• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,315 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, sacentaur said:

Agreed - while VoH 35 does not have a gruesome cover, it's pending bloody terror in contrast with the Xmas theme is second-to-none.

One of EC's best, IMHO.

It’s a great cover, no question.

But me? I’d have closed those drapes first.

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 5:37 PM, ThothAmon said:

I’ve had this book a long time. Never really understood how Panic fit into Gaines plan for EC. It appears he was trying to rip off his own Mad success?  Pretty book though. 

99262612-D6BB-4573-97E9-4D2118313369.jpeg

My small contribution to the fantastic EC legacy is this key comment on the CGC label. EC's colorful history needs to be preserved for the ages, and I couldn't resist fitting this one in. I'm very happy to see that no one has ever altered it. Thanks for bringing back a great memory for me...  (worship)

Edited by The Lions Den
Additional info added

I’m too lazy to go back and look, but has anyone done a top 10 ECs list in this thread? Given that it seems like they’ve picked up steam in the market lately, I thought it might be fun to put one together. Other opinions welcome!

1. Crime Suspenstories 22

2. Weird Science Fantasy 29

3. Vault of Horror 12

4. Mad 1

5. Shock Suspenstories 6

6. Vault of Horror 30

7. Crime Suspenstories 20

8. Crime Patrol 15

9. War Against Crime 10

10. Vault of Horror 35

35 minutes ago, mrmitchgro said:

I’m too lazy to go back and look, but has anyone done a top 10 ECs list in this thread? Given that it seems like they’ve picked up steam in the market lately, I thought it might be fun to put one together. Other opinions welcome!

1. Crime Suspenstories 22

2. Weird Science Fantasy 29

3. Vault of Horror 12

4. Mad 1

5. Shock Suspenstories 6

6. Vault of Horror 30

7. Crime Suspenstories 20

8. Crime Patrol 15

9. War Against Crime 10

10. Vault of Horror 35

Top 10 list based on value or popularity?

I had COT 17 at 11, so definitely considered that one.

This brings up an interesting trend where the value of the “traditionally” desirable ECs (COT 17, HOF 1, CP 15, VOH 12, etc) have increased as the overall PCH market has, but it seems like the “new trend” (see what I did there?) is for really dramatic increases on the books with desirable cover art (CSS 22, VOH 30, CSS 20, SSS 6). There haven’t been a whole lot of high grade copies of those that have sold lately, but I think we’d be surprised at some of the prices they’d bring (like Shock 6!).

1 hour ago, mrmitchgro said:

I had COT 17 at 11, so definitely considered that one.

This brings up an interesting trend where the value of the “traditionally” desirable ECs (COT 17, HOF 1, CP 15, VOH 12, etc) have increased as the overall PCH market has, but it seems like the “new trend” (see what I did there?) is for really dramatic increases on the books with desirable cover art (CSS 22, VOH 30, CSS 20, SSS 6). There haven’t been a whole lot of high grade copies of those that have sold lately, but I think we’d be surprised at some of the prices they’d bring (like Shock 6!).

I’m sure this is way more accurate than I want it to be.

I still like historically significant books more than covers, but there’s no arguing that covers rule currently.

23 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

That's a beauty! :applause: 

I'm glad you kept the COA. Alas, it's sad that CGC no longer includes the Gaines File Copy status on their labels.   

That wasn't just a one-time mistake?  It's policy, now, not to mention the GFC pedigree status on the label???

5 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

That wasn't just a one-time mistake?  It's policy, now, not to mention the GFC pedigree status on the label???

It’s still included on CGC’s list of pedigrees on their site (shrug)

7 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

I'm voting for it being a mistake.  I can't think of any reason why they would de-pedigree GFCs.

1 hour ago, MustEatBrains said:

I don't know the back story on this particular book but checking with the boardie I purchased from for additional info if he has.

You can contact CGC and ask about it.  If it's a mistake, they'll reslab it with the corrected label for free. 

Be interesting to hear what you find out.