• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBAY: BLOCKED USER LIST
54 54

8,586 posts in this topic

And I do realise we are talking about eBay, but you still didn't answer my question.

You keep wanting people to answer your "what if" questions.

Why don't YOU try answering this "what if" question that's been asked (and ignored) several times already?

He wouldn't answer me when I asked him if he would be mad if I asked him for more money if the books had gone up in value.

Yes I would be mad. And I wouldn't buy it. Wouldn't be the first time it's happened. That's the risk you take as a seller correct? You lose a buyer for an item if you ask for too much.

How about from a seller's point of view then. Let's say you pre-order at $200. Demand goes through the roof and the going rate jumps up to $350. Should the seller cancel your order and sell it to someone else for $350? Would he be taking a $150 hit by honoring the $200 sale?

Once again has happened to me before with Amazon. Pre-ordered a game at £20 and they refused to sell it to me for that price. Final price for the game £54. So, yes I refused to buy it from them.

Once again it's the risk.

Opinions are like individual_without_enough_empathys. Everyone has one and they don't all smell nice.

You keep talking about Amazon.

NOBODY in here is talking about Amazon.

Has this ever happened to you on Ebay?

And forums are like individual_without_enough_empathys too. Every one has one and they don't all smell nice.

My point was that I understood the buyers point of view. And everybody got on their high horse saying that they'd never and have never done it. Sure.

I don't understand the buyers point of view at all. The point of a pre-order like that is to guarantee the delivery of an item and to do so at a specified price. It's wrong for either the buyer or seller to cancel or adjust after the fact...whether the price goes up or down. I've never done it and never will.

But, as was pointed out before by someone else, I would never be foolish enough to buy something for $1,000 that has the potential to drop to $1 before it's released.

If, as in the original scenario, I pre-ordered something on eBay for around $50 and the price dropped to $30 before it was released......I'd pay the frigging $50 for it.

You're the one that took it to ridiculous extremes to try to make some sort of a point to legitimize your way of thinking.

A way of thinking that, right now, is getting you added to many sellers blocked user lists on eBay. lol

Great. I answer your questions but you won't answer mine.

Once again, so that everyone can hear it...

You pre-order at 1000. No ifs or buts.

The item drops to 1 before the item is launched.

You can cancel and order at 1.

Do you?

No "Oh I'm so smart I know how to invest"

Just yes. Or no.

And they are free to add me.

People that I buy from know that I've never reneged on a deal and I've always paid.

So whatever.

Nobody's answering because this isn't a ridiculous scenario like you pose that would never happen.

So, your line of thinking goes something like this:

If someone pre-sells an item on eBay and the value goes down before it's shipped, the seller should sell it for the lesser amount or the buyer can back out of the deal........and if the value goes up and the seller want's the buyer to pay the higher price, the buyer can back out of the deal.

So it's a win/win scenario for the buyer and a lose/lose scenario for the seller.

lol

Blocked.

Rather than the ridiculous "$1000 item reduced to $1" example (which would simply never happen, and therefore is about as relevant as a hypothetical involving a seller on Mars offering items in Martian currency) or the Amazon mass-produced items example (which is a complete red herring, apples-to-oranges example involving two entirely different types of product, in that we're discussing collectible, often-limited, and price-volatile items here), we can find other examples more similar that occur in the sales forum here on a regular basis. Sellers runs sales threads with items at full price, and in many of them, those prices are adjusted lower (either through discounts, or individual markdowns). In some cases, the seller offers these markdowns may have multiple copies of an items in an identical condition (some of which have sold already before a markdown).

To Rebelpk, if you were to purchase an item a full price in this situation (an item which a seller has multiple copies of in identical condition), and then attempt to get a lower price from them after the fact if they offered a thread-wide discount on remaining unsold item, and then refuse to go through with your transaction if the seller refused to do so, you would end up on the Probation List here (a similar example was brought up by a seller in the Probation Discussion thread sometime back about a buyer who attempted to procure discounts on items claimed at full price after the seller started discounting unsold items in their thread -- the pretty much unanimous consensus was that the buyer was pulling a move, and that if they didn't go through with the purchase, they'd be looking at a PL nomination easily).

Since you've been here long enough where you should know how the PL list works here, you'd be on the blacklist of a huge number of sellers and buyers here, including many of the biggest and the best. Judging by the comments made by some here already, you're already being added to people's personal lists as we speak.

And regarding your "never would happen" example?

You pre-order at 1000. No ifs or buts.

The item drops to 1 before the item is launched.

You can cancel and order at 1.

Do you?

If, and only if, the seller themselves offered the option to cancel and repurchase at a lower price would I do so -- otherwise, the answer would be NO. I sold real estate for a dozen years, and I fully understand the ramifications and seriousness of entering into ANY contract to purchase, and I have my ethics, which would not allow me to violate a legal contract to purchase that I had freely made, no matter how financially beneficial it would be for me to do so.

As I once told a poster in a PL discussion, my integrity and my word does not have a price that can be put on it. By all suggestions you've made by continuing to use this unrealistic example, even though you claim to never have reneged on a deal, clearly you would it seems -- your price just looks to be $999 or pounds or whatever hypothetical currency you're using in this example. Congratulations -- people here have been willing to sell out their principles and render their word meaningless for far less, so you at least won't do it for less that nearly four figures. :facepalm:

And for the record, I don't sell on eBay, and I almost never buy there either, so I don't care what your eBay handle is. However, your posts will now be reading for me as this:

*** You are ignoring this user ***

Toggle the display of this post

Not because you're not entitled to your opinion -- you're welcome to it -- but you're now on my list of people I won't sell to or buy from, and this is how I keep track of them. I don't want to deal with the hassle of finding out where your desire to save money and the principle of keeping your commitment to purchase something actually intersect. (shrug)

Yeah. Or that can't see both sides of the story ;)

I can see both sides of the story....fortunately, I can also see when one side of the story is morally bankrupt. ;)

I don't want to deal with the hassle of finding out where your desire to save money and the principle of keeping your commitment to purchase something actually intersect. (shrug)

Exactly!

A buyer clicking the "buy it now" on Ebay does not mean,secure the product and renegotiate at a later date (only if the item goes down in price).

If being butthurt over losing $10-$20,you shouldn't be in this hobby.

The good thing for me is...he paid more than 45 days ago so he can't put in a claim against me with Paypal. He could leave me a negative (which looking at his "feedback left for sellers link",he is known to do) but hopefully Ebay would review the emails back and forth and see the guy was trying to reneg on the deal and wipe away the negative.

I don't want to deal with the hassle of finding out where your desire to save money and the principle of keeping your commitment to purchase something actually intersect. (shrug)

Exactly!

A buyer clicking the "buy it now" on Ebay does not mean,secure the product and renegotiate at a later date (only if the item goes down in price).

The good thing for me is...he paid more than 45 days ago so he can't put in a claim against me with Paypal. He could leave me a negative (which looking at his "feedback left for sellers link",he is known to do) but hopefully Ebay would review the emails back and forth and see the guy was trying to reneg on the deal and wipe away the negative.

Let me say the following to you.

It sucks that it happened to you. All I said is I could see his point of view. Not that I agreed that he should go around stiffing people. Whoever wants to interpret it like that. so be it.

Exactly!

Let me say the following to you.

It sucks that it happened to you. All I said is I could see his point of view. Not that I agreed that he should go around stiffing people. Whoever wants to interpret it like that. so be it.

We all see his point of view. We all see $ came between the man keeping his word and living up to a commitment. I don't care where you are from,that ain't cool.

And you are entitled to do so.

However, you are blocking me based on my opinion and not actions.

So have at it.

Since you didn't quote who this was directed to -- and since at least two people here have publicly stated that you're on their "do not deal with" list now. with another number of people having for all intents and purposes implied the same without necessarily stating it outright (all of whom, BTW, I believe I've dealt with in one fashion or another in transactions before that all went fantastic, and all of whom are top-notch people to deal with, so ... (shrug) ) -- I'll answer this, in case it was directed to me.

I'll quote myself, in case you didn't actually read it:

Not because you're not entitled to your opinion -- you're welcome to it -- but you're now on my list of people I won't sell to or buy from, and this is how I keep track of them. I don't want to deal with the hassle of finding out where your desire to save money and the principle of keeping your commitment to purchase something actually intersect. (shrug)

In simpler terms, despite your own claim to a moral high horse with this quote

People that I buy from know that I've never reneged on a deal and I've always paid.

which is slightly hypocritical considering your earlier slamming of people doing essentially the same thing

And everybody got on their high horse saying that they'd never and have never done it. Sure.

you've clearly suggested that you WOULD break a contract for the right amount of money (your $1000/$1 example you've kept throwing out there).

No one here is blocking you because you have an "opinion" differing from theirs. :facepalm: Again, you're using that as a red herring to shift attention from the real reason you might be blocked for doing business with individuals here. If they're blocking you, I'll guess it's for the reason I bolded in my quote above. They -- nor I -- want to deal with the hassle of a buyer -- or seller -- who may or may not follow through with a purchase to buy/sell depending on the financial incentive for them to break a contract of sale. This has absolutely nothing to do with expressing your opinion - but are simply the ramifications that result from what the results for those sellers/buyers would be if you follow through on actions derived from that opinion, which your own words suggest strongly you would do (despite protestations to the contrary) through the use of your "examples". (shrug)

And you are entitled to do so.

However, you are blocking me based on my opinion and not actions.

So have at it.

Since you didn't quote who this was directed to -- and since at least two people here have publicly stated that you're on their "do not deal with" list now. with another number of people having for all intents and purposes implied the same without necessarily stating it outright (all of whom, BTW, I believe I've dealt with in one fashion or another in transactions before that all went fantastic, and all of whom are top-notch people to deal with, so ... (shrug) ) -- I'll answer this, in case it was directed to me.

I'll quote myself, in case you didn't actually read it:

In simpler terms, despite your own claim to a moral high horse with this quote

which is slightly hypocritical considering your earlier slamming of people doing essentially the same thing

And everybody got on their high horse saying that they'd never and have never done it. Sure.

you've clearly suggested that you WOULD break a contract for the right amount of money (your $1000/$1 example you've kept throwing out there).

No one here is blocking you because you have an "opinion" differing from theirs. :facepalm: Again, you're using that as a red herring to shift attention from the real reason you might be blocked for doing business with individuals here. If they're blocking you, I'll guess it's for the reason I bolded in my quote above. They -- nor I -- want to deal with the hassle of a buyer -- or seller -- who may or may not follow through with a purchase to buy/sell depending on the financial incentive for them to break a contract of sale. This has absolutely nothing to do with expressing your opinion - but are simply the ramifications that result from what the results for those sellers/buyers would be if you follow through on actions derived from that opinion, which your own words suggest strongly you would do (despite protestations to the contrary) through the use of your "examples". (shrug)

Whatever.

You are entitled to do it.

So you've done it. You have your reasons.

I don't agree with them because I didn't do anything wrong.

But once again. Enjoy.

Whatever.

You are entitled to do it.

So you've done it. You have your reasons.

I don't agree with them because I didn't do anything wrong.

But once again. Enjoy.

Certainly. Since you've dealt with hypotheticals, let's see if you'll answer one.

You offer a book for sale here on the boards. It's a $1000 book based on current GPA, driven mostly by movie-hype. I enter into an agreement to buy the book with you on a time payment -- $100 today, and $100 for the following 9 months. You agree to this arrangement.

Five months later, after I've put $500 into the book with you, the book has lost the movie hype steam and now sells in exactly that $500 range. Other sellers on eBay or here are offering that same book for $500. And -- lo and behold -- you've started a new sales thread here and are offering a new copy of the same book, but in the identical condition grade, page quality, etc. -- for $500.

I go to you and demand that you sell me the book I originally offered to buy from you at $1000 for the $500 I've already paid. What's your reply?

You can always come up with a 'reason' to justify any action.

'What if you paid $10,000,000 for a picasso and suddenly all interest in picasso evaporated because it was discovered he was a really bad person and the item went down ton $10 WOULD YOU STILL PAY??? HUH??? WOULDJA?????

how about we stick with the actual scenario here which was like a $20 variance in price. and its a move to back out. period.