• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBAY: BLOCKED USER LIST
54 54

8,586 posts in this topic

Here's a seller I'll never deal with again: 

gatehousesports

I purchased what looked like a nice copy of Web of Horror #3 from them. When it arrived, it had significant damage to the spine. I immediately notified the seller and requested a return. The seller responded by asking me for photos of the book. I took photos of the book and sent the pictures back to them. They responded by saying that since the damage didn't appear to be shipping damage, they wouldn't accept the return. They also said that the pictures I sent them didn't look like the book they sent me, basically accusing me of fraud. I responded to them by explaining that I've been dealing on eBay since 1998 and I highly value my reputation. I maintain 100% positive feedback, and anyone that has dealt with me knows I stand behind everything I sell (unlike this seller). I explained that it most certainly was their book, and it most certainly was damaged, probably in shipping. Next thing I knew, they closed the case and haven't responded to me since then. 

I don't like to leave negative feedback, but I did for this seller.  

There is a somewhat happy ending, however. I have a very good friend I work with that loves comics and comic artwork. He isn't fussy about condition---he just loves to read comics. And Web #3 is such a great issue to read, with art and stories by Wrightson, Brunner, Reese and Kaluta. So I gave him the book, which made both of us very happy...  :) 

Edited by The Lions Den

1 hour ago, Gaard said:

What exactly does this mean? Are they just going to ask him what's up?

From what the ebay rep conveyed they are going to investigate to see how long the seller has been doing this bait and switch and either shut down their ability to sell on Ebay completely or impose some sort of sanctions limiting their selling ability.  What that limitation entails I am unsure.  Either way buyer beware of that one for sure.  I have reviewed their negatives and a few positives and it seems it is this seller's modus operandi.

2 hours ago, Crops068 said:

From what the ebay rep conveyed they are going to investigate to see how long the seller has been doing this bait and switch and either shut down their ability to sell on Ebay completely or impose some sort of sanctions limiting their selling ability.  What that limitation entails I am unsure.  Either way buyer beware of that one for sure.  I have reviewed their negatives and a few positives and it seems it is this seller's modus operandi.

that would be a first

Steer clear of briber20

He posts raffle type listings with a 6.0 Ms. Marvel picture.  He changed the description AND pictures after the purchase was made, offers no returns, and for $20 sent a Avenging Spider-Man #10.  Shame on me no doubt but I promise you the description and pictures used when I made the purchase were completely different.  ALSO, the pictures the seller added don't show the comic he sent me; if he would of sent me a book from one of the two pictures, this post would never of happened.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Grab-bag-Ms-Marvel-1-1977-CGC-6-0-1st-appearance-Carol-Danvers-as-Ms-Marvel/362665208114?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemRevisionDetails&item=362665208114&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2569

Edited by sagekilz

1 hour ago, mattn792 said:

Has there ever been a book raffle held that wasn't a scam?

I won an old Yankee's card at a baseball game that was a raffle type game where you buy a grab bag and if there is a paper with a number in it you win the numbered prize.  I was the last customer and I am sure they thought they had gotten away with not giving out any of the "good stuff".  I showed them!

Ebay sellers though, no way I am trusting those at all.

22 hours ago, sagekilz said:

Steer clear of briber20

He posts raffle type listings with a 6.0 Ms. Marvel picture.  He changed the description AND pictures after the purchase was made, offers no returns, and for $20 sent a Avenging Spider-Man #10.  Shame on me no doubt but I promise you the description and pictures used when I made the purchase were completely different.  ALSO, the pictures the seller added don't show the comic he sent me; if he would of sent me a book from one of the two pictures, this post would never of happened.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Grab-bag-Ms-Marvel-1-1977-CGC-6-0-1st-appearance-Carol-Danvers-as-Ms-Marvel/362665208114?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemRevisionDetails&item=362665208114&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2569

Update: seller offered a return and I reported the listing to eBay.

On 4/29/2019 at 5:23 PM, Number 6 said:

Oh boy, I got a real nutter. 

I recently posted some Incredible Hulk comics using the variations feature - multiple single issues are posted using a single listing, the buyer picks which issues he wishes to purchase using a drop-down menu. 

Last Wednesday I sold a copy of What If #2 in NM condition. The buyer received it today and immediately sent me 8 messages. 

This is the first message at 2:42 pm:

"What happened to this book? I was under the impression i was buying a Near Mint (9.2 - 9.4) book. This book has major damage along the back spine. Obviously it was pressed and the temperature of the press was WAY to high and/or not enough time in the humidity tank before the press. The cover and splash page were stuck together and the back cover page is cracking sound. Plus, with this kind of spine with the staples are on the inside of the book, you cannot put too much pressure from the press on the spine because the staples will be smashed out of pages. Are these original staples? They do not look like it, but this is the 1st time I’ve had this book. I will order another to see. The big issue is the HUGE DENT along the entire back cvr spine. How did you send this and think this was ok? Im ok with a bit of infractions that can be press out, but this? Come on, man.. lol"

The next 4 messages include pictures of what he believes to be wrong with the book. 

I respond that I did not press the book, to my knowledge the book is unpressed. What he seems to be describing is common issues with these larger books from the 70's with glued-on covers. I inform him he can return the book for a full refund if not satisfied. 

His 5th message at 2:58 pm:

"This book is low to mid grade at best with the huge dent along the back spine and the staple rip on the inside. The front cover can be fixed...

I am figuring out if these staples are original, because if they are not... Makes sense why they look so different and their is a rip. If they are, cool, but the press jacked them smashed them to ripping and the splash page is almost dislodged"

I respond and ask him to please not mess with book anymore to try and figure out what is "wrong" with the book or to try and "fix" it. I reinterate to simply send the book back for a full refund. 

His next two messages at 3:00 pm and 3:03 pm:

"WHERE R THE OTHER BOOKS???"

"Hey man... There is only 1 book (what if 2) where are the others????"

I try to explain the nature of a listing with variations and how he only purchased one book (I would think that would be fairly obvious since he had to pick one book from a drop-down menu)

Keep in mind that my three responses were sent after I had received his first 8 messages. 

At 4:15 pm I get his first reply to my first response:

"I am NOT displeased with the book, I am VERY displeased that you marked it NM- to NM+ when the huge dent on the side destroys those grades. I have many of these Bronze Age Spines and NON of them have a 9"x 1/2"x1/16" dent on the side of the spine from top to bottom back page...

You Duped Me!"

At 4:18 pm I get his reply to my second response:

"WHO THE SAID I WAS MESSING WITH THE BOOK TO FIX IT??? I SAID I CAN FIX IT BUT I NEED TO FIND OUT IF THE STAPLES ARE ORIGINAL!!!! YOU HAVE SERIOUSLY TEED ME OFF!!! TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE, MISLEADING AD SASYING IT IS NM- TO NM+ AND IT IS NOT CLOSE AND NOW YOU ARE ACCUSING ME OF mess? OH MAN..."

I reply to this temper-tantrum that regardless of whether he's dissatisfied with book or my description of it, whether he thinks the staples are original or not, he can simply initiate a return with eBay, pack the book up securely and return it for a full refund. 

At 4:21 pm I receive this message:

"Ok I see that ...thanks"

Apparently that's an acknowledgement of my explanation of a listing with variations. 

At 4:24 pm I get this message:

"With the you just pulled sending this piece of trash you call NM- to NM+... I am SHOCKED you treat people like this. When you make mistakes, clearly you did, BE NICE and show the customer you care about their satisfaction. Do not accuse me of something I never said or did. YOU DID THIS! YOU LIED AND YOU DECIDED TO TALK WHEN I ASKED.!!!"

To this I simply repeated for him to initiate a return with eBay, pack securely and return for a full refund. 

At 4:30 pm I receive his latest message:

"I will do so .. and I have a purchase policy.. Send me a WAY over graded book then treat me like a dog.. YOU GET NEGATIVE FEEDBACK!

Laterz"

Keep in mind, this is all over a $15 book. 

comics_collectables_galore

Intersstingly, he was very rapid-fire with the messages and yet it's been an hour since his last message and he has yet to leave his threatened negative feedback (though I'm sure he will). I guess I'm expected to grovel....or something?

since he threatened neg feedback if he leaves it merely call ebay and they will remove.  that was an amateur move on his part.

On 6/4/2019 at 7:27 AM, sagekilz said:

Update: seller offered a return and I reported the listing to eBay.

I have reported raffle listings to ebay by phone and online as well as fundraiser listings.  They have never ever removed any of the listings I reported.  They always act all concerned on the phone and omg thanks for notifying us!!  but-NOPE.

ebay user ID: mrcandido

Wins $3,000 book at auction

Waste of Time: "Wow. I have never seen it sell at this grade for such a low price. I will send payment this evening or tomorrow morning."

Us: Yes you got a great deal! Thanks for your business. Will send the book within 1 business day of receiving payment.

Waste of Time: Hi there. You are probably not going to believe this but even though I got lucky with this auction, on my way home I was extremely unlucky as my car sustained heavy damage from a piece of flying debris that damaged my windshield. Alberta insurance does not cover the cost of glass replacement so I am on the hook for $900 for the glass damage plus the labour costs. Alberta does not permit you to drive with a damaged windshield so I have to make this repair immediately or I will be without a vehicle. I am gutted but I cannot afford to pay for this damage on top of this item at the same time and must request to cancel the transaction. I am devastated as I have saved all year to get a CGC copy of BatB #28 at a good price. Believe me even after putting in the Cancellation Request and with all this going on, I still tried to find a way to scrape together the extra funds together to make up the total but there's just no way at this time. I apologize profusely.

58 minutes ago, gregreece said:

ebay user ID: mrcandido

Wins $3,000 book at auction

Waste of Time: "Wow. I have never seen it sell at this grade for such a low price. I will send payment this evening or tomorrow morning."

Us: Yes you got a great deal! Thanks for your business. Will send the book within 1 business day of receiving payment.

Waste of Time: Hi there. You are probably not going to believe this but even though I got lucky with this auction, on my way home I was extremely unlucky as my car sustained heavy damage from a piece of flying debris that damaged my windshield. Alberta insurance does not cover the cost of glass replacement so I am on the hook for $900 for the glass damage plus the labour costs. Alberta does not permit you to drive with a damaged windshield so I have to make this repair immediately or I will be without a vehicle. I am gutted but I cannot afford to pay for this damage on top of this item at the same time and must request to cancel the transaction. I am devastated as I have saved all year to get a CGC copy of BatB #28 at a good price. Believe me even after putting in the Cancellation Request and with all this going on, I still tried to find a way to scrape together the extra funds together to make up the total but there's just no way at this time. I apologize profusely.

I will never understand how people can try buy expensive items like this and then a hiccup will make it so they can't live for the month.

I actually believe the guy because I've had people in my life who do this exact same thing, just not with comics.

Probably a good idea to block him for his own well being.

Edited by Logan510

Not sure if this is block worthy, but I found it annoying enough to block them.

Had a buyer ask to return a book after 24 days because the customer ( flip ) they bought it for has bailed on the deal. Not sure what the protocol here is ( I'm taking the return, eBay makes me as punishment for being a top rated seller ), but I can't imagine buying a book to flip and it not going the way I wanted so asking the original seller to take it back. Seems kind of lame to me.

eBay ID:

essenceofloveus

1 minute ago, Logan510 said:

I will never understand how people can try buy expensive items like this and then a hiccup will make it so they can't live for the month.

I actually believe the guy because I've had people in my life who do this exact same thing, just not with comics.

Probably a good idea to block him for his own well being.

That buyer's excuse is total BS.  Even if it were true let's do the math.  

He committed to buy a $3,000 US book.  His windshield cost him the equivalent of $700 US.  That should still leave him with $2,300 US to put towards this book with the the promise that he pays the balance within say x weeks.

Just now, pemart1966 said:

That buyer's excuse is total BS.  Even if it were true let's do the math.  

He committed to buy a $3,000 US book.  His windshield cost him the equivalent of $700 US.  That should still leave him with $2,300 US to put towards this book with the the promise that he pays the balance within say x weeks.

He's probably lying, but I know enough idjits who don't know how to budget properly that it wouldn't surprise me if it's true.

Even as a small timer I get the occasional buyer asking me to sell them something at "their price" because it's all they can afford to pay in order to live that month.

I have no problem telling those people that maybe, just maybe they shouldn't be worried about buying slabbed comic books...especially considering that it's normally something like $200 that will make it so they can't cover their nut for the month. If I did that my wife would probably leave me.

1 hour ago, Logan510 said:

Not sure if this is block worthy, but I found it annoying enough to block them.

Had a buyer ask to return a book after 24 days because the customer ( flip ) they bought it for has bailed on the deal. Not sure what the protocol here is ( I'm taking the return, eBay makes me as punishment for being a top rated seller ), but I can't imagine buying a book to flip and it not going the way I wanted so asking the original seller to take it back. Seems kind of lame to me.

eBay ID:

essenceofloveus

I'd say that's more than annoying. Not only is it nearly a month since purchase, if done through PayPal you have to eat 3% "return fee", right?