• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBAY: BLOCKED USER LIST
54 54

8,596 posts in this topic

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 6:57 PM, Bird said:

I thought blocking also blocked messages but I learned that is incorrect when the army guy kept asking for the veteran's discount. I am grateful for his service and all but trying to trade on it for a discount on comics is (tsk)

The opinion of this particular OEF veteran -- don't trust the "look at me, I'm a veteran, give me stuff!" types.  I've found that they're often professional sob story spinners, grossly exaggerating their service, and/or outright lying.  One particular guy I was deployed with got real into playing up how he was this great disabled combat vet once we got home.  Of course I know firsthand that he spent about 85% of our time overseas behind a desk and the only combat that he or anyone else in our unit saw was on TV.  But when you need something to blame for your drinking problem and failed marriage...there you go.

Plenty of businesses out there give military discounts and the VA, for all its faults, does have some great benefits for veterans.  So playing the vet card to wrangle an extra 10% out of a guy selling funny books on eBay just doesn't sit well with me. 

11 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

One particular guy I was deployed with got real into playing up how he was this great disabled combat vet once we got home.  Of course I know firsthand that he spent about 85% of our time overseas behind a desk and the only combat that he or anyone else in our unit saw was on TV.

this is a form of stolen valor IMO

atm4720

Another entitled whiner who is offended that someone won't sell him his comic for what he wants to pay.

From his offers, final offer was "$1" on a $45 listing:

"It was a free comic book. Why do you want so much money?"

"They were complimentary at the Image Expo. If anything, you paid $5. And it's only a 9.8 after grading. Not just because you say so. Good luck ripping someone else off."

(not free, only "complimentary" if you bought the ticket, not relevant either way.)

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

atm4720

Another entitled whiner who is offended that someone won't sell him his comic for what he wants to pay.

From his offers, final offer was "$1" on a $45 listing:

"It was a free comic book. Why do you want so much money?"

"They were complimentary at the Image Expo. If anything, you paid $5. And it's only a 9.8 after grading. Not just because you say so. Good luck ripping someone else off."

(not free, only "complimentary" if you bought the ticket, not relevant either way.)

I would question anyone with a name with atm. :p

Seller: scroogenightmare (Feedback score 2477)

It is up to each of you to make your own decisions as to who you feel comfortable buying from.  As for me, I am uncomfortable buying from someone who has a single "bidder" who apparently has a 97% bid activity with the same seller and bids on 101 items a total of 302 times, with a dozen bid retractions.

Bidder Information

Bidder: s.gif0***es.gif( 331Feedback score is 100 to 499) s.gif

30-Day Summary
Total bids: s.gif302
Items bid on: s.gif101
Bid activity (%) with this seller: s.gif97% s.gifHelp
Bid retractions: s.gif2
Bid retractions (6 months):

s.gif12

:  

2 hours ago, Hudson said:

It is up to each of you to make your own decisions as to who you feel comfortable buying from.  As for me, I am uncomfortable buying from someone who has a single "bidder" who apparently has a 97% bid activity with the same seller and bids on 101 items a total of 302 times, with a dozen bid retractions.

Bidder Information

30-Day Summary

s.gif12

:  

scroogennightmare is another user ID of Mark Wilson in Washington state.  I've bought from him several times, but I do have trouble winning anything, as his books go for high prices, especially when he doesn't attach a grade to many of his auctions.  The stuff I've won has been extremely nice.  However, most of the really good (CGC'd) stuff appears under userid pgcmint.

3 hours ago, Hudson said:

Bidder Information

30-Day Summary

s.gif12

:  

Interesting info.  I while back I bought a raw FC 386 from this seller and thought the price I paid was reasonable.  Will be more diligent in looking at the bid activity go-forward though.

11 minutes ago, MustEatBrains said:

Interesting info.  I while back I bought a raw FC 386 from this seller and thought the price I paid was reasonable.  Will be more diligent in looking at the bid activity go-forward though.

I'm sure I've bought from him before which scares me given the bid history outlined above. If he's on the boards an explanation would be necessary for me to bid again. Schilling is no bueno. 

37 minutes ago, Hudson said:
8 hours ago, lizards2 said:

scroogennightmare is another user ID of Mark Wilson in Washington state.  I've bought from him several times, but I do have trouble winning anything, as his books go for high prices, especially when he doesn't attach a grade to many of his auctions.  The stuff I've won has been extremely nice.  However, most of the really good (CGC'd) stuff appears under userid pgcmint.

Thank you, for this additional information.  I did not know this was Mark.

I have been watching this "seller" since December 2016, when I was about to bid on a book and saw what I believed to be an "unusual" bid history.  I ended up deciding NOT to bid on the book that night (even though I really wanted the book) and to occasionally check in on the seller, to see if this "unusual" bidding activity continued. 

If this is Mark, then I am glad to know this, so that I can avoid doing ANY business with him, unless of course he wants to come on here and provide an acceptable explanation as to the "bidding activity".  I am certainly more than happy to listen.

Shilling is hard to determine.  I bid in a manner that many find strange. 

I've had several sellers block me, with the only explanation that I can think of is that I appear to bid like shill, as I've always paid promptly for everything I've won. 

I'll take a look at the bidding on the next round of auctions, and see what I think. 

Do you recall the December 2016 auction items?  It might have been me. (shrug)

3 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Shilling is hard to determine.  I bid in a manner that many find strange. 

I've had several sellers block me, with the only explanation that I can think of is that I appear to bid like shill, as I've always paid promptly for everything I've won. 

I'll take a look at the bidding on the next round of auctions, and see what I think. 

Do you recall the December 2016 auction items?  It might have been me. (shrug)

I agree that shilling is sometimes hard to see and someone with the positive feedback of scroogenightmare has earned  the benefit of the doubt. So I sent scroogenightmare a message through eBay drawing his attention to this thread. As I previously mentioned I am sure I have bought some books from him in the past. He responded quickly.  I've cut and pasted his responses from newest to oldest.  Personally I'll bid on his auctions again but, per usual, only at a price point I'm comfortable paying.

New message from: scroogenightmare (2,477Red Star)

Hi again John,
I did a little sleuthing and here is what I came up with.
And it all has to do with their method of biding, which seems to have 
created the perceived controversy.

Most bidders use the count down clock and bid in the final seconds.
While other bidders use a system called "Snipe Bid", where a company makes a 
bid for them in the final seconds.
But then there are a some bidders who try and figure out what the highest bid
is, by making a very high bid on an item and then they cancel the bids. This gives them
the information they are after before making their final bid in the closing seconds.

I do NOT like to see any bids cancelled but I have absolutely no control of what a
bidder will do. But the most important point is that their bids are legitimate and have 
nothing to do with me. It is just a bidding system that this particular bidder uses. 
Since the ebay system allows for a bidder to do this, it is used by some as a method,
as opposed to removing a mistake bid. I hope this makes sense to you, that I conveyed
what is happening correctly. 

I am not on the Boards any longer, so feel free to post this.

New message from: scroogenightmare (2,477Red Star)

Hi John
Of course you can copy and paste my response.

And I figured out the bidder's ID by your findings. He is a very consistent customer that
took a pile of books to a convention and had CGC grade them. Every single book
that I sold him came back blue label and close to grade but he was upset that 
many books from other sources came back restored or well below listed grade.
Consequently he buys from me on a continual basis.
The pressure is on me to make sure I count pages, perform a restoration check, 
and assign a fair grade on each and every book I sell. And I do this for a $5 book
or a $500 book because the books will outlive us all and no one knows which $5
book will become a future treasure. 
I also pack with extreme care, which buyers appreciate. 
If you treat a customer with respect and fairly, they will come back again and again.

So while the Boards may be suspect and go off in suspicions, the truth is that this 
bidder is treated with respect on each and every order he purchases. And that is 
the reason for his bidding. 

Mark

Your previous message

Hello. That's why I gave you a heads up. Unfortunately I can't see the bidders identity either but here is his bidding history. Can I copy and paste your response? John

30-Day Summary

scroogenightmare:

Hi John,
I am not sure of the identity of the bidder you are referring to because I see
the entire name and not the partial letters and ***. But I will state this very
clearly to you or anyone else:
Never once has there ever been shilling bids on any of my auctions since
I began on ebay. I will not allow that and consequently loose money on 
at least 25% of my auctions each and every week. It is part of the business
and I understand that.
But the bidder you mention or any other bidder that continually bids on my auctions,
do so because they know I will always be honest with them. Several of my customers 
have tested me several times by sending in his books to CGC and they have all come 
back blue label and within a very close parameter of grade. Consequently the bidder
in question (as well as other customers) bid every week on my auctions.

I realize that the CGC Boards can go off in multiple directions and gossip can be absolutely
terrible, hurtful, demoralizing, and wrong. Supposed "facts" are positions of thought and
never thoroughly examined before judged. For that reason I gave up on the boards about
3 years ago. That is my personal choice.
But to sum this up, there has never been nor will there ever be even a single 
shill bid on any of my auctions. 

Mark

Your previous message

Hello. I know I've bought from you before. Thought I'd give you a heads up that the bidding activity of o***e(331) is very suspect and is the basis of a thread ion the CGC boards discussing possible schilling of your auctions. Lot of buyers there that take this very seriously. If you have a response I can share it there. Thanks John

Thanks for the research.  I do know from bidding on those books that they go for high dollar amount.  I rarely win anything because I'm a

Screen Shot 2017-06-20 at 8.05.57 AM.png

But I do know, what I've won has been outstanding.