbeat, two that took a week after I used 'cancel-threaten nonpayment strike' what-ever-it's-called.

Oh, and the biggest book (an $880 ST110) was returned because not a VG range (although description said twice I think it is a nice high GD).

I think I wanna block him now, so, so much for my experiment. It's just so much admin work (unless I just use the mass list this board has compiled). Oh, and I added a fib in my ads, and promise I'll try to block members who are non paying bidders. Maybe the thing is for me to buy a good list that is all the dregs and none of the personality-grated-on-me borderline cases ? I can spot the warning signs of the genuine flakes pretty good myself, but that's the admin burden I was thinking to avoid with the zero list approach.

yep

and make sure folks to set your ebay to not accept bids from bidders with 2 strikes in 12 months and 4 policy violations in 6 months.

to do this you hover over your name and select account settings-site preferences-buyer requirements.

Great advice, I'd never seen these options before! (thumbs u

Clearly labeled CGC 8.0

thank you"

Greg, you must have enough material for a book by now. I know I am going to keep my eye on the NYT best seller's list for the forthcoming novel, "Dear Greg Reece, I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person: Tales from the eBay Trenches".

Ha-ha. I probably do. It's not incredible there are insufficiently_thoughtful_persons in the world, it's incredible there are an unending supply of them.

And the hits keep coming. What a Monday. Granted it is slightly better than waiting for the auction to end but he needed someone (whoever that may be?) to tell him he didn't have the $$? Good gravy!

ebay user ID: dablundel0

"Unfortunately I would like to retract my bid as I've just been told I do not have sufficient funds to make the purchase as there are six or seven hours still are you would like somebody else to purchase this item what can I do to make this less of an inconvenience for you

Daniel"