• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBAY: BLOCKED USER LIST
54 54

8,583 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

One of my favorite meltdowns... :cloud9:

Remember when he said "Of course I shill my auctions to get the best price and the buyer gets a nice book!!  Thats how it works!!!!"
ebay did not agree that that was how it worked when that post was forwarded to them-

15 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

Is that really that bad LOL? I mean I have made offers (as a buyer) to people on eBay and also noted that I am on the CGC Chat boards and give them my name here.  I don't say lets do a deal through here but it's sort of implied :roflmao:.  It's worked out a few times where we were both (buyer/seller) happy.

Of course the buyer and seller in this case were happy.  At least one of them received some form of discount and neither of them were being shortchanged.  Ebay was.  In the instance you presented, the buyer used eBay's infrastructure to find an item and connect with a seller...a connection that may not have been made in the absence of ebay.  At this point, both parties decided to cut ebay out of the picture, essentially refusing to pay for the service that was already used.  

This is similar to using Paypal's "Friends & Family" or "Personal" payments to pay for items online.  Both cases involve breaking the company's Terms of Service and using a service without paying for it.  Both cases are tantamount to theft only instead of goods, it's a service that's being stolen. 

Between practices like these and general media piracy, I often hear the same excuses:  "Is it really that bad?"  "The company already assumes a certain amount of this stuff will happen.  It's the cost of doing business".  "This company makes enough money".  "It's not hurting anyone".  "They practically owe me this for giving them so much business over the years".

Rationalize it any way you want.  It's wrong.

1 hour ago, Turtle said:

Of course the buyer and seller in this case were happy.  At least one of them received some form of discount and neither of them were being shortchanged.  Ebay was.  In the instance you presented, the buyer used eBay's infrastructure to find an item and connect with a seller...a connection that may not have been made in the absence of ebay.  At this point, both parties decided to cut ebay out of the picture, essentially refusing to pay for the service that was already used.  

This is similar to using Paypal's "Friends & Family" or "Personal" payments to pay for items online.  Both cases involve breaking the company's Terms of Service and using a service without paying for it.  Both cases are tantamount to theft only instead of goods, it's a service that's being stolen. 

Between practices like these and general media piracy, I often hear the same excuses:  "Is it really that bad?"  "The company already assumes a certain amount of this stuff will happen.  It's the cost of doing business".  "This company makes enough money".  "It's not hurting anyone".  "They practically owe me this for giving them so much business over the years".

Rationalize it any way you want.  It's wrong.

So if I see a slab on eBay that I want that MCS is selling I shouldn’t  go to their web site to buy it directly is what your saying? 

6 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

So if I see a slab on eBay that I want that MCS is selling I shouldn’t  go to their web site to buy it directly is what your saying? 

That's not at all what I'm saying.  That's also not the scenario you framed. 

1 minute ago, Xenosmilus said:

It is, I found an item on eBay and I did a deal with the seller outside of eBay for the item. 

No, your original scenario involved giving the ebay seller your board name and then doing a deal on the boards instead of ebay.  Here's what you said:

I have made offers (as a buyer) to people on eBay and also noted that I am on the CGC Chat boards and give them my name here. I don't say lets do a deal through here but it's sort of implied :roflmao:.  It's worked out a few times where we were both (buyer/seller) happy.

You only make reference to ebay and the CGC boards.  You never mention a 3rd party site/dealer.  If you'd like, we can discuss the nature of a wide variety of scenarios.  It won't change the fact that the one you presented initially is against eBay's Terms of Service.  You even recognize that it's wrong, at least a little, by saying:

Is that really that bad LOL?

Feel free to keep backpedaling. 

9 minutes ago, Turtle said:

No, your original scenario involved giving the ebay seller your board name and then doing a deal on the boards instead of ebay.  Here's what you said:

I have made offers (as a buyer) to people on eBay and also noted that I am on the CGC Chat boards and give them my name here. I don't say lets do a deal through here but it's sort of implied :roflmao:.  It's worked out a few times where we were both (buyer/seller) happy.

You only make reference to ebay and the CGC boards.  You never mention a 3rd party site/dealer.  If you'd like, we can discuss the nature of a wide variety of scenarios.  It won't change the fact that the one you presented initially is against eBay's Terms of Service.  You even recognize that it's wrong, at least a little, by saying:

Is that really that bad LOL?

Feel free to keep backpedaling. 

I’m not backpedaling, I giving a similar example that you deemed acceptable but when it comes down to it, it’s the same. i.e. You see an item on eBay you want and you go around eBay to get it. You made a general statement that if you find an item on eBay you want it’s wrong to cut eBay out of the sale because you found that item through eBay. So that implies that if you find an item on eBay and that seller has a website, it’s not OK to go to the sellers  website to make the purchase and cut eBay out of the deal.

Edited by Xenosmilus

1 minute ago, Xenosmilus said:

I’m not backpedaling, I giving a similar example that you deemed acceptable but when it comes down to it, it’s the same. i.e. You see an item on eBay you want and you go around eBay to get it. You made a general statement that if you find an item on eBay you want it’s wrong to cut eBay out of the sale because you found that item through eBay. So that implies that if you find an item on eBay and that seller has a website, it’s OK to go to the sellers  website to make the purchase and cut eBay out of the deal.

Now you're creating scenarios and telling me what my stance is on them.  Awesome.  In my posts to you, I have not deemed anything acceptable.  I have only deemed your original scenario to be against eBay's Terms of Service.  You're saying I implied something.  I didn't.  You inferred something and now you're just running with it while dodging your original post.  Instead of owning it, you're trying to justify your actions by throwing different scenarios at me that in your mind "when it comes down to it, it's the same.".

Justify your actions however you like.  Just don't come onto a self-policing and largely upstanding message board and flaunt your disregard for the rules and expect to not have someone say something about it. 

2 minutes ago, Turtle said:

Now you're creating scenarios and telling me what my stance is on them.  Awesome.  In my posts to you, I have not deemed anything acceptable.  I have only deemed your original scenario to be against eBay's Terms of Service.  You're saying I implied something.  I didn't.  You inferred something and now you're just running with it while dodging your original post.  Instead of owning it, you're trying to justify your actions by throwing different scenarios at me that in your mind "when it comes down to it, it's the same.".

Justify your actions however you like.  Just don't come onto a self-policing and largely upstanding message board and flaunt your disregard for the rules and expect to not have someone say something about it. 

I owned up to it when I said it :roflmao:. Again, I gave you a similar scenario of going around eBay to do a deal and am asking why is that OK? You said

”That’s not at all what I’m saying”

so, yes I “implied” by your statement that you are OK with that scenario. If you are not than I am sorry to have put words in your mouth.

But in both scenarios, I found an item on eBay and went around eBay to make a deal. My initial point I was trying to make was is one OK and the other isn’t and if so why not. 

5 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

I owned up to it when I said it :roflmao:. Again, I gave you a similar scenario of going around eBay to do a deal and am asking why is that OK? You said

”That’s not at all what I’m saying”

so, yes I “implied” by your statement that you are OK with that scenario. If you are not than I am sorry to have put words in your mouth.

But in both scenarios, I found an item on eBay and went around eBay to make a deal. My initial point I was trying to make was is one OK and the other isn’t and if so why not. 

Again, I am not commenting on any scenario except the one you presented initially.

Remember, in your first scenario, you said you "made offers (as a buyer) to people on eBay"  and then proceeded to move the transaction off of ebay.  This, no matter how you spin it, is against the ebay Terms of Service.  Ebay provides a message system to connect buyers and sellers and they explicitly don't want people using this system to move transactions off their site.  In essence, this is using their service to avoid their fees.  This is a big reason why ebay put measures in place to try to prevent people from sharing phone numbers or e-mail addresses in their message system.  They don't want people using the service and then circumventing the fees, which is exactly what you've stated you did. 

Getting back to your first question of "Is it really that bad?".  In the grand scheme of things, as far as crimes go, it's certainly pretty low on the totem pole...somewhere around jaywalking.  But it's still wrong as it explicitly violates eBay's Terms of Service.

2 minutes ago, Turtle said:

Again, I am not commenting on any scenario except the one you presented initially.

Remember, in your first scenario, you said you "made offers (as a buyer) to people on eBay"  and then proceeded to move the transaction off of ebay.  This, no matter how you spin it, is against the ebay Terms of Service.  Ebay provides a message system to connect buyers and sellers and they explicitly don't want people using this system to move transactions off their site.  In essence, this is using their service to avoid their fees.  This is a big reason why ebay put measures in place to try to prevent people from sharing phone numbers or e-mail addresses in their message system.  They don't want people using the service and then circumventing the fees, which is exactly what you've stated you did. 

Getting back to your first question of "Is it really that bad?".  In the grand scheme of things, as far as crimes go, it's certainly pretty low on the totem pole...somewhere around jaywalking.  But it's still wrong as it explicitly violates eBay's Terms of Service.

I remember what I said. It must be nice to pick and choose what you want to respond to in order to make a point.

5 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

I remember what I said. It must be nice to pick and choose what you want to respond to in order to make a point.

I just stick to the matter at hand and don't let myself get distracted by a litany of other scenarios that just serve to obfuscate the main point. 

We can have a discussion about any scenario you want.  However, it doesn't change the fact that the original scenario as you presented it is against eBay's Terms of Service.

20 minutes ago, Turtle said:

I just stick to the matter at hand and don't let myself get distracted by a litany of other scenarios that just serve to obfuscate the main point. 

We can have a discussion about any scenario you want.  However, it doesn't change the fact that the original scenario as you presented it is against eBay's Terms of Service.

20 minutes ago, Turtle said:

Apparently not. Your first paragraph contradicts your second paragraph. I have have been trying to have a discussion about other scenarios!

9 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

Apparently not. Your first paragraph contradicts your second paragraph. I have have been trying to have a discussion about other scenarios!

Let's refresh ourselves with how we got here.  The following was posted about coasttocoastcomics:

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 6:35 PM, cpfefer said:

Avoid coasttocoastcomics(aka Frank Simmons) like the plague.  This guy is using his title as Overstreet advisor to scan people.  He will put a picture of a comic up for bidding on Ebay then when a person contacts him about more details on the book he will use different ways to get your email.  He then emails you with an offer and completes the transaction outside of Ebay.  He's  been doing this for years using different names, but his most recent Ebay seller is coasttocoastcomics.

Which got this reply:

22 hours ago, Red_Hood said:

Honestly, I wouldn't call that tactic a scam as he's not tricking a person to buy something but that tactic is a scum-bucket move since he's using eBay to draw traffic to his items for sale and avoiding the fees.

Your first response was quoting Red_Hood's comment.  You basically stated that you did essentially the same thing as coasttocoastcomics and don't see the harm in it, seemingly because the buyer and the seller walk away happy. 

All my replies revolve around this scenario.

If you'd like to talk about other scenarios, start up another thread and I'll be happy to join in.  Trying to change the variables to alter the scenario being discussed in this thread only serves to distract from the subject at hand and I don't wish to derail that as I find this kind of calling out valuable on these boards.