• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,321 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, KirbyJack said:

The Mad comic run is really fun to put together! Enjoy!

It really is.  That 19 puts me over the half-way mark, so only 11 issues to go.  And I've already got 1 and 2, so 5 is the big problem.  I've also got the first 8 issues in magazine format, which I believe runs out all the Kurtzman inventory material.  I don't count those in my total, of course. 

8 minutes ago, IngelsFan said:

Thanks for the heads up. I cropped it before upload but for some reason it reverted to the uncropped version? Looks like it worked this time.

All good and works on my end too! Nice book and a great cover -- this one, and the Iwo Jima Kurtzman cover (Frontline Combat #7), are among my fave EC war covers. :)

13 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Awsome book and my favorite EC war cover. Jack Davis nailed this one. To me, it’s the eyes. And Marie Severin’s coloring on it is superb! I just think she doesn’t get enough recognition for her color work. Maybe the best in the business. As masterful as the EC artists were, Marie’s coloring just finished each piece.

True enough, though Wally Wood, in his letters, mentioned at one point (in particular with regard to WSF #27) that he personally always did his own colors, so it wasn't always Marie. :) Despite this, GCD just generically assumes WSF 27 was colored by Marie, but I'll go with Wally's personal recollections vs. that.

Could be true. But I would have to assume she did the biggest majority of them.

I know when the Cochran hardbounds came out, I was a little disappointed that she recolored a lot of them. Specifically Vault of Horror #37. The Johnny Craig hanging guy. The original was dark with a lot of brown and black. The new one had a lot of white in the background. Totally ruined the mood of the cover for me. There are others but that one sticks in my mind. Apparently, since she had the chance, she thought she would “fix” some she didn’t like the first time.

2 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Could be true. But I would have to assume she did the biggest majority of them.

I know when the Cochran hardbounds came out, I was a little disappointed that she recolored a lot of them. Specifically Vault of Horror #37. The Johnny Craig hanging guy. The original was dark with a lot of brown and black. The new one had a lot of white in the background. Totally ruined the mood of the cover for me. There are others but that one sticks in my mind. Apparently, since she had the chance, she thought she would “fix” some she didn’t like the first time.

Agreed on that, I'm sure she did the majority. I also didn't care for some of her recolorings, but my understanding was she didn't want to just repeat herself, so I can certainly understand that!

5 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

She was also the “conscience” of EC and had a lot of reservations about the gruesome out put of the company. I heard she tried to “tone down” some of the original stuff. 

“Foul Play” being the best example of this. Rather than go for colorful gore she went monochrome for the final scenes.