• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,323 posts in this topic

On 2/18/2019 at 6:53 PM, Robot Man said:

Have any other EC collectors noticed a spike in interest and price? Last night, I bid triple guide on a lower mid grade horror issue and was blown out of the water. I sold almost all my horror and crime titles even in super low grade at the Yorba Linda show. 

They have always been decent sellers in all grades at full to slightly above guide. But everything I seem to want seems to pass me by like I am standing still...

Ive been watching a 2 book lot on eBay for 8-9 months and instead of the books going down this week he added $30 (shrug)

Like some of you, I've read a lot of EC stories yet once in a while something comes along that really sticks. Today for the first time I read "...so shall ye reap!" from Shock #10, illustrated by Wood.

The story is presented in dual format, one perspective is from the parents and the other from a conflicted son. It tackles far-reaching subjects such as bullying, ethics, racism, hypocrisy, and drug use while outlining a young lad's path to juvenile delinquency.

While the ending was rather predictable, the full context of the story was quite a powerful experience - one of the best EC tales I've ever encountered.

4 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Like some of you, I've read a lot of EC stories yet once in a while something comes along that really sticks. Today for the first time I read "...so shall ye reap!" from Shock #10, illustrated by Wood.

The story is presented in dual format, one perspective is from the parents and the other from a conflicted son. It tackles far-reaching subjects such as bullying, ethics, racism, hypocrisy, and drug use while outlining a young lad's path to juvenile delinquency.

While the ending was rather predictable, the full context of the story was quite a powerful experience - one of the best EC tales I've ever encountered.

In this cover and art driven world, I think great story telling falls by the way side a bit. I have found the most thought provoking and best stories are contained in Shock and the two War books. The story that shook my world when I was a kid was "Carrion Death" in Shock #9. Not thought provoking or serious just down right creepy. Scared the outta me and made me want more! I have never forgotton that one.

11 hours ago, Hap Hazard said:

Some new EC artwork.

Panic6 Stout Crypt Keeper.jpg

Love this Hap! I got the idea to do mine pretty late but it was inspired by a piece that Feldstein did of Alfred E Neuman on this issue for Jerry Weist. I love how he incorporated the red star into the eye. Did you ask him for that image or did he just do it? I wish I had the idea years ago. I had the chance with Elder, Davis, and Kurtzman. Nobody left from the EC days now. :sorry:

Stout is a great choice!

10 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Love this Hap! I got the idea to do mine pretty late but it was inspired by a piece that Feldstein did of Alfred E Neuman on this issue for Jerry Weist. I love how he incorporated the red star into the eye. Did you ask him for that image or did he just do it? I wish I had the idea years ago. I had the chance with Elder, Davis, and Kurtzman. Nobody left from the EC days now. :sorry:

Stout is a great choice!

Thanks for the comments Robotman,

I showed him a CryptKeeper sketch by Mike Vosburg, of HBO Tales of the Crypt fame and told him I would like something similar in the EC vein. And this is what he came up with,

like it a lot.

Panic Crypt Keeper Mike Vosburg.jpg

I suppose that now there will be a run on Panic 6. :roflmao:

I’ve got several copies put aside just for this reason. Now I just have to figure who to have do them. Stout is a great choice. I would also like one done by Tom Bunk but probably couldn’t afford his asking price...

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I suppose that now there will be a run on Panic 6. :roflmao:

I’ve got several copies put aside just for this reason. Now I just have to figure who to have do them. Stout is a great choice. I would also like one done by Tom Bunk but probably couldn’t afford his asking price...

Funny you should mention it, there is a guy in the midwest who has about a dozen Panic 6 covers sketched by different folks already, and he has been buying all that I get.

2 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

i'm going to Gettysburg this summer ... a 12 hour drive....

A very spiritual place. We stopped in there when we were "junking" on the east coast one year. To the average person, it now looks like a peaceful place. While walking around I was shuffling my feet and several times I kicked up bullets and small metal parts of things like belt buckles and such. I had the weirdest feeling of great sadness. If any place on earth is haunted, that is one of them...