• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,321 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, fifties said:

Took me a loooong time to snag what I think is the best Vault cover;

Vault of Horror 13.jpg

I'm getting a "The Fall of the House of Usher" vibe from this cover and EC was definitely influenced by Poe hm

Edited by creaturefan95
war is hell

Fresh in today, a low grade reader copy run of Impact (well, 4 of 5 issues).

It's interesting, the New Direction books tend to get looked at as a footnote between the New Trend and Mad when they're mentioned at all.  Bernie Krigstein, while highly regarded, is not normally considered one of the major EC artists.

But I don't think anybody would argue with you if you called "Master Race" the best story EC ever published.  They may not agree with you... I'm not sure it actually has my vote... but I don't think anybody would say it's not one of the few that's in the running.

Odd tangent that I don't think I would have noticed without the images side by side like this:  They redrew the lightning bolt but not the figure in the sidebar each issue.

Anyway, some good reading for me tonight... I'm not sure I've actually seen any of the stories other than "Master Race" before.

Impact_1.jpg

Impact_3.jpg

Impact_4.jpg

Impact_5.jpg

2 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Fresh in today, a low grade reader copy run of Impact (well, 4 of 5 issues).

It's interesting, the New Direction books tend to get looked at as a footnote between the New Trend and Mad when they're mentioned at all.  Bernie Krigstein, while highly regarded, is not normally considered one of the major EC artists.

But I don't think anybody would argue with you if you called "Master Race" the best story EC ever published.  They may not agree with you... I'm not sure it actually has my vote... but I don't think anybody would say it's not one of the few that's in the running.

Odd tangent that I don't think I would have noticed without the images side by side like this:  They redrew the lightning bolt but not the figure in the sidebar each issue.

Anyway, some good reading for me tonight... I'm not sure I've actually seen any of the stories other than "Master Race" before.

Impact_1.jpg

Impact_3.jpg

Impact_4.jpg

Impact_5.jpg

i have all the impact books but have only read 1 and 2. and yes "master race" should be up there for one of the best stories! but i really like the prose in issue 1 "thirty dollars"! love at its finest!

Piracy is one of my favorite EC runs. Get 'em all you will love them.

Congrats on completing Panic. A fun run if you like MAD. But what is up with the cover on #5? Probably the worst Feldstein cover ever. For a guy who created some of the best GGA covers ever, that is a real mess. Look at her head! And, don't get me started on her feet. Must have either been drinking that day or cranked that one out in a REAL tight deadline...

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Piracy is one of my favorite EC runs. Get 'em all you will love them.

Congrats on completing Panic. A fun run if you like MAD. But what is up with the cover on #5? Probably the worst Feldstein cover ever. For a guy who created some of the best GGA covers ever, that is a real mess. Look at her head! And, don't get me started on her feet. Must have either been drinking that day or cranked that one out in a REAL tight deadline...

I think he drew her that way on purpose, with the enlarged head and feet at each end to mock Cinemascope.  I dunno, just my take.

19 minutes ago, fifties said:

I think he drew her that way on purpose, with the enlarged head and feet at each end to mock Cinemascope.  I dunno, just my take.

Somewhat to my surprise, and somewhat unusually for the book, it's actually illustrating a story in the issue where they're making fun of the cinemascope films.

I would be quite interested to see somebody skilled in Photoshop undistort the curve on the image, to see how accurate Feldstein got it.

Came across a few books this Summer...thought you might enjoy a couple of pics of a couple EC items...

3D No. 2 was actually falling apart, 4 or 5 little bitty pieces of the cover, were left on the black background mat I was using.  Cover completely detached, and beat up around the edges, but the interior shows well.  An extra staple seems to be added post production... someone trying to show it a little love decades ago.  No glasses. ( first 6 pics )

3D No. 1 is better.  Cover is completely detached but not so beat up along the edges/corners. Lays nice and flat.  Annnnnnd, (1) partial pair of glasses. ( last 8 pics )

IMG_3144.JPG

IMG_3143.JPG

IMG_3142.JPG

IMG_3141.JPG

IMG_3140.JPG

IMG_3139.JPG

IMG_3145.JPG

IMG_3146.JPG

IMG_3147.JPG

IMG_3148.JPG

IMG_3150.JPG

IMG_3151.JPG

IMG_3152.JPG

IMG_3153.JPG

Edited by Chief1332

2 hours ago, Chief1332 said:

Came across a few books this Summer...thought you might enjoy a couple of pics of a couple EC items...

3D No. 2 was actually falling apart, 4 or 5 little bitty pieces of the cover, were left on the black background mat I was using.  Cover completely detached, and beat up around the edges, but the interior shows well.  An extra staple seems to be added post production... someone trying to show it a little love decades ago.  No glasses. ( first 6 pics )

3D No. 1 is better.  Cover is completely detached but not so beat up along the edges/corners. Lays nice and flat.  Annnnnnd, (1) partial pair of glasses. ( last 8 pics )

IMG_3144.JPG

IMG_3143.JPG

IMG_3142.JPG

IMG_3141.JPG

IMG_3140.JPG

IMG_3139.JPG

IMG_3145.JPG

IMG_3146.JPG

IMG_3147.JPG

IMG_3148.JPG

IMG_3150.JPG

IMG_3151.JPG

IMG_3152.JPG

IMG_3153.JPG

I have both but they are DESTORYED!!! and does anyone know how many glasses came per book...my issue 1 came with 2 glasses (already detached). 

On 9/11/2018 at 4:16 PM, fifties said:
On 9/11/2018 at 10:14 AM, The Professor said:

Got my First Two Fisted tales, will not be my last!

C00F5367-985D-4412-989D-F73D704BABDF.jpeg

Nice copy, I've got that issue as well.  Figured with all the current politically correct hoopla, it's rebel flag depiction might eventually raise it's value.

Two-Fisted Tales #35, Jack Davis's only Civil War cover, is definitely a smart buy!

Edited by creaturefan95
war is hell

1 hour ago, fifties said:

Nice copy, I've got that issue as well.  Figured with all the current politically correct hoopla, it's rebel flag depiction might eventually raise it's value.

I had the same thought, I live in the South. Should be easy to resell if I ever need to. Also thought about getting extra copies for that reason. I have seen people buy issues of Haunted tank for the exact reason.