• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,321 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

Yes!  EC's look great in any grade!  I spent years looking for this perfectly beautiful mid-grade copy of Weird Fantasy #21.  Who needs a nicer copy?  

wf21.jpg

I can live with a grade like that all day long. I'm working on my 3rd set of EC's shooting for that very area. I am also looking for a real low grade reading set that sit un-bagged on a shelf in the closet in no particular order. When I need an EC fix, I just grab a handfull and jump on the couch :x

On June 5, 2018 at 11:48 AM, ThothAmon said:

Just that the condition, paper quality and cost of almost all non Gaines Pedigree copies pales in comparison.  Imagine the impact on the SA market if Stan had put 10 of every known Marvel away and kept them pristine?  

Great book!  There are non Gaines copies floating around that are on par quality and condition wise with GFC.  I almost think those should be worth more since condition withstood the test of time in circulation.  I'm always a glass half full kinda guy!

On 6/8/2018 at 9:26 PM, Illustrious said:

Picked this up recently:

28809408368_38632475e4_b.jpg

That cover story is a shocker. Count Dracula himself would have nightmares(daymares?) after reading it.

19 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

That cover story is a shocker. Count Dracula himself would have nightmares(daymares?) after reading it.

Wow, that good huh? I was already chomping at the bit to crack it and read it, now I'm even closer to doing it. hm  I could just get the Gemstone reprint of the issue for a reading copy to satisfy the urge, but it's just not the same without that vintage comic smell.

Didn't realize there was a 2nd issue of this until a few days ago.  Never quite sure how to consider these; on one level I don't think of anything created post 1956 other than MAD to be an EC.  But on another level, Two-Fisted Tales edited and written by Harvey Kurtzman surely deserves consideration over pretty much anything else when it comes to being a EC revival.

Glad to have them, in any case.

Two_Fisted_Tales_New_1.jpg

Two_Fisted_Tales_New_2.jpg

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Very cool. Never seen those before. What are they like inside? Stories and artists?

Kind of weird that they have both the EC and Dark Horse logos. Didn’t Gaines or Warner Communications own the EC copyright then?. 

I imagine Harvey did it with their permission/blessing. :)

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Got a great book in the mail yesterday. When I was a kid, my uncle gave me a half a dozen of his ECs. My mom saw me reading this one and tore it up. Figured it would give me nightmares and was probably right but I loved them. Glad to have this super creepy issue back in my collection again.

948AE992-9C94-4D62-A993-0FE8132E32A6.jpeg

Great ish, one I still need! Mom also disapproved of my budding interest in ECs, but not enough to tear any of them up!

14 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Very cool. Never seen those before. What are they like inside? Stories and artists?

Kind of weird that they have both the EC and Dark Horse logos. Didn’t Gaines or Warner Communications own the EC copyright then?. 

They had permission/ licensing/ whatever to do the books.

Harvey was officially Editor in Chief of the books; both issues featured one classic EC reprint written (and in one case, drawn) by him.  The 2nd issue had a story written and rough penciled by Kurtzman; supposedly his last comic story before his death.  And of course he did the covers; with Eisner on the 1st issue and Stout on the 2nd.  Don Lomax, a fairly obvious choice, did stories in both issues; 2 in the first.  Spain Rodriguez had a story in the 1st issue, as well.  Otherwise, mostly not creators I recognize.

I don't think the books were entirely successful as "new EC's"; but they both definitely have worthwhile stuff in them.