• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBAY: BLOCKED USER LIST
54 54

8,586 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Because they're "NOT decent OR human" 

Very, very sad.  Just the numeric 129, 181 and 300 are enough to divert attention to their listing.  Thank you for pointing this out so clearly as I can now see why certain junk shows up on my filters when I never wanted that.  

Two things here though;. Does this ever actually work?  I mean the variance between turning people off and increased sales.  Are there notable differences??  I ask this because the eBay platform "suggests" you make these change to your listing.  You could be listing a Batman book and they will still suggest a Spiderman link....you could be listing a VF/NM book and eBay suggests you link it to NM+.  I have never done that as that is not what I am selling....but it seems to me that eBay encourages and enables these kinds of transactions.  

When you think about it, the more sales the better for them as that is how they get paid....the ultimate turnover ruse exemplified electronically.  

In its minutiae and aggregate.....this really explains quite a bit.

Edited by Mapleleafvann

I'm inspired now.  I think for my next eBay listing I'll just go with an all spam title...

181 129 CGC 300 1 GS PGX SS 27 31 14 94 (those guys) NM Mint 10.0 9.9 9.8 Stan Lee 

...and when all is said and done, I'll be selling a Dr. Strange King Size #1.  In 2.0 condition.  Victory is mine!

1 minute ago, mattn792 said:

I'm inspired now.  I think for my next eBay listing I'll just go with an all spam title...

181 129 CGC 300 1 GS PGX SS 27 31 14 94 (those guys) NM Mint 10.0 9.9 9.8 Stan Lee 

...and when all is said and done, I'll be selling a Dr. Strange King Size #1.  In 2.0 condition.  Victory is mine!

Or better yet, sell some Spam with spam words in the auction title.

In addition to blocking a buyer from bidding on your auctions, is there some way to block them from messaging you as well?

Also - and I know this makes me sound like a snowflake - but is there some way to report a eBay user for harassment if they haven't actually bid on/won any of your items?

I've got a bit of a pest and my patience is beginning to wear thin. 

Edited by Number 6

16 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Yeah... that's pretty annoying.  The only times I ever say, I understand why they did that is if it has something to do with the book itself... like this 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MARVEL-TEAM-UP-141-CGC-9-6-NM-WP-1ST-BLACK-COSTUME-TIES-WITH-ASM-252-/182882334679

Marvel Team Up 141... person makes mention of ASM 252... but to me that is perfectly fine because even CGC makes that notation on the book and they are related as such.  On top of that. For someone that does not know about MTU141 that is a nice way to find out while you are looking for 252. 

28 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

In addition to blocking a buyer from bidding on your auctions, is there some way to block them from messaging you as well?

Also - and I know this makes me sound like a snowflake - but is there some way to report a eBay user for harassment if they haven't actually bid on/won any of your items?

Yes, there is a way to prevent blocked bidders from messaging you.  You have to change your personal preferences under your account.

There is a menu for "site preferences", within that.... a menu for "Buyer requirements" .... click edit on that option.  At the bottom of the menu will be this option:

Don't allow blocked buyers to contact me. (Buyer won't see the "Contact Seller" button on your Q&A page.) Note: Buyers can still contact you about existing transactions, unless you add them to your blocked list.

Click the box to check it off and wala!

46 minutes ago, Red_Hood said:

Yes, there is a way to prevent blocked bidders from messaging you.  You have to change your personal preferences under your account.

There is a menu for "site preferences", within that.... a menu for "Buyer requirements" .... click edit on that option.  At the bottom of the menu will be this option:

Don't allow blocked buyers to contact me. (Buyer won't see the "Contact Seller" button on your Q&A page.) Note: Buyers can still contact you about existing transactions, unless you add them to your blocked list.

Click the box to check it off and wala!

Thanks for the response, though it doesn't actually work, at least for me.

I already had that option checked and blocked this buyer after his 2nd message  He's now on message 5 accusing me of being a thief and admonishing me to stick things in certain places.

Kind of makes me question whether the blocked bidder function actually works at all.

I love how eBay only allows you to report a seller for using profanity/vulgarity in a listing; apparently buyers are free to use eBay's messaging system for profanity/vulgarity all they want.

*sigh* eBay....

Edited by Number 6

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

I already had that option checked and blocked this buyer after his 2nd message  He's now on message 5 accusing me of being a thief and admonishing me to stick things in certain places.

Kind of makes me question whether the blocked bidder function actually works at all.

I love how eBay only allows you to report a seller for using profanity/vulgarity in a listing; apparently buyers are free to use eBay's messaging system for profanity/vulgarity all they want.

*sigh* eBay....

Geez...that is annoying.

I think if you click on the person's profile there might be an option to report him and just simply comment that eBay needs to read his messages that he has sent you.

They can go in and look at it.  Although it's likely they won't care but if he is breaking a policy they may do something.

It's hard to believe how the internet has created a society of entitled I_diots that the commerce world has never seen before.

2 hours ago, Number 6 said:

*sigh* eBay....

Not true.  If you want you can call eBay directly and give them permission to review private messages. They will read you a -script asking if you understand that a member of the eBay customer service team is going to review messages yadda yadda yadda... then they look and see. 

I had some crazy taken care of that way last year.  Interestingly he must have had a habit of it because he was later NARU'd.  This meant that he must have had a prior history of problems and I was the straw that broke the camel's back.  

9 hours ago, Number 6 said:

yes - it is possible. If someone contacts you - it is most often linked with an item number. If justified - you call ebay and ask for eBay Account Security team. They will ask you for an item number and based on that they can review the entire correspondence. They are very friendly and take harassment and profanity seriously

Edited by Poka
spelling

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 2:44 PM, Mapleleafvann said:

Very, very sad.  Just the numeric 129, 181 and 300 are enough to divert attention to their listing.  Thank you for pointing this out so clearly as I can now see why certain junk shows up on my filters when I never wanted that.  

Two things here though;. Does this ever actually work?  I mean the variance between turning people off and increased sales.  Are there notable differences??  I ask this because the eBay platform "suggests" you make these change to your listing.  You could be listing a Batman book and they will still suggest a Spiderman link....you could be listing a VF/NM book and eBay suggests you link it to NM+.  I have never done that as that is not what I am selling....but it seems to me that eBay encourages and enables these kinds of transactions.  

When you think about it, the more sales the better for them as that is how they get paid....the ultimate turnover ruse exemplified electronically.  

In its minutiae and aggregate.....this really explains quite a bit.

Honestly - don't think it works. I used it for some of my earlier listings as a trial but stopped using it some time ago. Have not experienced any noticeable difference since then. Just hadn't taken the time to revise those listings until now. 

I don't mind to get corrected but there is a decent way to do it

On 2/24/2018 at 1:53 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

This has been discussed at length on Voldemort's board, so this isn't a new issue. There's a contingent there (as there has been at times here) that don't think the rules apply to them, and don't really give two shots about it. And if you say anything about it, you are the jerk for not minding your own business. 

There are 1,349 listings, as of this moment, that are "like CGC" (or Voldermort/The other guy), which means that someone looking for the other is going to have to wade through items they weren't searching for to find the ones they are.

Keyword spamming hurts every seller who plays by the rules. It clogs up listings with irrelevant results, and frustrates buyers. I don't bother with reporting much on eBay, because eBay doesn't generally give a damn, as evidenced by the massive amount of keyword spammed listings, but that doesn't mean it doesn't do damage. The keyword spammers are like those who park in handicapped parking spots without a tag. Is it a serious crime? No, of course not. But does it represent a Cartman style "I do what I want!" attitude that makes life just that much less pleasant? Yup. They don't see the problem with it, and it helps them, so why do you have a problem with it, huh...?

Got your points and the listings have been revised. However, it is not acceptable when the person uses profanities and gets personal. That crosses my line.

Edited by Poka
Spelling

On 2/24/2018 at 12:18 PM, Patriot6 said:

Plus blocking someone for returning a slab that was scratched and not listed as such, then being POd by it to the point of blocking the buyer and 'outing' him here for something which is completely reasonable. 

Got some of that Charlie Sheen winning tiger blood in here today. 

Which is precisely the purpose of this thread. Sharing details about events so others can make their own assessment whether it is a buyer one would wish to block or not. I don’t block every person shared in this forum - nor would I expect others to block every bidders I am mentioning.

Same thing - I have stopped blocking bidders because of non-payments as there is a max in the block bidders list and I would prefer to use the list for people who are fraudsters and let ebay rule of 2 non-payments within last 12 months take care of the non-payers.

Btw - did not notice any scratches when I shipped the slab although there is a slight possibility that I might have missed it but don’t think so. The buyer has got the shipping label but has to date not returned it!

Edited by Poka

10 hours ago, Poka said:

Honestly - don't think it works. I used it for some of my earlier listings as a trial but stopped using it some time ago. Have not experienced any noticeable difference since then. Just hadn't taken the time to revise those listings until now. 

I don't mind to get corrected but there is a decent way to do it

That's good to know--thanks for sharing as well as updating your listings!