• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,321 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, originalisbest said:

voh35.png

Just a little ahead of #30, my favorite Vault cover!  After looking at this little run of horror issues something occured to me. The 3 "Goulantics" seem to be pretty different on every issue.  Almost like the cover artist drew them himself as part of the cover instead of stats. I know that is not the case because most of them like the Old Witch for instance, is usually done by Ghastly. Just an observation...

They did change over time -- eventually (not all at once) moving from Feldstein-drawn stats for all three, to a Craig Vault-Keeper, an Ingels Old Witch, and a Davis Crypt-Keeper. I note TFTC #34 has the new CK and OW, but not VK yet (probably because Craig was being slow/a perfectionist!) But even though the portraits did change, they were all stats, with one exception:

(Confirmed as Russ Cochran auctioned the original cover recently) -- Tales from the Crypt #35 has a hand-drawn Crypt-Keeper roundrel, a rather menacing one; Jack drew it in (presumably) because he didn't have a stat handy, or maybe the one he had ready to go got scratched or crumpled (I'm theorizing.) Being Davis, he was able to quickly draw the replacement as part of the original art. Stat-shmat! :)

Edited by originalisbest
Added details