• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,323 posts in this topic

On 4/4/2018 at 9:27 PM, EC ed said:

Yes...and if I meet an untimely end, I assign the burden of preserving this knowledge to you - you know where to find the information that you will need (hint: my journal)

:D

We should probably pin those entries from your journal at the top of this thread. :idea:

29 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I've never been sure whether the kids are playing or whether there's a dead kid in the coffin.  The added touch of the adults heckling them adds to the weirdness.

Spoiler

there's a dead kid in the coffin.great story.

Edited by porcupine48

On 4/4/2018 at 10:17 PM, sacentaur said:

Rec'd my CGC 8.5 copy of VoH 33 from a boardie, and am very happy with the book. 

The cover is different for an EC, but I find myself being intrigued by it - what do you all think of this cover (image from GCD)?

VoH33.jpg

A  very ominous cover, subverting American values at a time when to do so was practically a death sentence professionally. And, in hindsight after reading the story, it's one of the most nightmarish issues EC ever released.

On 4/7/2018 at 4:16 PM, Larryw7 said:

A  very ominous cover, subverting American values at a time when to do so was practically a death sentence professionally. And, in hindsight after reading the story, it's one of the most nightmarish issues EC ever released.

It's a creep-out story, to be sure -- the adults heckling the kids don't realize that they're not just "playing" funeral. The kid lowermost on the cover is the only one that doesn't work for me -- Craig drew him sort of like a "tweenager."

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

The horror has always been lower on my personal preferences with the EC’s, with the humor and SF books swapping between the 1st and 2nd places and the war books a close third.  But that cover always amazes me every time I see it... 

It's an amazing and unique cover

8 hours ago, SAKI said:

It's an amazing and unique cover

It's a favorite of mine also (even though I don't own a copy as of yet), and I've always wondered about the original art to this cover. I'd like to lift the stat and see the other eye of that ghoul! :bigsmile:

2 hours ago, Jayman said:

It's a favorite of mine also (even though I don't own a copy as of yet), and I've always wondered about the original art to this cover. I'd like to lift the stat and see the other eye of that ghoul! :bigsmile:

Jayman, I would love to see the original art as well. IDW published an Graham Ingels artist edition where you can see his original art, and I believe this cover is included.

13 hours ago, SAKI said:

Haunt of Fear.jpg

You should totally sell this to me. 

If I recall, it WAS for sale a few months ago, but was taken down. 

This is my EC grail. I love me some Ghastly! 

23 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

Image result for Haunt of Fear 18

How about 18?

Yep, equally on par. I do think it needs color though. So much Ghastly detail is hard to focus on. Besides the color adds the "mood" to this one. (Not mine by the way, swiped from the internet) This is one of those Marie Severin hand colored editions I believe. 

8484738976_6f95e1bb4b_b.jpg

1 hour ago, goldust40 said:

I've often wondered how E.C. managed to get this book onto American newstands - just so overtly horrific. Ghastly was way ahead of his time.

Envious of that copy. (worship)

Actually, not as bad as these two... It blows me away, that an 8 year old kid with a mercury dime could buy one of these right off the stands. I remember when comic book stores could get shut down for selling undergrounds to kids under 18 (not that it stopped me...)

20-1.jpg

5-Vault-833x1200.jpg